Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Total Newbie- Looking for fellow newbies!

Hi everyone, today is my first appointment! I am super nervous. I'm ready but the worry of approval is always on my mind. I'll check back in this afternoon! :)

Hi I started my journey on August 2 there has been a lot of highs and lows the not know is the hardest I found out last week will be having surgery in October or Nov so stay positive good luck we are here for you

Couldn't agree more - not knowing is definitely the hardest. I'm coming up on 2 weeks since my docs were submitted and I just want an answer from insurance already. I know people wait longer, but I'm not always the most patient person in the world. LOL They told me last week that I should expect about 5 business days ... so I'm just going to be stalking them this week. Not sure if I should ask for the contact info for the nurse reviewing the case or just continue talking to the reps that answer the phone. The one I got yesterday wasn't all that helpful. I do kind of wish my doctor would set a tentative surgery date, even though we're still waiting. I mean, there's really no reason they shouldn't approve me (which is kind of sad, but whatever) and I'd feel so much better having something on the books.< /p>

Hi jezika!

I am a newbie too! I had my 1st Dr's appt on March 31,2014 & after all the NUT, Psych,PT & Dr's visits I was approved by July & I had my VSG on August 18 th 1 week out! It seems like it takes forever to get your surgery but.... Just keeping thinking positively! And you will get there. Good luck to you and just take it day by day. The weight didn't come on overnight. ( although it feels like it sometimes) ;) glad to add you to "my friends"

I'm back from my first appt! :)

According to that office, BCBS Highmark still has the 6 month supervised diet pre-req. when I told her that I heard it was changed, she said she check to see if there was an updated policy. HOWEVER, even if my insurance doesn't require it, they do. Well, sort of. The timeline they gave me was spaced out into six months but I don't think it is exactly 6 months to the day until they submit. As soon as I have all my pre-reqs done, I should be good to submit. I was really hoping that I could possibly schedule a December surgery but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. My "homework" is to log my food and concentrate on one aspect I can do better this month-for instance-get in my Water, or cut back on portions....and on September 17th, we'll go over my food log and I'll have my NUT class and hopefully I can squeeze in the Support group meeting next month too.

Hi everyone, I too am in the beginning process. I am waiting to schedule my sleep ap test and upperGI,, I was at the doctors last Tuesday and I am still waiting for them to call to set up my tests. I already had blood work and ekg so just waiting for two other tests.. I have to call tomorrow to see about scheduling surgery. hope to get a late sept or early oct appointment. best of luck to all playing the waiting game

I just had my psych eval yesterday. It went really well, I wasn't sure how it would go. The only sorta bummer is she takes about 2 weeks to write up the results and send them over to my surgeon's office. It's the last thing they need before they submit to insurance. I'll be on vacation all next week though, so at least I know around the time I get back it should all be submitted.

Holy cow! I just got my approval! Not only that, but I've got my surgery scheduled. September 18th!

All I can say - once that info gets submitted, call your insurance and make friends with someone. The first first person I spoke to is the one that made sure the docs got where they were going, kept me updated and called me today to tell me I was approved. I'm SO grateful - especially after all of the horror stories I've heard.

23 Days and I'll be on the Loser's Bench...

Hi...I'm brand new myself hopefully getting the sleeve going in for my very first appointment on September 8th so your a little further along then me but I would also love someone to take the journey with me!! :)

I was excited, thinking I had gotten "an appointment to talk to the surgeon", but what I actually got - and it's tomorrow - is an appointment to attend an introductory lecture by the surgeon.

The office staff won't even discuss what comes next, I guess because it's so individual.

Oh well, everyone has to start someplace. I have a list of questions to take with me.

On the bright side, I have been super conscious of my chewing, since I have been reading on here how you have to relearn how to chew your food really, really, REALLY thoroughly and it has been helping my digestion. Who knew?

Jan

Yeah I has to attend a seminar before I even got a first initial appointment now at this one in supposed to see the surgeons, nurse, nutritionist and theorist but I have no idea hat comes after that! My insurance told me today that they don't require me to be on any diets or to lose 5% or anything all I have to do is have he surgeon send a predetermination 15 days before surgery and we wait to see what happens, I was expecting to have to diet and lose weight and do all kinds of stuff so I have nooooo clue what to expect!!!

It's funny how every doctor is different with there requirements and also how all insurance is different the waiting is so hard it seems that all I do is go to appointments but it will all be worth it can't wait went today and picked up a few different Protein Drinks to try

Hi lovelies! I'm a newbie as well. So far I've gone through my initial appointment, pre-op screenings, sleep study, NUT visit #1 of 3, psych visit #1 of 2, and am working on losing the 15 lbs I ironically have to lose to placate my insurance company (wellll...10 lbs to placate the insurance co., the other 5 to make up for the 5 I gained having all those food funerals!)

Looking forward to getting to know you all as we move into this next phase of our lives!

The waiting so far has seemed to take so long. I can only imagine how nervous I'll be for the wait after everything's submitted to insurance. I'm thinking early October at the very earliest if insurance approves me right away.