Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Portions and sliders?

I'm 13 weeks out and I have some food and eating questions. So far I've lost 30lbs (so excited!!) but the last month I've had little help from the band. I was due for my second fill (which I discussed on another thread) but that was cancelled until my office finds a new surgery center. It looks like it will be another month for my fill. I don't feel like I need a huge fill but I'm definitely noticing changes. My major concern is portion size. A lot of people say they eat about a cup of food. I'm confused because my surgeon wants me to eat 3-4 oz of Protein a veggie and a starch only if I still feel hungry. That seems like more than one cup of food?? For example, yesterday I had 3 oz of grilled chicken, 1/2 cup of steamed broccoli and 2 bites of potatoes. Does a cup if food mean packed?? I don't want to over stress but I don't want to over eat either. Do you follow this while not all the way restricted? I'm hungry more often so I'm having to eat a snack in between lunch and dinner but I still can't handle anything more than coffee for Breakfast. That's why I think I just need a small fill. My next question is about sliders. What are they exactly? The only thing I eat that I feel goes down differently is mashed potatoes. I can only eat 2 bites and I feel so full with them. I've had low sugar ice cream 2 times since surgery but could only eat 3/4 cup (before I could have eaten to whole dang thing). I want to avoid sliders especially during the waiting for green zone time!

You may need a fill...if you cannot go 4 hours between meals without getting hungry. I eat about a cup of food at a sitting since I have had my first fill. Before that I was eating 1 1/2 cups at a time..but still going 4 hours between meals. Sliders differ depending on the person. Mashed potatoes are not sliders for me either... you should be more satiated on Proteins before going for the potatoes. I have found if I do not get enough Protein, my hunger comes back quicker...so even if I have to eat 4-6oz of chicken...I will do that, and end up not wanting the carbs left on my plate. It sounds like you are doing what you are supposed to, though. How many cc's do you have in your band now?

You even to be following the plan. Slider food are the ones like chips, crackers, and popcorn. Things that have no nutritional value but, we crave. I get to be on vacation now for two weeks in LA while wife is working so I get to work out and sight see, and pass EVERY fast food place. How do you put three burger places next to each other???so I will jump over Jack in the box, drive out of in-n-out , and look away from Carl's burgers while here. Keep on the track we will get through this together...

Congrats on your fantastic loss so far! I think it's important to follow the rules YOUR doctor laid out for YOU. Every doctor is different which is why you will hear some say they eat no more than 1 cup at a meal and others like you who state they were told to eat 3-4oz Protein, 1/2 cup veggies and 1 starch (if you still have room) per meal. Do what your doctor says not someone else's doctor has instructed them to do.

My doctor gave me the exact same instructions you've been given. In the begining I was just like you , confused and really unsure which one was correct because you're right the amount we've been given unless packed is more than a cup, so I dug out my instructions again and just verified I was doing what he told me and ignored everyone elses instructions. It seems to have worked for me, so don't stress yourself over it because it's working for you as well:-)

As far as sliders go, these are considered foods that go straight through the band opening without stopping to fill the new small pouch the band has created so you don't ever get that satisfied feeling. Some people get in trouble with these because obviously they're foods that have no nutritional value and are also things most people crave so they can eat them without ever feeling full, much like you don't have a band at all. These foods can be ice cream, cake, Cookies, chips, crackers, popcorn, some say yogurt and Protein Bars are sliders for them but honestly I've not had any food that has acted like a slider for me so again everyone is different.

Edited by enjoythetime

Thanks for all the good info. I don't feel like I've had any foods yet that I feel are sliders to me?? I've inly felt that some foods are more difficult to go down than others. Mashed potatoes are a huge filler for me! Weird. I'm definitely going to stick with my surgeons suggestions on Portion Control. I feel like it's working for me and fits my personality as well. It's good to hear that there are others that follow this method as well though!

I eat within the guide of no more than a cup of food. What really happens, is some meals I can eat that full cup, other times, after three bites, I'm done. Some days the high Protein fruit smoothie I make, fills me so well, that I'm not interested in food. And then there are times when something taste so good, I don't want to stop, but the band clearly speaks enough! Who knows if it's right or wrong, it just is... I do try to make sure I remember that Multi Vitamins & my fav flax seed oil!