Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Total Newbie- Looking for fellow newbies!

Hello all!!

My name is Amy,

I just started my process. I went to my seminar last Thursday. I have been a member of the site for a while now but just lurking and reading everything! I initially wanted to have surgery back in 2010 but was looking into RnY because my ins. didn't cover sleeve at that time. Well after much thought I decided not to go any further with surgery and wanted to give it one last try on my own. So here I am four years later after losing 20 and re-gaining 40+ lbs I am READY to get this Sleeve DONE!!

I have BCBS Illinois and I do not have to do a supervised diet but I do have to wait until the first of the year to have surgery since the plan I am on right now is just a Health Care Account and I will need to switch over to a full coverage plan to cover the procedure.

I want to get all my appointments out of the way though so I will be doing my nut visits and my psych eval. all prior to the first of the year so once my ins is switched I will be rolling into the OR!

If anyone needs someone to talk to I am usually stalking around looking at before and afters and reading all the stories (with a few hidden tears and sniffles from time to time since I am at work..lol).

Ok newbies, I friended all of yall. :D I had my 1st appt today and the fat ball is rolling. Made my lab appts for tomorrow and waiting on the NUT to call and set up my appt. Woo hoo. :lol: I have also sent an email to the Psychologist requesting an eval appt. I am really glad that I dont have to do a sleep study. I hate those. :wacko:

I am so glad that this forum is here and we can support each other during this time.

I am a super newbie. I have my referral appt. this thurs. I've struggled most of my adult life with my weight. At one point I lost 100 pounds on jenny craig and with in a year gained it all back. Once I gained it back I felt hopless especially since I knew what I could look and feel like. I am really scared of the whole idea of surgery and complications, but it seems like every thing I read, even those with complications do not regreat there decision, so here I go jumping into this whole crazy thing feet first.

For those of you who have started the process, are in process. Can you spell out what you've been asked to do so far?

For instance, did you need to get a referral from your family doc? What was the first meeting with the Bariatric Team like? What did they require you do before approving you for surgery? (I know each is different, I'm curious...)

I don't meet with the Bariatric docs here until August 26th. I'm curious to see what others have experienced and what they've been told the process is... THANK YOU!!!

Well Insurances always make you jump through hoops. But depending on the things you have tried before to lose weight will sometimes help. My insurance usually has you do 6 month of dietitian meetings before we can be approved along with a psychological evaluation, but because I had tried weight watchers the cut me down to only 2 meetings. So as long as she thinks I'm ready when we meet Aug 12th i should be all set to go. Still have to meet with my surgeon and see if he adds anything but so far it's been easy. I hope it's that way for you. It's the waiting that's the hardest on all of us. ????

If I am remembering correctly, I believe the requirements are lengthy for my Bariatric Team. I spoke with someone about a year ago who said I have to meet with a NUT and Psych, and complete some physical testingI was also told there is a whole book and binder full of modules for me to complete, as well as so many support group meetings, and educational classes to complete. It's the typical 6 month process I guess.

Hey everyone! I am new to this community!

I just went for my initial appointment on July 18th. I have started going for some of my doctor's appointments already and have most of my stuff planned out for what I want to do. My doctor said my surgery can be done in 3 months. But I know that it can take up to 6 months to get done. I'm looking for fellow Bariatric Surgery preferably Sleeve, that are in the beginning stages of appointments!

Hello, I am new to this community also. I have had my nutrition classes and I have started taking my Vitamins. I have an appointment to see my doctor today hopefully to schedule a surgery date.

I just had my initial consultation with the surgeon today. I'm slightly overwhelmed by all the stuff I have to complete, even though none of it is really a surprise.

I've already met the 6 month diet program requirement. Insurance also requires a psych evaluation and a medical clearance from my PCP.

In addition, the surgeon requires 3 nutritional classes. An endoscopy, a sleep study, and various blood work panels, and EKG.

I left out of there with my first nutrition/exercise class scheduled for Aug. 8th. I have to schedule my psych eval, have my doctor send the medical clearance, and have my diet program proof sent over. Sheesh.

Ok so how many of you hate needles and are freaking out about all the blood work we need and the IV? I know I am

My first appointment is tomorrow. I have no idea what this doctor will say. Very nervous.

Ok. So I'm adding you as a friend. We need to keep up with one another. I need a buddy at my "level" of the procedure.

Ive finished my appointments, my gastric sleeve surgery is 8-13

Ok so how many of you hate needles and are freaking out about all the blood work we need and the IV? I know I am

Needles don't bother me too much. I've had so many surgeries, I wonder how many I could have skipped If I was able to do this 20 yrs ago. Hysterectomy, 2 knee replaced 2 hernia surgeries and gall bladder( tho to be fair every woman in my mother's family had her gall bladder removed within a year of having a baby. My fear is, failure. I am a strong woman and I can do this. It's just that little door in the back of my mind where the self doubt hides...

I am a super newbie. I have my referral appt. this thurs. I've struggled most of my adult life with my weight. At one point I lost 100 pounds on jenny craig and with in a year gained it all back. Once I gained it back I felt hopless especially since I knew what I could look and feel like. I am really scared of the whole idea of surgery and complications, but it seems like every thing I read, even those with complications do not regreat there decision, so here I go jumping into this whole crazy thing feet first.

I think that is good for you to know that complications are out there but dont focus and make that your main concern. Research your surgeon and there team, and let the know how you are feeling and how your can handle it better.

For those of you who have started the process, are in process. Can you spell out what you've been asked to do so far? For instance, did you need to get a referral from your family doc? What was the first meeting with the Bariatric Team like? What did they require you do before approving you for surgery? (I know each is different, I'm curious...) I don't meet with the Bariatric docs here until August 26th. I'm curious to see what others have experienced and what they've been told the process is... THANK YOU!!!

Well I literally just started my process on Mon. Had my first consult and received my list of "things to do ". I am required to do some blood work the H pylorus test, endoscopy, nutritionist, physc eval. The doc wants me to journal all my food and exercise 5 times a week 20 min each time .

Oh man!!! Today I did my blood work, went to the lab they "only" took 10 vials because a couple of weeks ago my PCP did a couple of tests already. I had to go back for my H Pylorus test. It is a good thing too, the first tech mislabeled all my vials so I had to fill 10 more. Holy Moly!!!!! What a day.