Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help-losing weight before surgery

So I am starting my WLS journey and have all ready hit a road block. The only hospital that takes my insurance will not operate on anyone over a 60 BMI. Mine is 74 and I will have to lose 70 lbs before I get the surgery. It seems daunting, so much that I don't even want to continue on the journey because it will take so long and I will have months of extreme hunger trying to lose enough weight.

I have been under anesthesia before at this weight and never had an issue.

I understand it's their policy and as such I don't want to change it, just that for me 70 lbs seems impossible. I have never lost more than 60 lbs before in my life. I'm hungry ALL the time no matter if I just ate or not, surgery is the only thing that will stop it.

I'm sorry i'm being so negative i'm just now so deflated after finding this out. I have my first appt in 2 days. It is 2 hours away from me. I all ready have to wait 6 months because of insurance and I'm fine with that, but losing 70 lbs will take me at least a year if not more (or never).

I'm sorry they put this road-block in your way, but you CAN do this! Eat small meals every 3-4 hours. It'll boost your metabolism. Start now with eating fewer carbs and getting in plenty of quality protein! You have to wait the 6 months anyway. You may as well be using that time to get the excess weight off! Drop the defeating self-talk! Stay positive and keep coming on here for support! I have faith in you. You CAN do this!!

I agree do not give up!

If you have any "naughty" habits right now such as sugary sodas/drinks or fast food for example, just giving those up alone will really boost your weight loss right away with minimal effort. Just a tip.

Good luck to you :)

Yeah, i've cut out sugar. I am eating healthy just in large quantities because I'm so hungry all the time. I'm never sated. I never actually feel full. I can eat a bowl of plain oatmeal with fresh berries in the morning and 2 hours later be starving. Normal people don't feel that way after eating Protein and Fiber, but I do and I don't know what's wrong with me. is it just that my stomach is stretched out?

Working out is hard as well because of the pains in my joints and back. I have started doing sit down exercises but i doubt I have lost any weight.

What was your BMI at the time of surgery? This doctor will not operate on anyone over 60 BMI. I feel like that is a small amount of people who are under 60 BMI before surgery.

It seems like most of the people I've read on this site are in the 35-50 bmi range at the time of the surgery. That is extremely non-scientific, just what I have observed. Others may correct me on this.

Regarding oatmeal -- I actually am also starving after oatmeal for Breakfast myself. So much so that I switched to greek yogurt because of it. I would be looking for a snack around 10am everytime with oatmeal.

My suggestion is to try something else for Breakfast and see how you feel. Like I said, the greek yogurt works for me. High Protein and non-carby.

Edited by woo woo

My BMI is around 55. And I agree with woo woo. Try something with more Protein, less carbs in the morning and see if that lasts longer for you.

My bmi was 46 when I started. Before my surgery, I could eat oatmeal or Cereal in the morning and never be full. I agree have high Protein meals. Protein dense foods will really fill you up. Try to stay away from carbs. Look at it this eating a high protein diet now will help prepare you for after surgery when have to eat protein first and if you have room veggies or fruit. I never have room for the veggies or fruit. You can do this! Try getting some exercise in a pool, it's low impact so it won't be so bothersome on your joints. Keep us posted on your journey. If you need someone to talk to feel free to pm me anytime.

Edited by jtickle

Wow what a tough situation to be in. the whole reason you want surgery is to lose weight but to be told to lose weight to have the surgery that has got to feel just darn right sinful.

However. and you haven't mentioned which one you want and honestly it really doesn't matter as each one of them has rules that you have to follow - you can look at the next ~6mts as a trial run. can you live with a life changing event - do you want this bad enough to do what ever it takes?

a lot of people look at surgery as the easy way out very few of them realize how much hard work is required. from the self discipline to behave. from lapband to bypass each of them require you to behave in an entirly new way.

all i can suggest is start living life like you have already had the surgery - when your hungry fill up on Water. go for a walk, take up a new hobby but keep those hands busy.

this site has been amazing for me thorugh the last year with the support from every one on here. when your feeling down and like you can't do it just come post here. no one will judge they will give you sometimes the cold hard truth

i wish you the best of look and hope you find a way to feel positive about yourself and get to where you want to be.

Oh how I feel you. My BMI was around the same as yours when I first saw the surgeon. He wanted me to be at a 60 BMI as well. That was in mid February. I was going to have to lose about 85 pounds. I figured it would take me all year. I got there mid June and had my surgery at the end of June and I promise you I was not hungry all the time. Sometimes I was, but most of the time I was satisfied.

First thing I want to say is that just because it worked for me doesn't mean it is the "right" way or the only way. I'm not telling you to do this, just sharing. If you want to know more information, please feel free to send me a message.

My nutritionist at the surgeon's office put me on a program that had me using 3 Meal Replacement shakes a day and eating two sensible dinners of Protein and green vegetables. I cut out dairy, starch and sugar. They didn't insist on a certain kind of shake, they just wanted one that had at least 10g of Protein and was low in carbs and sugar. I found one that tasted prettty good when I doctored it up and drank them 3 times a day most days, only 2 times a day on some days.

I ate mostly turkey, chicken, and fish as far as protein goes because (as a true volume eater) I could have more of them than I could something with more calories. 4oz of tilapia is about 100 calories. 4oz of chicken or turkey breast is about 110 or 120. I'd steam some broccoli or I'd roast some Brussels sprouts or some other veggie and I'd be good.

Now, some things I did "wrong" according to my nutritionist (though she never knew I did them): I was told that in between meals and shakes I could only have something like a sugar free popsicle or SF Jello or a dill pickle but only 1 or two a day.

I kept myself from gorging and feeling deprived by eating those things when I felt hungry and I didn't limit it to only once or twice a day.

One thing I kept on hand AT ALL TIMES was hard boiled eggs. One large hard boiled egg has about 78 calories and 6 grams of protein with nearly zero carbs. I didn't eat the whole egg though. Instead I ate only the egg whites. One hard boiled egg white has 17 calories and 3.6g of protein. I'd peel 2 of those and eat them and feel satisfied. I'd throw the yolk outside at night for the raccoons to eat. The raccoons and stray cats around my house have a gorgeous coat but probably high cholesterol ;)

I also made a veggie Soup with a mishmash of vegetables that would only be about 35 calories or so a cup and that helped a lot.

You CAN do this. If I can do it, I have to believe it can be done by anyone who wants it. It may take you longer to get your surgery than what you want but in the meantime you'll be developing better habits. I know I did. I learned to live without fast food and pizza delivery and I learned what foods were better choices. Slowly I started being satisfied on less as well because when I get simple carbs I'm like a shark on a feeding frenzy and I cut those out.

Please believe in yourself. You can do it.

(Jeez this got long. Sorry about that, all)

Edited by une nouvelle vie

I had to get my HgA1C down below 8 before my surgery (my hospital will not do surgery on you if your diabetes is not well controlled). At the time I started at my hospital, it was over 9%. By the time my pre op testing rolled around several months later, I got it down to 6.1%

You can start slowly - just walk 10 minutes a day. Then after a week add in 10 more minutes a day. Doesn't have to be super fast. If you have access to a treadmill you can just walk 1.5 or 2 miles per hour - whatever pace is comfortable since you have bad joints.

In regard to food - use myfitnesspal.com to log what you are eating. Maybe invest in a food scale to monitor portions. Even if you aren't eating the healthiest things, it is kind of eye opening to find out how small a serving size of something is. But by all means, don't try all these things at once. You'll just get frustrated and overwhelmed. Try one or two suggestions at first. Get comfortable with them, then incorporate more changes into your life.

DONT GIVE UP NOW-YOU'VE COME TO FAR. THE HEAVIER YOU ARE THE MORE QUICKER YOU LOOSE WEIGHT. YOU HAVE 6 MONTHS TO DO THIS AND YOU CAN DO THIS. TRY DRINKING Protein Shakes, LOW CARB, LOW SUGAR SUCH AS Premier Protein shake, OR Atkins Protein Shake. IT HELPED ME PRE-SURGERY WEIGHT LOSS-I LOST 24 LBS IN 2 WEEKS, BUT I ALSO TOOK SMALL STEPS SUCH AS WALKING AS MUCH AS I COULD. IF YOU HAVE TO BREAK IT UP WITH WALKING- DO IT....IF YOU CAN ONLY WALK 5-10 MINUTES THAT IS FINE-DO THAT , THEN WALK LATER ON THAT DAY ANOTHER 5-10 MINUTES. THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO GET MOVING ANYWAY YOU CAN. TRY EATING BAKED MEAT-CHICKEN, BEEF, TURKEY--, eggs, ...THIS HELPED ME. VEGGIES DIDNT FILL ME UP AT ALL. BUT WATCH YOUR bread, RICE, Pasta, FLOUR PRODUCTS. THE WHITE MADE ME GAIN WEIGHT---- BUT DONT GIVE UP. I TOOK ME 7 MONTHS BEFORE SURGERY TO GET APPROVED --IT WILL BE HERE BEFORE YOU KNOW IT--I HOPE THIS HELPS:)

IN REFERENCE TO THE OATMEAL IN THE MORNING--I MAY BE WRONG --BUT IT IS A CARD TO A CERTAIN DEGREE AND IM SURE IT IS BREAKING DOWN INTO SUGAR WHICH SPIKES YOUR BLOOD SUGAR AND DROPS IT AND MAKES YOU HUNGRY. I USED TO EAT OATMEAL IN THE MORNING AND I TOO WAS VERY HUNGRY , BUT WHEN I ATE TURKEY BACON, eggs WITH cheese I WASNT AS HUNGRY--- SO I THINK IF YOU EAT MORE Protein IT WOULD BE BETTER FOR YOU----

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement and wisdom! This has made me feel much better, i was so negative before because it was such a surprise to hear, you know? But I can do this! And I will!

Do NOT give up! You can do this! Start making small changes and soon they will add up to a big difference., I understand your physical problems making exercise a painful experience. I have a very very bad back that severely restricts my ability to move. I started walking to the end of my driveway and back, then doing it twice a day. Then I walked down half the block and back and then went to doing it twice a day, etc. start as small as you need to and work up as you physically can.

As far as eating I agree with everyone above. Another breakfast idea that works really well and fills me up is an egg and veggie scramble. I dice up whatever veggies appeal to me that morning (peppers, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, zucchini ) and always a big handful of spinach in a nonstick fry pan. I sautéed the veggies until they are done enough for me. I scramble 2 eggs in a bowl and dump it in with the veggies. Stir it until the eggs are cooked and put it on a plate. I then add 1/8 or 1/4 cup of low fat shredded cheese on top if I feel like it. This makes a huge plate of breakfast with a lot of Protein and a lot of veggies. This sticks with me for hours longer than either cereal or oatmeal. Also make a huge pot of veggie Soup with low fat no sodium broth and any veggies you like. I freeze it in 1.5 cup servings so I can pull it out and microwave it when I am desperately hungry. Do a search on the Internet for weight watchers zero point veggie soup. You can do this! I know this is a huge blow, but you can overcome this! Dig deep and find a way that works for you.

You might consider a medically supervised weight loss fast like HMR. The weight will come off very quickly. I lost 80 pounds with them in only a few months many many years ago. I am having WLS because I'm tired of the yo-yo and it didn't help me keep weight off but I would do it in a heart beat if it men to could get life-saving surgery. My best to you. Don't give up!!!

Here is their website: http://www.hmrprogram.com/

Edited by shellief