Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Success~ From 300+ to One-derland!

Hello Bariatric Pals!

I am asking for anyone who has come from a really high starting weight all the way down to one-derland with gastric banding to share their story. I am still very early in my pre-op journey and am wrestling with my mental monsters. I know it can be done. I see it everywhere online! I just would like a more one on one conversation and the opportunity to ask questions about your individual journeys.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond, so allow me to thank you in advance.

Future Success,

Candace

Edited by Guest

There are a few people here who fall in this category. I started my journey at a high weight of 327. I now weigh less that 192 (not sure the exact weight bc I don't weigh but once every 4-6 weeks at my doctor's office.)

My journey started with me trying yet another DIET on January 2, 2012. I gave up most refined carbohydrates for that year, and by May of 2013, I weighed 288. I joined a gym and painstakingly made myself go 5-6 days a week, even though I could barely move, or breathe, for the first two months. I had lapband surgery on Aug 22, 2013, with my weight at 271. I now weigh somewhere at or less than 192. I still go to the gym 6 days a week, and I LOOK FORWARD TO IT EACH AND EVERY DAY. I will post "Before" and "Now" pictures here........

IMG 3751The picture that made me make the final decision to have WLS ....... Dec., 2012

IMG 5627  April, 2014

Hi Candace,

I weighed 354lbs on September 4, 2013 when I went for my pre-op appointment. I had surgery on September 11, 2013. I weighed last week and was at 197lbs. I am not, apparently, the normal lap band patient. My surgeon and my nutritionist remind me of this at every appointment. However, I have done exactly what my doctor asked me to do. If he said no coffee, I had no coffee. If he said eat fruit, I ate fruit. If he said jump, I asked how high. I no longer have high blood pressure. I no longer need strong meds for my arthritis pain. I exercise 3-4 times a week at a boxing gym. I ride my bike. I walk when my knees and feet will allow. So, I don't think of myself as special. I am just me. If I can do this....anyone can. Good luck to you!

I started at 360 pounds. As of thus morning I am down to 202. Not onederland yet but very close. It feels great.

At my initial consultation I weighted in at 289lbs. After the 2 week pre-op diet I was down to 278lbs. Today I'm almost 15 months post-op and have lost a total of 154lbs putting my weight at 135lbs. Just like SillyAuntDi I follow my doctors instructions to the T. I ate the recommended portions and made nutritious choices. I made the choice going into this surgery that I was going to eliminate foods from my diet that were trigger foods for me or didn't carry any nutritional value such as Pasta, potatoes, rice etc. nt because I can't eat them I just choose not to because they don't fill me up and make me crave them more. If you have any additional questions I will be more than happy to try and answer those for you. Good luck on your journey.

Wow! You look amazing. Congratulations.

There are a few people here who fall in this category. I started my journey at a high weight of 327. I now weigh less that 192 (not sure the exact weight bc I don't weigh but once every 4-6 weeks at my doctor's office.)

My journey started with me trying yet another DIET on January 2, 2012. I gave up most refined carbohydrates for that year, and by May of 2013, I weighed 288. I joined a gym and painstakingly made myself go 5-6 days a week, even though I could barely move, or breathe, for the first two months. I had lapband surgery on Aug 22, 2013, with my weight at 271. I now weigh somewhere at or less than 192. I still go to the gym 6 days a week, and I LOOK FORWARD TO IT EACH AND EVERY DAY. I will post "Before" and "Now" pictures here........

Thank you AuntDi! My current weight is 338 and I got here because of yo-yo dieting and a not so active lifestyle. I never really did any real research to find out how to maintain my loss when I did lose weight.

Before your pre-op appointment do you take any steps to ease into what would be your post-op life or did you go in cold turkey?

Hi Candace,

I weighed 354lbs on September 4, 2013 when I went for my pre-op appointment. I had surgery on September 11, 2013. I weighed last week and was at 197lbs. I am not, apparently, the normal lap band patient. My surgeon and my nutritionist remind me of this at every appointment. However, I have done exactly what my doctor asked me to do. If he said no coffee, I had no coffee. If he said eat fruit, I ate fruit. If he said jump, I asked how high. I no longer have high blood pressure. I no longer need strong meds for my arthritis pain. I exercise 3-4 times a week at a boxing gym. I ride my bike. I walk when my knees and feet will allow. So, I don't think of myself as special. I am just me. If I can do this....anyone can. Good luck to you!

Yes, about a month before I started replacing a meal with a Protein shake. And I gave up sodas and Desserts. I also started cutting out carbs. But, if I wanted something I had it :)

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you AuntDi! My current weight is 338 and I got here because of yo-yo dieting and a not so active lifestyle. I never really did any real research to find out how to maintain my loss when I did lose weight.

Before your pre-op appointment do you take any steps to ease into what would be your post-op life or did you go in cold turkey?

Hi Candace. My high weight was 267. Because I'm only a little over five feet tall, this meant I had a BMI of more than 50. Morbidly obese is what I was. I got the lapband in January of 2013 and pre-op I lost 17 lbs. The day of surgery, I was 250 lbs. and today I'm 128. I'm in the normal BMI range but these are just numbers.

The important thing is that I lost the weight I needed to and got the hip replacements I had to have. I went from constant, debilitating pain to almost no pain and being able to move around like a normal person again. I've gone from simply existing to living again. I've said it many times on this forum....I have truly been reborn. I have a life again and it's all good.

Don't let a high starting weight deter you. Don't let the past failures deter you. If you do as your doctor tells you, you will succeed. As my signature says, 'Compliant bandsters are successful bandsters'. Many of those who responded to you are just as successful as I have been so here's to your future success. Wishing you all the best.

Candelen02, if this is any help , my hubby was diagnosed a diabetic about a year or so before my WLS.. We started cutting back on anything white, or high carb like potatoes, Pasta, bread, cereals etc.. We switched to more baked chicken, fish and high Protein meats, brown rice, whole grain pastas and bread. Potatoes and bread maybe once a week. By the time I had surgery, I di'nt miss anything, because I was already used to eating it.. I did'nt like soda pop, only occasionally a margarita. My problem with weight was the large amounts I could eat, and an incredible sweet tooth ! Now, thanks to the lap band, both problems are under control better. Look up "Diabetic recipies "online for some ideas. Good luck !

I started at 370 down to 280 after 3 months, it has taken a lot of discipline, working out and tolerance but if I can do it anyone can. Pre surgery I gave into cravings all the time and had not control. It clicked for me in the 10 day liquid diet what I had to do and did not look back. My goal was 200 but I feel so good I am thinking 150!

Wow! Amazing stories! Keep up the good work!

Penoto. You are inspiring!!!

I started out at my highest weight of 317lbs on April. 25, 2013 as of today I am down to 173lbs and I feel great. It has taken a lot of hard work and dedication.

Let's see, I started at 272 and now fluctuate at 183-187. I had my lap and since 2/8/12, since then I had plateau a few times and gained. My doctor is really great. Just keep at it and you should be great. Just remember that the weight didn't go on overnight and it won't leave overnight.