Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Putting Off Gastric Bypass

Hello my friends!:) I'm Trudy Carle and have been on my WLS journey for about 5 months now. Last month I was cleared by dietician & just waiting for surgeon appointment & insurance. It's with a heavy heart that I have decided to put off my Gastric Bypass. I have been falling lately--my knees buckling, I had 2 former minor surgeries on left knee-knew it it was feeling worse-just thought I would take care of it AFTER BYPASS! Sooooo close! The final straw was falling in shower putting knee through the tub! Went to drs and X-ray & MRI showed extensive damage to left knee....so my goal is to fix the left, then rehab, 6 weeks later do the right, rehab, etc. I'll work hard, but will probably have to redo things like nutrition but all is well! I'll still be here, keeping you informed lol! Thanks!:)

Holy smokes! You HAVE been through the wringer! I hope you wind up with knees of spring steel and tiger meat! Seriously, if there is so much damage, would they do knee replacement?

I wouldn't assume you're going to lose the nutrition points you've gone through already, especially IF you've gone through all of them. I would call the surgeon's office/bariatric coordinator to find out, if approved, how much time that approval is good for to actually go through the surgery.

Your absolutely correct.....I'm just afraid that if I don't do knees first--it'll make the WLS harder and slower to get around...

I am sort of in the same boat with my hip. I had surgery two years ago and reinjured it about 3 months ago..my guess is due to weight gain. I was hoping to put off even seeing the orthro until after RNY but the pain and mobility issues are dramatically escalating. However I really hope ican have WLS first and will wait if able. For each pound lost there is signicant diminished stress on our joints. Don't put off wls too long. GOod luck.

What a difficult decision! Too bad that happened, sorry to hear it. Recovery from knee surgery would be SO much easier if you were thinner! Hope you are feeling better soon.

I have to tell you this...but the choice is always yours. My husband needed a full hip replacement. He was having similar issues the pain was unbearable and he was starting to have tripping issues.

All that said, he had WLS first. He lost about 60 pounds and then just this May had his hip replacement surgery which went so smoothly he is not 2 months post op and going back to work as a Fire Fighter. He has joined the gym with me and see's a personal trainer he's walking every day and biking and feeling awesome!

Talk to your doctors, and see what they advise. Rehab and recover as well as overall surgery is much easier for you if you can lose weight prior. If the docs advise you to go forward with the replacements and surgery for the joints go for it, but definitely talk to them before hand.

Best of luck to you all.

i am surprised that if you need bypass that the doc will let you get knee surgery first. usually they want you to lose weight first, then get the knee surgery.

your recovery from knee surgery will be really tough without losing weight.

best of luck to you.

Good luck to you. Gastric bypass patients lose weight so quickly that the suggestions made above about asking for WLS first sound very reasonable. I'm a bander but I know my knee issues got amazingly better after I dropped 50 pounds. I walked all over Italy without pain meds or NSAIDs. At 80 pounds down I'm a walking maniac. Best wishes whatever you decide.

Edited by JustWatchMe