Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Total Newbie- Looking for fellow newbies!

Hey everyone! I am new to this community!

I just went for my initial appointment on July 18th. I have started going for some of my doctor's appointments already and have most of my stuff planned out for what I want to do. My doctor said my surgery can be done in 3 months. But I know that it can take up to 6 months to get done. I'm looking for fellow Bariatric Surgery preferably Sleeve, that are in the beginning stages of appointments!

Hi Jessica!

I have just scheduled my surgery for sept 17. Appointments were fairly easy had them finished in a month. By the time the doctors coordinator got everything to insurance it was 2 weeks before approval. Due to summer vacations n someone on maternity I had to wait. Feeling nervous n excited at the same time

Hey Kristina,

It's going to come up so fast! What have you found to be hardest part so far?

I have my first Appt with my Surgeon on Aug 6th. I am at least 6 months out because my insurance requires 6 month weight management be done before approval. Long trek but it will be over in no time.

HI Jezika,

I have my first appt tomorrow to get things rolling. So tomorrow I will see what I need to do and what appts I need to make. I hope it doesnt take too long. I am hoping for good things tomorrow. I am nervous.

Hey,

i just started this to I've only had one NUT appointment and i have to meet with her one more time before i can set a surgery date but I'm still pretty early in to the process. I'm looking for some sleeve buddies to so I'm not alone in this. I'm here if you ever need to talk.This process cant be a pain in the butt. :D

Ok. So I'm adding you as a friend. We need to keep up with one another. I need a buddy at my "level" of the procedure.

I'm in the app and have no idea how to add friend?!

im not sure how to use the app. it drove me nuts so i just use website so much easier

I'm a newbie!!! I just scheduled my referral appt with my family doc this Wednesday and can't get in to see the Bariatric docs until August 26th. I'm so excited but also worried at the same time. I'm currently 5'3 and 245lbs...so my BMI is a 43 by the CDC.gov site calculator.

I'm pretty sure my insurance (Highmark PPO Blue, Pennsylvania) still has the 6 month education requirement but I am so ready to begin this process. I would LOVE to make some friends on here to talk with as we go through this!

-Katie

Edited by KatieD6982

I have my initial consultation with the surgeon tomorrow morning. (I made the appointment 2.5 weeks ago and even that wait has seemed to take so long!)

No idea how long it will all take. My only insurance requirements, other than bmi/weight, are to have a psych evaluation. Even if there is a supervised weight loss program requirement, I should already meet it - I've been on one for a year.

The webinar I attended before making the appointment indicated it will probably take at least 6 weeks which would put me in early to mid September.

Hi Jezika and fellow newbies!

My name is Kendra and I just got a surgery date of Sept. 30th. This has been a long process for me, I started this last year, because I had problems getting appointments with the Psychologist, which is a requirement for my insurance and becoming a little discouraged because I couldn't get any appointments for a while. I was told by my surgeons nurse that they had gotten lots of complaints about patients calling to get appointments but not getting a response. That whole process really needs to be reworked, but other than that, I am excited, and a little nervous, but I know that I am doing the right thing for my health and to have a better quality of life. Has anyone received negative feedback from family members or friends if you told them about the surgery, and if so, how do you or did you handle it? Anyway, Good Luck to everyone!!

Hey everyone if any one need a buddy to get through this process or to chat and vent with add me I'm in need for buddies and we can help each other out. Good luck everyone.

I have my surgery on October 27, 2014 in Mexico. I am stuggling with with my love for food and the fear of not being able to stay on the diet required before and after. I have so many question and so many fears. I'm going alone, I live alone, and this will all be on me. I can only take a week off work so I'll be in a rough place, since I work eight hours from home, and don't have access to a fridge, stove or a town to even go to a doctor if things go bad. I'm also scared of loosing something I love the most (food), instead of what I hate the most (FAT)!

I'm towards the end of my insurance requirements. I did three months of support group meetings and I have two more nutritional consults left which will take me into September. I've seen my surgeon twice in the past 3 months and will be seeing him for the third time next week. One thing I've learned is to write down any questions you want to ask your surgeon or NUT. I find that in the weeks between visits I come up with questions or things I need clarified but by the time the appointment rolls around I forget what I wanted to ask so now I write down anything that comes up in between.