Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Ideas?!?!?!

I need help! I need more Protein in my diet but I HATE Protein shakes and bars! I've tasted different kinds and I have not liked any! I feel like I do fine at lunch and dinner but I need Breakfast ideas where I can at least get 15 grams of protein. Any ideas?

Thanks

I eat 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast. It's 12 grams of Protein. Also, you can beat eggs and pour in a muffin tin, add bacon, ham, or turkey sausage, Any veggies you like and a bit of cheese. Cook until light brown on top. Very high protein and easy to heat up in the morning. About one egg per muffin and I use the Reynolds foil muffin wraps because it helps with sticking.

Edited by Leepers

I need help! I need more Protein in my diet but I HATE Protein shakes and bars! I've tasted different kinds and I have not liked any! I feel like I do fine at lunch and dinner but I need Breakfast ideas where I can at least get 15 grams of protein. Any ideas?

Thanks

Buy Tofu cheese, it's tasteless really, and packs a real big punch on protein. I have an excellent choice for you....Buy Fage Greek yoghurt total 0 (pronounced Fa-yeioo) and with one cup it has 23 grams of protein. It tastes "very greeky" bland but add vanilla or caramel cofee syrups, sugar free and its very graceful masquerading the bland taste, it will increase your protein thru the roof!!

Hope it helps

i have Egg beaters with low fat cheese almost every morning - sometimes in a tortilla with some salsa :)

Thanks everyone!

Have you tried making smoothies with Protein powder? I dont like it by its self but some skim milk, 1 scoop of body fortress vanilla and some frozen fruit. I put it in my magic bullet. I also eat Quaker oatmeal with cranberry and almonds that has a nice chunk of Protein in it. Greek yogurt, Canteloupe with cottage cheese. Soft scrambled eggs. Tofu sauteed with some peppers and onions. You can buy sugar free syrups also and make protein smoothies. The possibilities are endless

I put a scoop of Body Fortress Vanilla in my coffee as a Creamer. It's an easy way for a coffee drinker to get their Protein fix!

Mesa Sunrise multi-grain (corn, flax,quinoa, & amaranth) Cereal. It's organic & Found in the natural food section or Cereal isle. Being all whole grains, it already has Protein by itself. Add a generous amount of milk- more protein-, walnuts (even more Protein plug Omega 3's) and 1/2 banana (potassium). I eat it with no sweetener. I like the taste of the grains, walnuts, banana in milk together. Sweet enough for me as is.

Not breakfast, but I add Beans to a lot of things too. I make whole grain brown rice with garlic, onion, black Beans & shrooms, S&P. MMMMMmmmmmm it;s a real taste bud treat. I also do a 'white batch' w/ brown rice, white beans like navy w/ carrots, celery onion & garlic. The southwest one has brown rice, black beans, corn, salsa, cilantro & garlic. That one's yummy topped w/ a dollop of sour cream & chopped scallions. I package them single-servings and family-sized portions, in zip bags then freeze. Gr8 for quick grab-n-go lunch (defrosts by lunchtime for microwave). They're healthy meals, w/out takeout/ delivery fat, calories, & price. For dinners, I make a side of meat & veg.

Sometimes I add chickpeas to my salads to boost protein. Hummus & chips are good. Lots of different flavors. For chips, I try to get some kind of whole grain kind. I like trying new things. I just tried some wild rice chips that were awesome! I also like a variety of those bean-based chips. Super yum w/ hummus.

The best Protein bar I have found is PowerCrunch "Original". (link below) It is a wafer Protein Bar and unlike any other Protein Bar on the market. For years, I was on the search for a Protein bar that was not dense or tasted like chalk. Honestly, I thought I would never find it, thought it didn't exist, until I discovered this bar.

The Original has between 13-14 grams of protein. Though that may not be a lot in the protein bar world, I have learned that the higher gram count ='s yuck. This bar meets the sweet spot with high protein and good taste. I have to hide these from family members. They are often my Meal Replacement but to family the bars seem to be a snack. The price is typical of any protein bar, maybe a little less. Here in Florida they run about $2 a bar and between $20-$25 for a box. I buy them by the box as they are my go to item. When I factor in how much less I spend in food now compared to before surgery, it's not difficult to purchase by the box. They can be found at The Vitamin Shoppe by the bar or the box. Recently I discovered them in my local Winn Dixie. (Buying by the box here is important, showing a demand in this store will increase the chances the store keeps them in stock).

Last time I checked, the website below offered samples, which stated took between 4-6 weeks.

I think every bariatric patient, 6-9 months postop and beyond, should try these. They changed everything for me. I have always gravitated toward convenient food. After surgery, those aren't options anymore. Not so much that I can't have them, I just don't want them anymore. My body simply doesn't want fast food anymore. These bars fill that void. They are my new fast food.

Hope this was helpful!

http://powercrunch.com/products/energy-bars/original/

Add Beans to your diet. They are higher in Protein. I eat cream of wheat for breakfast

Another option is Kroger brand carb master milk, 1&1/2 cup is 120 calories and 16.5 grams of Protein. They have chocolate or regular milk. I use this on days when my protein is too low because I couldn't tolerate Protein Shakes any longer.

I like the fairlife milk that was previously suggested. Lately I've been buying Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt in vanilla and adding PB2. The yogurt has 80 calories and 12 grams of Protein. The PB2 has 45 calories and 5 grams of Protein. So that gives me a total of 125 calories and 17 grams of protein. I use it either as breakfast or a snack. I really can't eat much in the mornings because my band is too tight so it's either yogurt like this or a Protein shake. You can also buy Nature Valley Protein granola in various different flavors and add that to your yogurt.