Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unprepared for this complication

Was sleeved in June. Surgery went well, first 2 weeks post op I was feeling good. But at 3 weeks out of the blue I started nausea and vomiting daily. I was hospitalized for dehydration and had an upper GI study done (leak test). No leak, but discovered that a pouch had formed at the top of my sleeve and all my nutrition went straight to the pouch and then my horrible reflux pushed it straight back up my esophagus. I will be post op week 5 tomorrow. I have spent a total of 12 days in the hospital the past 2 weeks for fluids and I am now on TPN for nutrition. The only way to fix the problem is to do a sleeve to rouxen-y conversion. The moral of this story is if you have reflux prior to WLS, don't get the sleeve. I thought fixing my hiatal hernia would fix my reflux....wrong!

Ugh - sorry to hear this! Thanks for sharing with everyone. Wish you luck and success with the next surgery.

Thanks for letting us know! I'm sure you will help a lot of folks. Hope your new surgery has you feeling a lot better!

Edited by BeagleLover

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry you are having to go through all this. Sending prayers your way.

I am so very sorry for your complications. I remember TPN. It is not fun at all.

Durring my egd my doctor informed me of hiatal hernia an said he could repair for me the same time he did my sleeve. I had never had reflux or heart burn issues before but agreed that if there was a problem go ahead an fix. Boy was I wrong...

I was sleeved 5/28 an had the hiatal repair done as well an for some one that has NEVER had any heartburn issues or acid reflux, I am very disappointed that I no have on a daily! My doctor told me to take Pepcid complete... It does wrk to, but no for long. I luv my sleeve an have had no complications so far, but I hate the reflux issues:(

Is anyone really prepared for any complication....ah no!!!!!!!!!

I hope this is solved soon and you are on your way to victory over your situation and onto a new and better and healthier you! :)

Just an update! Since my last update I have been hospitalized 2 more times and had approx 5 more corrective procedures. I had a stent that ran from my lower esophagus to my stomach for 3 weeks until it caused an occlusion and had to be removed a week early, I have also had 2 dilations to open up the sleeve. I am 2 and a half months post op and still off work sitting at home on tube feedings 20 hours per day. The stent shrunk my pouch that had formed and straightened out my stomach, it just caused a lot of inflammation. So I am just now being able to tolerate Clear Liquids in very small amounts. This has been a challenging journey for me and my whole family, but I am hoping and praying that I am finally on the road to recovery.

So glad to hear that things are slowly improving!

How are you doing now, Tammy?

Ok, now I am getting scared, I have or had severe acid reflux, since I quit smoking it has subsided a bit..i went from taking 4 OTC Prilosec a day to taking 1 Nexium a day, I can actually go 2 days at the most...however on my 4 day with no Nexium..and I'm hurting (I ran out)

I also have a hiatal hernia that will be removed during sleeve op, but I don't want bypass, the thought of foreign object in my body doesn't sit well with me.. my date is 32 days away...

I am so sorry you went and going through what your going through, and so happy you posted this information here, although everyones body is different, I AM getting really scared.

Edited by Eclectick

Here's my latest update. I am 4 months post op. I just got my feeding tube removed last week. I had it for 3 months. I have a stricture in my sleeve. The doctor has been going in and dilating it every 2 weeks. I have had 3 dilations since the stent was removed. Unfortunately it still isn't opened up enough to eat and drink enough to stay hydrated yet. So I go in to the hospital and get IV hydration twice a week. My last dilation was Tuesday and During that dilation I aspirated and have been in the hospital since then because it caused pneumonia in my upper left lobe of my lung. This has been a long and frustrating journey for me and my family, but on the bright side I have lost 67 lbs in the past 4 months and I am only 23 lbs from my goal weight!

I hope that the doctors and surgeon on your team will use your experience to educate themselves and others about possible risks and complications.

You say you had really bad reflux before the sleeve?

I agree with you bobbyswife and I definitely think my surgeon has learned a lot from all of my complications. And yes I had acid reflux prior to surgery, however when we did the preop EGD we discovered a fairly significant hiatal hernia which the dr associated with my acid reflux and so he felt I was still an ideal candidate for the sleeve. My husband however has acid reflux and was told he is not a candidate for the sleeve because of that. Not that he even still wanted the sleeve after all he has seen me go through. He is having the RNY next month.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches