Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it again if you knew....?

Hi all ,

I'm a sleeve candidate and I'm struggling with the decision to go ahead. I REALLY want to have the op as I've struggled with weight my whole life but I'm extremely scared that my 'life' will end. (I do love food)

It's a bad place to be I know, but can anyone help with this fear? Does your attitude towards food change over time??? Or will I grieve the loss of a painful but comforting 'friend'?

I appreciate any help or guidance you can give :)

Marie

I just had this talk with my daughter tonight. I recently had Sleeve surgery and she is considering the same surgery in the near future. We were in the restaurant tonight on vacation. We ordered the most delicious tuna steak I have ever seen. She thoroughly enjoyed it while I could only take a few bites and was too uncomfortable to continue. I told her that the joy of eating great food, for me, may be gone forever. She asked me if I would recommend her to still have the surgery. I honestly was torn. Not sure how to answer. I know the weight loss may likely be the best trade off in the end, but like you, I have always enjoyed great food! I think as time goes on and I actually see and feel the weight loss the trade off may be totally worth it. But for now I am honestly not there yet with that thought. Been 5 weeks since surgery and I've been in a stall for over a week. I ask myself daily if it will all be worth it. Food is now simply a means of survival and body nourishment and no longer a source of enjoyment. I need to find other enjoyment and move away from the focus if food. It will take some time to get there.

Only you know the answer to your question as it pertains to you. For myself, although I also love the taste of good food, I don't miss being tempted to overeat because the food tastes good. I'm still only two months out and no sweets or starches are currently allowed, but I'm looking forward to the future when I hope to enjoy healthy food choices 99% of the time and have a taste of cake on my birthday without the urge to have seconds. There are many on this site who advocate 100% compliance with the program 100% of the time. They say that most people who keep the weight off for the long term adhere to that policy. I don't think that would work for me. I enjoy family celebrations that include fabulous foods. I don't want to be so strict that I don't ever allow myself any indulgences. I just want to be mindful and accountable, not a food nazi. I believe the sleeve will help me achieve that goal.

Edited by IcanMakeit

As much as I loved good food in the past, I have almost no regrets. Between the way I look at myself, loose skin and all to the way my wife looks at me and even the flirts I receive that were never there before.

The thrill of being slim far outweighs the thrill and comfort food use to give.

I will admit now and then I have a tiny bit of "food envy" but its nothing I dont get over very quickly.

7 months out and food is just something I need to survive. My diet is pretty limited. I eat almost the same things every day and I dont have a problem with it.

I am 4 months along and 2 months ago I would have replied that I would not have done this but now I am just fine and very happy I did it. I cannot imagine eating as much in one sitting as I used to. If I really really really want a cheeseburger, I will (can only eat 1/2 without the bun) or if I want pickles I will have some. I watch what I eat but also will treat myself in moderation. Your life will not be over, it will be starting over and you will love watching the pounds melt away. Imagine fitting into clothes you have not been able to for a long time. Only you can make the decision but for me, I am glad I did even though it took me a while. Good luck.....

I think you have to be open to the journey. It's not easy to give up that "best friend" who has not really been the friend we thought. At nearly seven months out, I do enjoy food - it just doesn't control me anymore. I no longer think about it all the time.

There are (infrequent) times when I miss not being able to eat a big meal of something I enjoy (for me, that would be a big plate of Mexican food), but I appreciate the taste, still, and am glad that my sleeve and I are working together to keep me from eating more. I like having control over my choices and I really like how I look. I like being able to do things with my grown children without being left behind. I especially like that I have reduced risk of stroke and dementia, which run in my family.

I would do it again, hands down. My life is exponentially better at this weight than it was at over 300 pounds. I loved food, and I love to eat, and everything I did centered around it. I always knew that, but it really became evident after my surgery.

I have a much different perspective on this now that I'm 19 months out, and it has evolved over time. In the early days post op, eating was a CHORE. I couldn't believe that! I actually loved it. As time went by, eating became enjoyable again. Now I enjoy food again - too much. I can eat PLENTY. Certainly not like I used to, but I can eat like a normal person. My perception of normal has changed, and now I think it's actually correct, as opposed to the inflated idea of normal before surgery.

I actually wish I felt a little more like I did in the early days. I wish a few bites could fill me up. I wish eating was more of a chore some days. Now its ALL me. I have to count calories and really work at this, or I'll eat my way right back up to 300 pounds. So, unless a person comes to the realization only they can make the needed changes for themselves, the surgery will be a partial, temporary fix, at best.

I do think the surgery was the best thing for me, and I would do it again, but I caution people to really think about whether or not they WANT to make those changes. You probably will grieve the change in your life, but only you know if that's something you can handle. If you think you can't or are not willing to make that change, it might not be worth it. If you are willing to accept the "loss" and work through your issues, then it's a great choice. I could not have done this without the sleeve.

Hi all ,

I'm a sleeve candidate and I'm struggling with the decision to go ahead. I REALLY want to have the op as I've struggled with weight my whole life but I'm extremely scared that my 'life' will end. (I do love food)

It's a bad place to be I know, but can anyone help with this fear? Does your attitude towards food change over time??? Or will I grieve the loss of a painful but comforting 'friend'?

I appreciate any help or guidance you can give :)

Marie

Do it!! Do it, and not look back, food is intended to sustain us, but you will find much more pleasure in so many other new things, a new body, and different outlook! Go go go! Forget the food thoughts!! When you are slimmer and agile and start having a different outlook on fashion and outside fun , believe me food is the last thing you will b worried about. Do it for yourself, your marriage, self image, HEALTHY, and sooo many other great outcomes with weightloss. Been there...done that. Had a Lap band after being g the size of a fridge, then lost 170 pounds, had Tummy Tuck, breast implants...and lots of exercise...I was so much better!! After a decade the band failed n slippage occurred. Had it removed and in one year... "started eating my life away again and packed on 70 pounds, I was terribly overweight again, so I did the sleeve in Tijuana Mexico with a great team and very cost effective result. I'm angry at myself for going back to the food addiction and pleasures it gave me, it did nothing but ruin my body again. Did the sleeve and already planning next year's body reconstruction. Bought a new cruiser bike in Wal-Mart and ready to ride 3 miles daily and get my self back in the saddle and in control of my life, don't give it another middle thought.....go for the surgery and give it all you got! I'm here to support u in any way I can. Mother of two, RN. Orlando FL.

Laura

I truly needed to hear these responses! I am 4 weeks post op and was feeling all of these emotions, regrets, and actually I don't even like to eat in front of other people now (as weird as that sounds). I am embarrassed because of how little I can eat (2-4 oz.) and I feel like others are focusing on me? So I just eat at home. It is a chore at this point. But reading these posts have helped me understand these feelings and I am looking forward to the future a little bit easier. Thank you for posting!

My ONLY regret is not having it done sooner! I am the happiest I have EVERRRR been in the last 30 years of my life!!! I feel TERRRRRIFIC, starting to look great (almost 3 months out -- 45 lbs down!), almost out of the 200's and buying clothes "normal" sizes, not the XXX's sizes!! The BEST part is how i feel -- so energetic, so willing to go go go and just feel awsome and healthy! The love ( or should I call it -- obsession) I had for food is gone, it's not longer my priority, I am super happy with little morsels of my favorite foods from time to time, looking at the scale go down each week is a tremendous high!

Timing is everything, I had thought about getting this done for over 10 years and finally something in me clicked last year, started this process and had surgery May 5th -- a day I will forever Celebrate from now on!!! Go For it! It's life-changing! :) Good luck!

I have no regrets and would do it again in a heart beat!! I am seven months post surgery, down 130 pounds and have reached my initial goal but I am continuing to adhere to the program as there is more to loose. My medical issues are gone and I feel and look better than I have in decades.

That being said, the concerns expressed in this thread were my concerns as well in the beginning. I really enjoyed food and the social engagement around food and alcohol. Specifically my biggest issues were volume of food eaten and proper choices. As a result of the sleeve operation I am better equipped, physically and mentally, to deal with food issues now than at other times in my life.

The initial post op journey is my commitment to a better me. I want to do it so I can continue to enjoy the things that are important to me and my loved ones. I regularly go to dinner with my wife, attend business dinners and functions and participate in all family outings. The sleeve has changed my life for the better!

At seven months post op I can eat anything I want but choose to be on the program. I can still eat a great tuna steak, or cheeseburger, just not all of it. I can still socialize, but need to manage the temptations. For me, it's about choice. The sleeve has helped me physically, limiting the amount food I can eat. The strong will to be successful and stay with the program has helped me manage choices. I think sometime we rely on the physical changes, i.e. sleeve or band, etc, and less on the mental readiness for what is to come. It could very well be the toughest part of the entire change in our bodies.

I just had this talk with my daughter tonight. I recently had Sleeve surgery and she is considering the same surgery in the near future. We were in the restaurant tonight on vacation. We ordered the most delicious tuna steak I have ever seen. She thoroughly enjoyed it while I could only take a few bites and was too uncomfortable to continue. I told her that the joy of eating great food, for me, may be gone forever. She asked me if I would recommend her to still have the surgery. I honestly was torn. Not sure how to answer. I know the weight loss may likely be the best trade off in the end, but like you, I have always enjoyed great food! I think as time goes on and I actually see and feel the weight loss the trade off may be totally worth it. But for now I am honestly not there yet with that thought. Been 5 weeks since surgery and I've been in a stall for over a week. I ask myself daily if it will all be worth it. Food is now simply a means of survival and body nourishment and no longer a source of enjoyment. I need to find other enjoyment and move away from the focus if food. It will take some time to get there.

Thank you so much for sharing this. Eating,for me, is and always has been, emotional. I 'feel' your anguish just looking into the future with the sleeve and that's what scares me most. The fact that it irreversible and the reality of loosing this emotional crutch may take me to a worse place but I'm definitely heartened by the words of other sleeves who are a bit further down the track, as I hope you are too.

Thanks again :)

Only you know the answer to your question as it pertains to you. For myself, although I also love the taste of good food, I don't miss being tempted to overeat because the food tastes good. I'm still only two months out and no sweets or starches are currently allowed, but I'm looking forward to the future when I hope to enjoy healthy food choices 99% of the time and have a taste of cake on my birthday without the urge to have seconds. There are many on this site who advocate 100% compliance with the program 100% of the time. They say that most people who keep the weight off for the long term adhere to that policy. I don't think that would work for me. I enjoy family celebrations that include fabulous foods. I don't want to be so strict that I don't ever allow myself any indulgences. I just want to be mindful and accountable, not a food nazi. I believe the sleeve will help me achieve that goal.

Thank you. I agree with you. Limiting yourself completely, to specific foods 100%, sounds like a miserable existence. As we all know, it's about moderation, and unfortunately that's what I struggle with so hopefully ....

As much as I loved good food in the past, I have almost no regrets. Between the way I look at myself, loose skin and all to the way my wife looks at me and even the flirts I receive that were never there before. The thrill of being slim far outweighs the thrill and comfort food use to give. I will admit now and then I have a tiny bit of "food envy" but its nothing I dont get over very quickly. 7 months out and food is just something I need to survive. My diet is pretty limited. I eat almost the same things every day and I dont have a problem with it.

Thank you for sharing your view on this. Sounds like your winning. It's great to hear as it propels me to my decision- all of your comments combined are giving me a 'hunger' for that feeling of being thin - a place I've enjoyed several times in my life and have loved but quickly swept under the carpet to be able to cope with the reality of my size. Thank you Bob.

I am 4 months along and 2 months ago I would have replied that I would not have done this but now I am just fine and very happy I did it. I cannot imagine eating as much in one sitting as I used to. If I really really really want a cheeseburger, I will (can only eat 1/2 without the bun) or if I want pickles I will have some. I watch what I eat but also will treat myself in moderation. Your life will not be over, it will be starting over and you will love watching the pounds melt away. Imagine fitting into clothes you have not been able to for a long time. Only you can make the decision but for me, I am glad I did even though it took me a while. Good luck.....

Thank you Griffan. How exciting for you - I wish I was where you are now as I know I have a long slug in front of me. The clothes bit REALLY excites me as I LOVE clothes. :) thanks