Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Total Newbie- Looking for fellow newbies!

Needles don't bother me too much. I've had so many surgeries, I wonder how many I could have skipped If I was able to do this 20 yrs ago. Hysterectomy, 2 knee replaced 2 hernia surgeries and gall bladder( tho to be fair every woman in my mother's family had her gall bladder removed within a year of having a baby. My fear is, failure. I am a strong woman and I can do this. It's just that little door in the back of my mind where the self doubt hides...

I am right there with you, well except for the knees, only one hernia surgery. My appendix exploded and I developed sepsis, after all that cleared up they did the removal of what was left. You are STRONG and we are here to help you so you will not fail. When questioning yourself look us up I will add you as a friend and reassure you the YOU CAN do this.

<p>I have my surgery on October 27, 2014 in Mexico. I am stuggling with with my love for food and the fear of not being able to stay on the diet required before and after. I have so many question and so many fears. I'm going alone, I live alone, and this will all be on me. I can only take a week off work so I'll be in a rough place, since I work eight hours from home, and don't have access to a fridge, stove or a town to even go to a doctor if things go bad. I'm also scared of loosing something I love the most (food), instead of what I hate the most (FAT)!</p> [/

I so agree about the fear of giving up food, but then I think about the pain of overeating . I know that I can't just eat a reasonable amount. I intend to, but can't stop and end up feeling sick and sluggish. We can still eat good food just smaller amounts. I know my brain can't do it by myself. So hopefully the sleeve will be the tool I need. Good luck!

Oh man!!! Today I did my blood work, went to the lab they "only" took 10 vials because a couple of weeks ago my PCP did a couple of tests already. I had to go back for my H Pylorus test. It is a good thing too, the first tech mislabeled all my vials so I had to fill 10 more. Holy Moly!!!!! What a day.

I tested positive for the H pylori. It sucks they give you so many pills to take. I'm taking 8 a day and hopefully they work. I've heard they can be antibiotic resistant if you have taken alot in your life and boy have I I taken a but load. So I really hope they work I don't think I can take any more pills

November for me! I'm going to Mexico! Dr. Quinones! I know a few people here on this site that went to him and a few of my coworkers!! So with being said I am headed his way! Pray for me and keep me in your thoughts.! I still have time but I am beyond excited!

Hi all! I'm a newbie too. I have my first appointment on august 20. (3I'm hoping to have the sleeve done) That will be the information appointment where I will get my packet of info and things that need to be done. I know I have to go to 3 NUT consults, a psych eval, and 2 or 3 support groups before I'm cleared to even meet with the actual surgeon. I have Tricare and have to get it done on base. I'm hoping it all goes well. I'm so nervous I won't be approved for surgery!! I am so ready for this!

I am right there with you, well except for the knees, only one hernia surgery. My appendix exploded and I developed sepsis, after all that cleared up they did the removal of what was left. You are STRONG and we are here to help you so you will not fail. When questioning yourself look us up I will add you as a friend and reassure you the YOU CAN do this.

Thanks. I'll add you too. Everyone is so helpful

I would love to have some buddies to help me through this journey. I have my consultation with my surgeon on Friday. I can't wait!!! I'm ready to get this process started.

Hello all!!

My name is Amy,

I just started my process. I went to my seminar last Thursday. I have been a member of the site for a while now but just lurking and reading everything! I initially wanted to have surgery back in 2010 but was looking into RnY because my ins. didn't cover sleeve at that time. Well after much thought I decided not to go any further with surgery and wanted to give it one last try on my own. So here I am four years later after losing 20 and re-gaining 40+ lbs I am READY to get this Sleeve DONE!!

I have BCBS Illinois and I do not have to do a supervised diet but I do have to wait until the first of the year to have surgery since the plan I am on right now is just a Health Care Account and I will need to switch over to a full coverage plan to cover the procedure.

I want to get all my appointments out of the way though so I will be doing my nut visits and my psych eval. all prior to the first of the year so once my ins is switched I will be rolling into the OR!

If anyone needs someone to talk to I am usually stalking around looking at before and afters and reading all the stories (with a few hidden tears and sniffles from time to time since I am at work..lol).

Hi Amy, I have bcbsil as well. Be careful doing all the pre-op requirements too soon. my surgeon told me some test are only good for 90 days before surgery. unfortunately, I can't remember which ones. Just check w/your doctor. It would be a bummer to have to go through testing twice. Best wishes

For those of you who have started the process, are in process. Can you spell out what you've been asked to do so far?

For instance, did you need to get a referral from your family doc? What was the first meeting with the Bariatric Team like? What did they require you do before approving you for surgery? (I know each is different, I'm curious...)

I don't meet with the Bariatric docs here until August 26th. I'm curious to see what others have experienced and what they've been told the process is... THANK YOU!!!

Hi Katie, I have an HMO, so yes, I had to get a referral. Because I have to high BMI it was no problem getting approved. I met w/the bariatric team in June which inc the nurse, nutritionist,exercise physiologist & the surgeon. Everyone was super friendly. My first appt lasted three hours. They gave me a printout of everything we discussed, which was helpful, because the first appointment was so overwhelming. I was instructed to do the following: pulmonary test, blood work,chest X-ray, resting metabolic test, stress test, psychologist,ultrasound of the gallbladder & sleep study. I have two more test to go.

I met w/the bariatric team again in July- it was basically a follow-up. My next appointment with them is in August and I will get my date then, provided all my test results are in. Will prob get sleeved in Oct. no weight loss requirements. Whew! A lot right? But I know it will be well worth it in the end.

Good luck at your first appointment!

I'm a newbie too! My doctor appointment is for August 14th. Aetna requires a 3 month supervised plan, a pscyh eval and a nutrition eval. I've started the diet and just had the psych eval today (passed!). I'm pretty sure I want to have the sleeve done. I'm looking for friends I can lean on too.

Hi jezika

My 1st surgeons appointment is on 8-9-14 just one week to go. It's taken 5 mths just to get his appointment.

Since then I hav been monitored by a dietitian and attended Counciling.

I'm so ready and excited and can't wait for an appointment for surgery

I hav a family history of diabetes, heard disease and stroke.

I'm living with sleep apnea and hav already had turbanettes in my nose removed to help.

I hav cleaned out my pantry and even given it a new fresh colour.

I've tossed out 3/4 of my clothes.

Any tips for when I see my surgeon?

Cheers Debrah

hi, I am new at this too. Had appointment with surgeon, got pretesting done, now its pschological , dietician and one support group left. My doctor says Sept but no official date yet. It's scarey and exciting all at the same time. Hopefully we will all be shedding lots of weight together soon!

Seeing everyone getting surgery days and surgeons say possibly next month is making me so jealous lolz. I haven't even met my surgeon yet. How is it some of you have met yours already. I can even set an appointment with him until I'm done with all my pre qualifications. This process is just so long.