Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Expensive NSV for me and my horse

So I was able to make my old saddle work by adding a seat shrinker pad. It was actually quite comfy. But now my butt has shrunk so much that even that is too big. So I splurged on a new (used) saddle this week! I've always ridden western until my last saddle which was an aussie with a horn. SO comfy! I will never ride anything but an aussie again. So in my search for one that fit both me and my horse, the winner was a Muster Master from Australian Stock Saddle Company. It is a crossover saddle, which basically means it fits and looks like an aussie, but takes a regular western cinch and has a western fleece bottom instead of the aussie serge panels. The other thing is this one doesn't have a horn. This will definitely take some getting used to and some creative rigging options, because I mostly use the horn to dally my lead rope, hook my drink holder onto, and drape my head stall and reins on when trailering. First ride is tomorrow....can't wait!

Love this. Can't wait to ride again. And even more so, not need three people to heave me onto the horse. :)

I wish the both of you the best of luck...nothing like being in the saddle!

I have no idea what all that meant but congratulations on having a much smaller @ss!!

Thanks :). Guess I should have put a "crazy horse lady" disclaimer in the post title. But then again, my avatar and user name (kindle is my horse's name) kinda gives it away....

I was so thrilled 2 weeks ago when I got on my horse and fit in my saddle! Not sure what I will do when I shrink out of it!

Ok, the saddle passed the fit test and a bucking test! Had a great ride with a slight fiasco that resulted in a 4 horse pileup while trying to traverse a decrepit bridge across a boggy area. The lead horse fell through a rotten spot, freaked out, spun and head back down the three foot wide bridge, shoving me and another horse off the bridge into the bog. My horse managed to get back up on the bridge and she decided that bucking, jumping and double barrel kicking was the most effective way to get back to terra firma. We slammed into the 4th horse who fortunately, stood her ground. And I stayed in the saddle! Meanwhile, the second horse had sunk to his belly up the boggy slope. We ended up rolling him back down towards the bridge, where he was able to get back to his feet. Everyone came out unscathed.

Other than that, it was an awesome ride to a beautiful waterfall. I'm still fine tuning the rigging, but as for the drink holder, I had a Water bottle sleeve that hooks onto your belt for hiking that worked great attached to the breast collar! I sipped my Syntrax nectar Apple Ecstasy all the way up the trail.

And since I'm such a geek, here's a picture of the saddle and a shot of me and my horse after the bog incident...those are splotches of mud on my shirt.

post-182221-0-27092800-1406488854_thumb.jpg post-182221-0-72607500-1406488878_thumb.jpg

I loved my Aussie saddle but it doesn't fit my pony !! So comfy! I can't wait to get a new saddle that's a smaller size. Glad you had a fun yet interesting ride. Your horse looks just like my horses girlfriend Junie this is her with my son

post-205180-0-64784200-1406504892_thumb.jpg

Oooooooh that saddle is gorgeous! Kindle is just beautiful. And you look wonderful! So awesome that you are able to spend time with your horse and you are both enjoying life together! Live it up to the fullest! I can't wait.

I loved my Aussie saddle but it doesn't fit my pony !! So comfy! I can't wait to get a new saddle that's a smaller size. Glad you had a fun yet interesting ride. Your horse looks just like my horses girlfriend Junie this is her with my son

You're right! They do look similar. Kindle has the stockings, too,

Thanks JCP. You will be riding before you know it. And hopping into the saddle without having to climb on a log or rock is another great NSV!

I can't wait until I can just hop up and swing my leg over like I used to! Sometimes I dream about riding her, about her just stretching out in a dead run and I'm just grinning and it's like we're flying. It's gonna be so great.

Congratulations! One of my goals is to eventually get to ride a horse. It has been over 30 years since I have ridden.

I second the congrats!

I have mini's so no riding for me - but would love to ride a regular sized horse (mmm.....gypsy vanner) once I lose the weight!

:)

Edited by HaddocksEyes