Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you just did Post Op diet without surgery would you still have lost the weight?

So the classic question I'm getting is: "Why do surgery? Just follow the Post Op diet and exercise."

Anybody think that could have worked? Why or why not? Thanks for the input!

I can say with certainty that the post-op diet would not have worked without the surgery. I have only been successful because I cannot physically eat anymore than a certain amount. There have been times where I've had a bad day and I really just wanted to sit down with some junk in front of the tv and pig out. With the sleeve, that isn't possible and I tend to get super sick when I eat more than I should or anything extra fatty or sugarey. In the past I could easily eat all of these things so there was no control in place. If you are going to technically follow the diet to the letter, never eat more than you're supposed to, or anything that is off the diet...then yes, the surgery really doesn't matter. I think most of our problem is though that we can't eat that small amount of food without having the surgical tool in place and the surgery ended up being a kind of last resort.

Yah, I've gotten this question. Perfect answer. And that's exectly why I need this. I need the lifelong tool.

I kinda think anyone who frames a question with the purpose to force me to justify my surgery isn't really looking for an answer.

When people try to put me on the defensive about the surgery I either say, "I'm not going to justify my surgery to you" or "this surgery isn't for you."

Of course, if people ask genuine questions that they're interested in the answers to, I'm always happy to share.

I tried it last year, the first time I met with the surgeon and his team. I was put on the pre-op diet, and never went back because I asked myself that same question.

Here I am. I just posted how I fell off the pre-op diet, and know that I won't be able to sustain a weight loss effort without the surgery from my past experience. I know how hard I've tried, and how many times. You know that about you. I am telling people (if I choose to tell them, which I'm not sure about yet) "my doctors all agree that the surgery is medically required"

This is why I've told no one about my surgery. Do not want to spend the rest of my life discussing my decision with random people who just want to satisfy their curiosity factor. I just want to put all my energy in doing this and being successful.

15 years ago i did the Optifast diet for 4 months. 3 shakes per day, nothing, NOTHING solid! I lost 45 lbs and looked great. I then gained it all back within 2 years!!! I spent $2500.00 on the diet, didnt learn a thing and I'm heavier now then ever.

I know i will always have to be careful what i eat but im praying if i treat my sleeve well, not over stuff it i will be able to keep the weight off.

Studies say 95% of people who lose on a diet will regain,ost if mot all the weight.

Thats why im having surgery. Its drastic but I've struggled for too many years yoyoing!!!

Ask them to try it themselves for a month and find out if can do it, if they think it's so damn easy! Oh sure you would lose weight but no one, even us veteran sleevers, can sustain such deprivation indefinitely.

Thank you all for your insight and answers. I feel much better armed.

The pre op diet is focused shakes, liquids and extreme cut of calories to SHRINK YOUR LIVER. not to lose weight. I started out with 100 lbs to lose.

During pre op i lose about 14. At that rate, it would have taken me over a year of drinking only shakes, liquids, SF Jello and broth to lose the weight.

The malnutrition that i would have suffered aside, no i wouldn't have been able to do it. My pre op wasn't to see if i could stick to the discipline of losing. it was to move my liver a bit so the doctor didn't lacerate it.

Lastly, doing something extreme like that would pretty much assure that the moment i ate any sort of food, i would likely gain the 100 lbs back literally overnight. Surgery was the BEST thing i ever did for myself. Good luck in your decision.

I am at the point that people who have seen me walking around town for years are stopping me on the street to ask me for my dieting "secrets".

I am very open that I had surgery, and the diet I follow would not be right for someone who has not.

If they press, I pull out my pill case full of Vitamins and other supplements and tell them that despite taking all these daily, and working with a doctor and a nutritionist, I still have deficiencies. I tell them I get six vials of blood drawn every three months, so my recommended Vitamins can be adjusted. I tell them about my hair loss.

Even if my nutrition improves, and I lose all the weight I want, my body has been permanently altered. I am going to be medically supervised for life. They shouldn't follow my diet any more than they should go on the low-Fluid low-potassium diet of a dialysis patient or any other medically specialized diet.

I don't know if they could grit their teeth, bear the hunger and deprivation a normal sized stomach would surely feel, and accomplish lasting weight loss. That sounds like anorexia to me. (I am no expert on eating disorders. I am speaking only from instinct.)

What I do know is that they risk making themselves very ill.