Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery Monday and I'm fearful

I am afraid of having a stricture and getting food stuck.

My friends are not supportive of the surgery. One even said "you won't get any sympathy from me!" I need some support and reassurance. This is what I want but.......

Strictures are a possibility, but not everybody gets them, I didn't. It is a complication that is easily corrected. Surgery is scary, even for those of us that have a good support system. It is very normal to be nervous. I am so happy that I had my RNY! In the past year I have lost 205 pounds, my life has changed in every way, and all in positive ways. I am actually LIVING my life again. It's wonderful! Don't let others negative attitudes effect you. In a year, I hope you too will be looking at your life saying that this was the best decision you have ever made!

Best of luck!

Carol

Thanks Carol, I needed that.

Congratulations Casey999 on your choice to live a healthier lifestyle! It is so normal to be nervous about the surgery, and almost odd not to be. All in all, I say trust that all will go well and you will soon find yourself on the loser's bench which is an awesome place to be!

I had my RNY on the 8th of this month, and sadly, I also experienced unsupportive reactions from people I considered friends. I leaned that some of their negativity was based in fear (will I still want to be friends with them or would my attitude change and no longer want to be around them), or based on jealousy (some people simply don't like it when you make a choice to improve and actually take the steps to do it). You can't do much about either situation because they are choices THEY are making. Hopefully over time, those who worry about losing you as a friend will come around by asking questions and getting to understand that you, as your core person, will hopefully be the same. Those who are jealous and mean, don't share anything with them. They will seek out opportunities to find fault in what you're doing and capitalize on challenges you may face. Focus on you and your success and everything (and everyone) else will fall right into place.

All the best tomorrow! :-)

Angel

Thank you for the good advice.

I have not had any stricture issues but as baconville said it can be easily corrected if I occurs. And as far as your so called friends go, I would find new ones. Real friends will support you whether they agree with you or not. As you embark on this life changing journey, get some new friends along with new clothes, if they will not support you. There are a lot of people here that support you and your goal for a healthy life. Don't let the others sway you. Good luck and in a couple of months you will be so glad you went for it.

You are right. Thanks

Casey999! You will be great and you got this :) im sorry some of your support system isnt as encouraging. Surround yourself for now with those who are. My mom had a structure, she was admitted to the hospital and then they fixed it. No addituonal complications. She also wasn't follow the docs advice exactly to plan either. She smoked and drank diet coke (two things that are not good for those with rny). Hold your ground and maybe pulling out a list of what you what this when youre feeling nervous or needing reassurance. Peoples words can be hurtful but don't let their words that they formed from their opinions define you and change your mind. This is for you not for them. They can chose to be someone that you look back at this and remember that person really helped me or they can choose not to. Try not to let that define your choices. They arent you :)

Also shoot us an update when you have time to let us know how it goes tomorrow! I will be right behind you on the 30th :)

Being nervous is so normal about having WLS.

I never had a structure but I know that they can easily be fixed if it happens.

Don't ever let someone or even yourself stop you from succeeding in this journey to better health and life.

I am so happy with having gastric bypass last year and what it has done for me.

I am lucky that I have a real great support system and have not come across anyone judging me.

Your friends that are giving you grief are not friends because if they were true friends they would stand by you no matter what.

Stand up for yourself and be selfish in taking care of yourself.

Good luck with your surgery and let us know what happens.

This place is great for support and understanding. :D

I hope your friends either come around or you find people who are supportive.

Being nervous is normal. I assume you have researched your surgeon and talked to others who he or she operated on. Did those people have any issues?

I was so beyond anxious. It's such a life changing event, so many unknowns. And surgery is scary. At least to most people.

I am four months out and I have lost 77 pounds. I don't regret it at all. The first few months are challenging but anything worthwhile is difficult in some way!

I am doing things I never could before, I feel so much younger, I have so much energy, sex is better, I have such a different relationship with food.

You will do great, just come here when you need help!

THANKS everyone. I can do this!

Casey 999 I'll be your support person.

New life4me7

I'll remember that! Thank you

How'd your surgery go Casey999?