Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

almost 2 weeks post op.. a few questions

Surgery went great. Gas pains were awful but have mostly subsided. I could drink fluids very easily which I was happy about. Made it through the liquid phase. I have lost 19 pounds since July 5 (day I started pre op diet). Happy about that! Trying to work on - is this head hunger or am I actually hungry??? Questions: 1. My port incision is still sore and a bit hard - how long did this last for most of you? It sucks. 2. I am in the soft food stage until Monday but everything is going down really well and I have had no negative side effects. Question is, do I dare to try some more solids or should I wait? 3. When did you guys start adding some salad back in the mix? 4. its not a question, just a request.. I have 3 friends coming into town this weekend that do not know i had surgery, pray for me!! Thank you all for your advise and encouragement on here. This really is so valuable to me on this crazy journey!

You are doing great by the way. First off my port area stayed sore for almost 2 months. Even at almost 5 months banded if I bend the wrong way it hurts. Second thing I would stick to doctors orders. I even thought the same thing, everything is going down good should I try something solid. You are still healing so please do not try anything besides what the doctor has ordered. I think I started adding salad in about week 5-6. Last thing I will pray for you. Good luck and keep up the good work.

I wouldnt eat anything now that you are not supposed to have. You have to remember when you eat your stomach is working to digest it. That is why the food is introduced in stages. You want your band to be settled before you go on to the next phase and your doctor says its okay. My port area was sore for almost 3 months.

I know the urge to start eating more normally is probably driving you crazy but follow the doc's orders. if you are worried about eating in front of friends stick with things like Soups. :) my coworks know i've had the surgery but they still think i'm crazy when i order coffee as my drink when we go out. it just helps a lot to heat up that area when trying to eat out... and i usually get some Soup to go with it.. Considering it's been 114 here in AZ you can only imagine the looks.

Also you did this surgery for you.. i know it's hard to not pay attention to other folks but honestly what they think shouldn't be important the key to this and all WLS is to follow the rules set up by your DR.. do that and you will be just fine.

My port still hurts now and then at 10mts out. i think it's always going to remind me it's there. i kind of like it as it helps me behave

I agree with everyone else about obeying the drs orders, about not only diet, but everything. You've come this far, have taken huge steps to better your health, your LIFE, so keep doing what you've been told to. :)

I'm 6.5 weeks post-op, and I haven't had any issues with anything. All of my incisions were sore, but nothing has been sore at all in about 3 wks. All my scabs are gone, and my scars are slowly blending into my normal skin tone. It sounds like others have some soreness in their port area as well, so maybe it's common? Where are everyone's ports located? Mine is right above my belly button. I've heard others are located off to the side....

As for salads... I've heard lettuce tends to give people some problems after they've been banded, causing the 'stuck' feeling. My husband will not eat it because it caused horrible pain due to it being stuck. As much as I love salad, I will stick to just regular veggies, and skip the lettuce. He's had problems with breads, tortillas, and other thin, stringy things, or chunks of food that he just didn't chew well. Being I just got my first fill today, I'm very nervous to introduce stuff to my now filled band. I was eating bread just fine without any Fluid in the band, but that can change now. I'm not a fan of puking, so I'm maintaining my 'chew to pulvarization' theory LOL!!!

Congrats on your journey, and welcome to the Losers Club!!!

<3

Wonderpoo2u, my port is on the right side of my chest. Close to my armpit. I haven't met anyone else on here that has their port there.

Oh, wow! Mine is literally just above my belly button. My husbands is a few inches above his.

Seems like everyone's is but mine lol.