Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about amount of weight loss

I recently had a consult with my doctor. He told the the amount of weight he could help me lose. Is that number realistic even though its an estimate based on BMI or can you actually lose more? I "read" total amount lost is dependent on many variables.

everybodys body is diffrent some struggle more then others im almost 4 months out and i am down 64lb

I recently had a consult with my doctor. He told the the amount of weight he could help me lose. Is that number realistic even though its an estimate based on BMI or can you actually lose more? I "read" total amount lost is dependent on many variables.

I agree what you put in you get out!! I'm down 147 pounds in 7 months!! I work out sometimes I eat things I shouldn't but I move forward never best myself up!! This isn't a diet it's a lifestyle!! Just stay focused n know you get what you put in!!

My Doctor said the average patient will lose 60 - 70% of their excess weight. At seven mos. I've almost lost 70% and am still losing. I do think hard work and dedication plays a big part, but people's bodies are all different.

My Doctor said the average patient will lose 60 - 70% of their excess weight. At seven mos. I've almost lost 70% and am still losing. I do think hard work and dedication plays a big part, but people's bodies are all different.

Yes for the the same I have lost 70 percent of my access weight and 58 pounds from goal to getting to my goal weight the doctor gave me

Yes for the the same I have lost 70 percent of my access weight and 58 pounds from goal to getting to my goal weight the doctor gave me

I am 7 months post and have lost 33% of my body. I am down 117lbs and started at 356. I have 59lbs left to reach my goal. Each person is different and body type and mass is different. I am only looking to lose 50% of me and i will be happy. It realoy does work and like others have said, it takes a lot of work and deication to do this. Its not by far the easiest process but so worth the process. Good luck to you.

You could lose more or less than predicted by your surgeon. There are many factors other than initial BMI, including but not limited to: age (younger=greater loss), sex (male=greater loss), eating habits (junk food & grazing=lower loss, high odds of regaining), regular exercise (more=greater loss, less regain), and lipo/plastics after loss (yes=less regain).

Of course, the above is a just general guide and there will always be exceptions to these rules. We've all read about that person who gets away with grazing on junk food and that person who 'does everything right' but doesn't lose much. Total weight loss and maintenance depend largely, not exclusively, on habits and choices after surgery. Accurately calculating exactly how much weight you will lose is impossible.

It's a statistic based on averages. The average person loses 60-70% of their EXCESS body weight. So if your healthy weight is 100 and you weigh 200 on average you will lose 60-70 lbs.

That means there are people who lose more and people who lose less. As others have said, it's all about how you use the tool surgery gives you.

I am a couple weeks away from being 8 month out and have lost 91% of my excess body weight (111lbs). Still losing relatively easily so I have no reason to think I won't make 100%. Only 15lbs to go!

Wow awesome stats Jess9395!

My surgeon is scary, he wanted to take down 100% of my excess weight (110 lbs) in 6 months!!!

I guess I'm doing ok for the first month (I've lost 18.48 lbs - 3 weeks out) but now it's getting slower and slower, not sure if I can lose 10 lbs next month.

:-(

Now that u can workout your loss should be better. Get to the gym or make a good routine of cardio and strength for home if thats what u prefer. The weight will come off as long as you follow the rules and change your eating habits and have a good support system. This is definitely not something to go at all alone. I have lost 127lbs at just 8 months out and only have 49lbs to hit my personal goal and 100% of my starting weight. I know i will do it. You can do this. Just eat right and get in your activity. Do what is best for you to get the best results. We are all here for you to back you up and answer questions if we can. Good luck to you and hope to hear updates soon.