Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My experience with marijuana and the munchies...

So, I'm the last likely person to use anything not prescribed to me.. When in WA last week, my stepson took us to a medical marijuana store that his friend owns. After much discussion, it was determined that weed would help my chronic back pain. So he gave me 2 chocloate bars. I'm extremely lightweight when it comes to stuff like this so I ate 1 small square last nite. After an hour, I felt nothing. So I ate another 1/2. Bam, hit me. All of a sudden I was brought back to age 20 and realized why I don't like pot. I ate 1 1/2 pkgs of Lean Cuisine pizzas and 2 Trader Joes taquitos till I thought I might bust.

So, hint: make sure if u get the munchies u have cut up veggies on hand. NOT pizza and taquitos. There's ur words of wisdom for the day.

Now that everyone thinks I'm a drug addict, I guess Ill call it a day...

So, I'm the last likely person to use anything not prescribed to me.. When in WA last week, my stepson took us to a medical marijuana store that his friend owns. After much discussion, it was determined that weed would help my chronic back pain. So he gave me 2 chocloate bars. I'm extremely lightweight when it comes to stuff like this so I ate 1 small square last nite. After an hour, I felt nothing. So I ate another 1/2. Bam, hit me. All of a sudden I was brought back to age 20 and realized why I don't like pot. I ate 1 1/2 pkgs of Lean Cuisine pizzas and 2 Trader Joes taquitos till I thought I might bust.

So, hint: make sure if u get the munchies u have cut up veggies on hand. NOT pizza and taquitos. There's ur words of wisdom for the day.

Now that everyone thinks I'm a drug addict, I guess Ill call it a day...

YOU JUST MADE ME LOL AT WORK! Love it! And no, I don't think you are a druggie! ha!

I know for sure I don't want to try it - I have enough trouble with the munchies without weed! LOL

This totally made me giggle! I live in WA. My husband and I have had discussions about how the changes in the law will encourage non-users to pick up the habit. With the introduction of edibles, I think the stigma is significantly less and we'll see more soccer moms and folks who wouldn't ordinarly use try them out. I've never smoked anything in my life and wouldn't know where to begin, but if I had an inclination edibles would be the way to go! I work in downtown Seattle. I can't tell you how alarming it is to be down at Pike Place at lunch and see people partake discreetly outside in the parks and such.

I never picked up the MJ habit, sole reason being that I really didn't need something that made me want to eat!

This totally made me giggle! I live in WA. My husband and I have had discussions about how the changes in the law will encourage non-users to pick up the habit. With the introduction of edibles, I think the stigma is significantly less and we'll see more soccer moms and folks who wouldn't ordinarly use try them out. I've never smoked anything in my life and wouldn't know where to begin, but if I had an inclination edibles would be the way to go! I work in downtown Seattle. I can't tell you how alarming it is to be down at Pike Place at lunch and see people partake discreetly outside in the parks and such.

I never picked up the MJ habit, sole reason being that I really didn't need something that made me want to eat!

Yeah, on the grassy area outside Pikes Place last week, the smell was all over. Nobody even has to hide it anymore. I heard that out of 2600 applications for growers, only 100 were accepted for stores opening soon. The government is really strict with it I guess.

My stepson grows for medical use. His friends med store was closer (were in Tacoma) than the only store open now in WA (Seattle) so thats why we got them there.

People encourage me to get a card (14 yrs of chronic back pain after an injury in the Army and 4 back surgeries) but I get my medical treatment thru the VA and since I receive narcotics thru them, they occasionally drug test me.... Sooooo....

Hafta be good :)

Thanks for the report and science experiment.

You took one for the team. :)

I've been on Viacodin for the last couple of weeks and I notice that I'm not hungry (because I have shingles and ugh it's awful) but then I get loopy from the pain meds and then I start eating. It's really weird. Makes me think that narcotic pain meds will not be a good idea for me post - op.

Thanks for the info! Since I'm not drinking beer anymore a friend suggested I smoke pot to make up for my lost alcohol buzz. Well, I've smoked in the past and KNOW it just makes me want to eat and then go to sleep. I didn't think the munchies and sleeve would go together very well so I did not take her advice. Thanks for the affirmation that I made the right decision! LOL.

I'm two months post-op, and this is exactly why I haven't smoked. It's not even that I'm worried I'll eat a bunch of bad stuff (in fact, in that past I always made sure to only have good, healthy stuff on hand anyway), it's more than I'm worried about volume. I used to be able to just eat and eat and eat when stoned (whether it was veggies and hummus, salad, quinoa, whatever), and I don't want to hurt or stretch my sleeve. I hope maybe in a year or so I can give it a try though.

Marijuana always made me very introspective and I've learned a lot of valuable things about myself while high. Honestly, I don't know if I could have come to terms with my reasons for being overweight or even had the breakthroughs I needed to decide on surgery without it. Everyone's brain reacts differently, but for me, pot has always helped me see the truth about myself. It can be a powerful too and I hope someday I can use it responsibly again without fear of the munchies part...

I'm completely NOT denigrating anyone who finds marijuana helpful in any way.

But for me, it wasn't beneficial. Back in the day, I smoked grass for 3 years in grad school -- mostly on weekends and never during the day. Unfortunately, its effects slowed my life down to the point where I wasn't getting much done. I quit smoking dope to ensure I'd actually build a life and haven't indulged for longer over 40 years.

As I approach retirement and legalization is expanding, I've been curious about what it might be like to indulge again. For that reason, I'm glad to hear about others' experiences with marijuana here post-surgery.

Yeah, for all it's benefits, I only smoked maybe every month or two. I doubt I could have maintained my general level of productivity had I been smoking every week, since I often need a recovery day as I tend to be kind sleepy and lethargic the day after.

i smoke just about every evening, just a little toke or two on my pipe, my equivalent of an after work martini. i don't get the munchies, and i love not having the calories from alcohol. i'm so curious about how i will feel after surgery when i smoke. and for the record, i'm an incredibly productive member of society. :)

I am also from Washington but have not visited a pot shop. Although an aquantance owns the distibution rights to a pot brownie mix. This guy is about 60 a life long stoner. He was telling us about doing a test batch of brownies. He and his current girl friend split one serving. They got so stoned they had to crawl to the bathroom when nature called later that evening. If 1/2 a serving does that to him, I would be scared to try one. Might be fun to take a pan to work:)

Since starting my weight loss journey I have avocated booze until meeting my goal weight. This being the case the idea of a visit to the pot shop has crossed my mind, but damn I dont want to crawl to the bathroom. I have always been a light weight when it comes to that stuff. Another friend tried as he described as pot infused orange crush. He ended up watching Sponge Bob all day.

You made me giggle. I have thought about trying it because of my back injury...since I had the sleeve done I have been scared to take any meds . I can hardly eat without getting sick already. I was told it would help with the nausea but scared of the munchies.

Oh yeah. A joint is just what I need. NOT!!