Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aspiration Problems

I have been banded 2 years now and I have alot of aspiration back into my lungs, thus causing and infection or pneumonia. My band is not too tight and I am not losing anymore weight. In fact, I haven't lost what I should have because if I tighten my band anymore the aspiration would be worse. Please if you are going through this talk to me.

I know what you are talking about. I have lots of reflux and aspiration problems for about a year now (I am 19 months out). I have never had any type of reflux problems before my first fill. The dr gave me a 2.5 which was just too tight. After 3 months of it they decided to take it completly out, put me on nexium for 7 weeks to see if the problem could be corrected. It did indeed help, however 2 months later I had half of the fill put back in (1.8) and to this day have not had another one. I have lost 98 lbs but I suffer with reflux/aspiration problems 4 out of 7 days. My primary care doctor put me back on nexium this last month because of the reflux was just too bad. It is so very frustrating. I try very hard NOT to eat any of the "trigger" foods, I don't eat after 6pm and often I still have problems....my thing is will this be forever???

hi,

i'm very glad i found this thread. i'm newly banded....i am going crazy. i havent been able to eat for weeks. all i can do is drink Protein shakes.

i just found out 2 days ago i have aspiration pneumonia. i'm on antibiotics. so my breathing is better.

this morning i was starting to feel a little like my old self and decided to try soft boiled egg (i need something of substance in my mouth). i ate 1/4 of 1 egg and i've just spent the last few hours sliming, throwing up and the shoulder pain came back

2 weeks ago they checked my band with the fluroscope and my doctor said it is "perfect". i feel stuck. band doctor tells me "dont worry" it is fine. i feel i cant go to a regular doctor as they dont know the band.

i feel like the problem is in the middle of my chest. like my esophogus area.

i'm leaving for a 10 day trip on sunday....i guess i just have to deal with it till i return...

i'm sick of complaining....

but any insight???

thanks leatha for the advice. i've been thinking of buying a sleep number bed

i'm most concerned that i cant eat anything. today the Protein shake wont go down....

does it sound right 4 weeks after operation to have this? i havent had any fills.

the upside is...i'm not really hungry....

I have been banded 2 years now and I have alot of aspiration back into my lungs, thus causing and infection or pneumonia. My band is not too tight and I am not losing anymore weight. In fact, I haven't lost what I should have because if I tighten my band anymore the aspiration would be worse. Please if you are going through this talk to me.

Have you had a recent UGI or flouroscopy? Unless you have, you might be too tight without knowing it. The reason I ask is that last summer I had a small fill and started having reflux. I did not notice any increased restriction, in fact I felt I could eat more. After a month, I had the extra fill removed and the reflux resolved. I continued to feel like I didn't have good restriction and was gaining so I had a tiny fill a couple of months ago. No reflux this time, but no additional restriction, so I had an upper GI.

THe UGI showed a huge esophageal dilatation, caused by being too tight. In retrospect this had probably been going on for about a year. The food was stretching out my esophagus rather than giving me a full feeling. I had all the fill removed, repeated the UGI last week. It showed that my esophagus was completely back to normal. I got a small re-fill yesterday.

SO unless you've had x-rays, you could be too tight with out knowing it. I was. I thought I was OK because I never PB'd. I've come to the conclusion that I can't let my band do most of the work anymore. I'm going with a looser fill, limiting portions, exercise and continuing the ongoing work of improving my diet and behaviors. Even without a tight fill, I have less hunger that I did before banding, so I'm working that to my advantage.

Even if you don't look too tight on flouro, you may have to back off on fill. Aspiration is dangerous. I resisted the idea of having fill removed for a long time, but found that I can eat heathier when looser. I had to make a BIG change in my thinking. I've actually re-lost almost all of the weight I regained in the last 6 months. I've done it by eating solid Protein, more fresh fruits and vegetables, limiting simple carbs, fried foods, and increasing cardio.

I hope you can find a way to get your symptoms resolved while keeping your band working for you. Don't jeopordize your health by allowing the aspiration to continue.

Kami 5'8"

1/31/05

274/155/153

Thanks Kami, I think this is the best advice I have received yet. After all, it is about a lifestyle change and I think, without realizing it I have relied on the band to do all the work without my help. I will contact my doctor for a small unfill Monday am.

CC

If you don't want to fork out the $$ for a sleep-number bed, due to my dad's problems with acid reflux and his gall bladder removal (he still eats things he's not suppose to), his doctor told him to put 2x4's at the top of his bed under the legs. It lifts it up just a couple of inches and he says it makes a big difference.

I know this may be so stupid but could someone please explain to me what exactly reflux is. I'm not sure if thats what I have going on or what. I was banded 4-27-07 :clap2: and have been doing pretty goos except this tight feeling in my chest that stays and then every so often tiny little sharp pains. This maybe weird sounding but sometimes when i have those pains my throat actually hurts. I did not of any of these types of problems before the surgery so I was not sure if this is normal afterwards or what. Will it go away or will I always suffer with this. Also can anyone help me knowledge on the different bad sizes? I know I have a 10cm. This site has been a wonderful thing. Thanks everyone.

I was banded over 2 years ago and have experienced reflux, aspiration pneumonia, and esophageal dilation. None of that is fun, but aspiration can be deadly. You really don't want to try and live with that. One Bandster from another online group ended up with a huge abscess in her lungs from aspiration.

My latest series of problems resulted in having to be unfilled for almost 3 weeks and limited to mushies. During that time, I gained 8 pounds! I just had my swallow test today and my esophagus is back to normal and I got a small fill. The bad news is that if you keep stretching it, the esophagus will eventually NOT spring back into shape and you (me) could end up losing our bands.

I'm on antibiotics for THREE MONTHS as a result of the aspiration. And I haven't even gotten to the esophagitis, which can lead to Barrett's Esophagus and cancer.

You may not think you are too tight, but if you are suffering aspiration, you ARE too tight. Everyone reacts to banding differently, so what's "too tight" for one person may be not tight enough for another.

I was banded over 2 years ago and have experienced reflux, aspiration pneumonia, and esophageal dilation. None of that is fun, but aspiration can be deadly. You really don't want to try and live with that. One Bandster from another online group ended up with a huge abscess in her lungs from aspiration.

My latest series of problems resulted in having to be unfilled for almost 3 weeks and limited to mushies. During that time, I gained 8 pounds! I just had my swallow test today and my esophagus is back to normal and I got a small fill. The bad news is that if you keep stretching it, the esophagus will eventually NOT spring back into shape and you (me) could end up losing our bands.

I'm on antibiotics for THREE MONTHS as a result of the aspiration. And I haven't even gotten to the esophagitis, which can lead to Barrett's Esophagus and cancer.

You may not think you are too tight, but if you are suffering aspiration, you ARE too tight. Everyone reacts to banding differently, so what's "too tight" for one person may be not tight enough for another.

How do I know for sure what it is? Today is day 10 and I do have to say my throat hurts worse today than ever. All day I have had these little sharp pains that seem to radiate up from behind my breast bone. It is VERY uncomfortable and does hurt at about 5 when the litttle attack comes but goes pretty quickly. Ive been taking Pepcid complete daily and my DH just went and got me some Zantac 75 and throat spray. Could this be just from "surgery" do you think? I havent had any problems drinking or eating except it hurts to swallow sometimes. ( most of the time). Im actually getting worried, I DO NOT want to lose my band and I just dont wanna be a complainer. Thank you VERY much for your help. I am a VERY newbie to all this.

Janell....you are too new to have aspiration issues, as you have no fill at this time. I suspect you have plain old heartburn and the OTC meds should relieve it. If they don't, contact your doctor.

Your throat may still be tender from the surgery, especially if you had a breathing tube.

I was miserable from after the surgery from the gas that's used in the abdomen. I have a subclavian port (right above my left boob where your bra cup meets the strap...just the way my doctor likes to put them) and the gas that the body absorbs takes a while in some individuals. It hurt me all the way up to my left shoulder. Also, when I get too full, I hurt in my shoulder, neck, and lower back??? Weird but as bad as it makes me feel, I totally stop when I start feeling the slightest bit full.

After being banded, I had to take it easy on the items that contain a lot of citric acid such as Orange juice, V8, propell, etc....they upset my stomach and still do to a certain degree. A lot of reflux problems are caused by over production of stomach acid, and since you are just out from surgery, this may be your problem...I had the same thing happen and if I go too long between meals, I still have that issue.

Ask for some nexium from your doctor...or for the cheaper route try the Sam's club or Walmart version of Zantac. Good luck!

Do you still have your gall bladder? If you do and have stones, they can cause all kinds of different pain locations for different people.