Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any good ideas for taking my iron pill?

Iron is the bane of my existence. Seriously.

We all know Calcium binds with iron, but apparently some types of soy and things in grains do too. Every post op check up has shown my iron as low. Anyone have a solid plan for how to take iron?

I take iron with a Vitamin C, but have yet to find a decent snack I can pair it with so I can take it....3 hours after my last meal... With a Vitamin C... Without calcium... Without soy... So it doesn't make me puke (Ugh.)

Help would surely be appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by MetroDetroitChic

How low is low.

Edited by cheryl2586

This is something I'm interested in too. My Multivitamin makes me feel ill, and I know I'm not waiting as long as I should to take it so the Iron can be absorbed. I can't find anything to eat with no Calcium though!

I don't know exactly how low it is to be honest. I feel fine... But my doc still says it is low. I would like to show up to my next appointment with good numbers!

I take Garden of Life Vitamin Code Healthy Blood. Besides Iron, it also contains Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 and B12, Folate (which is another nutrient bariatric patients can get low on), and a raw veggie/mineral/probiotic/enzyme blend. Since we aren't supposed to take iron with meals or Calcium or other Multivitamins, I keep it beside my bed and take it in the middle of the night when I get up to pee. I've never had it upset my tummy. I used to take it 3-4 times/week, but my 6 month bloodwork actually showed high iron level so I decreased it to 1-2 times/week. I do also eat a lot of red meat, eggs and dark leafy green veggies that are all good sources of iron.

i can not take Iron pills, period. so i have taken to cooking in cast iron. you can really boost your iron intake this way depending on the foods you cook in them. like spaghetti sauce absorbs the iron really well. this got me through both of my pregnancies and was actually a tip from my obgyn.

I take two chewable Flinstones complete that includes Iron in it at night time.

I've so far have had no problems absorbing it.

The Flinstones were recommend by my surgeon.

Good luck in finding something that works.

I do well with Ferramin 150, http://www.dialyvite.net/ferrimin150.html, when I have to take Iron. Have you tried eating a couple of saltine crackers as a snack?

Lynda

I take chewable prenatal Multivitamins ... Easy on the tummy, contain Iron, and taste ok. I am well past menopause, lol. I've also seen liquid iron in drugstores...

Sometimes it helps to take it at night but if it's low I definitely wouldn't rely on your multi to give you what you need. Most people eventually need to supplement Iron after surgery so I would just try to get a pattern going and try your best to get used to it because you will likely need it for the rest of your life. I prefer chewable and use Celebrate's grape and have zero problems. I'd ask around on Bariatric Advantage and Celebrate's website because lots of times they will send you free samples of their bariatric Vitamins (including iron) totally free then you can see if either brand is easier to tolerate. Good luck!!

You all do know if you are NOT Iron deficient you should not be taking it. It can cause cardiac problems if you are not Iron deficient. Just wanted you to know that.

You all do know if you are NOT Iron deficient you should not be taking it. It can cause cardiac problems if you are not Iron deficient. Just wanted you to know that.

I second this but want to add that most people do not realize that they are iron deficient unless they get tested regularly so it's always a good idea to keep up with your annual blood work because your levels can change throughout your life.

I just recently got switched over to Bariatric Advantage Multi EA, a combination multi and all of the other supplements I was taking, except the Calcium. It is a horse pill as round as a dime and as thick as a pencil. I could not swallow it whole, and I could not swallow it cut in forths because it got caught in my throat both ways. What I ended up doing is taking it during the night with blueberry flavored applesauce. That seems to be working.