Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I NEED to hear success stiries from long time banders!

Want to get the band but all these horror stories are scaring the sh.. Out if me!! I love the idea of losing the weight slowly as opposed to how quickly you lose it with the sleeve. Can I hear some success banders stories? Can I hear about all the positive things that happen when you got your band? How it changed your life? I need it! Ha ha. Thank you to you all!

Edited by unsupersizeme

There are unlimited horror stories with all the surgeries.

I was newly banded June 20th and I am thrilled with it. I have been working on this for 6 weeks and down 40lbs without any problems. The pre-op diet was killer for me though coming down from eating anything I wanted to what I need to loose weight.

Most (not all) band problems come from human error. I think the statistics other than our own fault are like 3% or something like that. Make sure if you pick the band to pick a surgeon with loads of positive results. That can make all the difference and then stick to what they tell you.

Good luck,

Colleen

I try to stay away from horror stories. There are so many success stories. Choose a good surgeon! Risks are involved with any surgery. My Lapband was June 26th.. No abnormal symptoms.

pick a topic any topic and you will find horror stories... you can just read through this site and find so many success stories out there. Me i have been banded 10mts. and i wouldn't change a thing. I'm down 64lbs lost slowly - so far i don't have excess skin to worry about. doesn't mean i won't.

Do i wish i had lost more by now sure who wouldn't.. am i happy right now HECK yes. Life has changed in more ways than i can count/imagine or even remember.

as an earlier poster said find a surgeon do your research and go with your gut. Is this surgery for every one.. simple fact is No. it's not. You still require discipline you still have to pick the right food choice.. if you cheat the band will fail it's that simple.

I've had my issues and concerns. but it always comes back to me not following the rules. :D

Just be sure this is what you want and that you want it bad enough to follow the rules most of the time....we're all human :P

I can only tell you that the band is a tool. It will help you to lose weight, and too keep it off... other than that, it is not a magical weight loss solution. It takes effort, exercise and paying attention to Protein and calorie intake.

I am coming up,on 4 years....have been 100% successful for well over 2 years...I have not had a single problem...not one.

This has been the easiest thing I could have ever done...,no hunger, portion sizes completely under control, unable to overeat no matter how hard I may try....if I wanted to that is...I cannot cheat if I wanted to.

Goal weights have come and gone...my body stopped loosing when it decided it was finished loosing, settling at a good body fat % in the "Fit-athletic" range....don't care for BMI's...to me they're worthless, unless you are just starting out.

I have not gained nor lost any weight in over 2-1/2 years....I live day by day, without even thinking about it...just go about my business...eat what and when I want....and I don't want much, and when I do I choose good healthy nutritious foods...no calorie counting, no portion measuring.

I do keep a close watch on my daily Protein intake, as well as Water. And I go to the gym every chance I get...feel like crap when I don't.

I do not fear parties, holidays, family picnics, cruises...whatever...the band is the band is the band, no matter where I am at or what time of year it is,,,the band does not change.

The first 4-6 months was pure struggling, and frustrating to say the least...felt it was a big waste of my time and that I made a big mistake......but once my band got properly adjusted, and most importantly after I GOT ADJUSTED TO THE BAND, it HAS been a magic wand the whole way....it is a NEW NORMAL...not a diet...will never have a need to go on a diet again...not as long as the band remains a constant, then so will I.

I know everyone has their own story of success to share, but you asked for one and this one is mine....100%...Finished! And proud of it.

Edited by B-52

Want to get the band but all these horror stories are scaring the sh.. Out if me!! I love the idea of losing the weight slowly as opposed to how quickly you lose it with the sleeve. Can I hear some success banders stories? Can I hear about all the positive things that happen when you got your band? How it changed your life? I need it! Ha ha. Thank you to you all!

My 2 year is next week. Best thing I ever did was the band. It tells me when to stop eating, when I took a too large of a bite I would do it again. All my insides are still there. My doctor does small fills. I had 4 of them for a total of 2.8. I feel I am fine with this. Some people have huge amounts in their bands. Every doctor is different. Good luck.

I love my band !!! No horror stories here !!! I was banded Dec 2011, at 225 lbs. My Dr. said " if you follow the rules 95 % of the time , you'll lose the weight. " Well I did listen and lost 65 of the 85 lbs, my body seems to have settled at a healthy 160. I started swimming 3 x a week just before I was banded, and walking 1-2 times a week. Now, no more sleep apnea, digestive problems or disliking what I see in the mirror. Now I m a healthy , happy size 10, I can run , ( wheeee !!!

Sorry, operator error !!! Anyhow, now I can run ! I can eat 95 % of food, just a few things are no no s. But who cares ? Not me !! Hope this helps, the band literally gave me my life back !! Good luck !!

My band is my best friend. It totally saved my life. I went from 350 lbs to 185 in a year. A bmi of 50 down to 22. I couldn't walk properly. Wash myself, wipe my bum properly. My existence was horrible. I would happily of died. I had no future or hope. However now I'm loving life. I'm fit healthy slim-ish. I feel better no IBS. No heartburn, sores on my skin. But it's not without sacrifice. I count calories everyday. Workout 2h a day. And have a lot of loose skin. I'm having a TT in a month. Then boobs and arms finally thighs. I still want occasionally to eat rubbish and have gained at times. chocolate and icecream are killers. But I wouldn't change it for anything.

I just had my 6th year anniversary and I struggled the first year trying to figure out the right fill, etc. The weight loss has been super slow but steady!!! I would say about 10-15 lbs per year on average, but I have NO REGRETS-- only that I wish I had done it sooner or in my 30's. It is a tool as other have stated.

Hang in there and read this forum. It really helped me with ideas of food to eat, what to do and the trials and tribulations of having the lap band. You will settle into in time. Keep going back if the fill is not right. They will help you figure it out.

I am just about to hit my 2 year mark with the band and I am down 152 pounds.

I have had no issues, no complications, nothing of the sort. I did hit a plateau for a while but I made it through. I am now currently at the lowest weight I have been at in maybe 10 or so years, as depressing as that is thinking about my highest weight point. I've come this far, I can definitely push myself to my goal!

I wouldn't have been able to do it without this forum being here, it's always nice to be surrounded by people going through the exact same thing as you are. And the success stories are amazing.

Before I could barely move around without having joint pains/etc, currently I am going to a gym first thing in the morning/a second gym at night (because addicted)/zumba 3x a week as well as many walks throughout the week.

I would go back and do it all over again, much sooner, if I could.

I just had my 6th year anniversary and I struggled the first year trying to figure out the right fill, etc. The weight loss has been super slow but steady!!! I would say about 10-15 lbs per year on average, but I have NO REGRETS-- only that I wish I had done it sooner or in my 30's. It is a tool as other have stated.

Hang in there and read this forum. It really helped me with ideas of food to eat, what to do and the trials and tribulations of having the lap band. You will settle into in time. Keep going back if the fill is not right. They will help you figure it out.

Hi all it's been awhile since I've been here. I am at 11 months banded have many chronic conditions incl. Diabetes, Bipolar, Low thyroid. Anyhow I take about 33 pills a day but just added 4 more for my Migraines. So anyway it has taken me all this time to lose 35lbs. Now since I took insulin I was feeding myself to cover my insulin. So (now this is just for me) I stopped my 4 units twice a day and my sugar levels are good and I'm eating only when hungry about 2x a day now the weight is beginning to fall off quickly. I now have my sugar under control ( I also take 5 pills) my migraines (pills) but I am beginning to once again feel the renewed rush of letting my band do what it's suppose to do. I just wish I had an inkling 10 months ago about the problems that were keeping me from losing...but I know now that's all that counts. I see my endocrinologist and giving him my sugar levels and the last 2 weeks is a big 0 as far as insulin goes. I hope this continues. My mind set is correct with my band. I feel pretty good about it right now.

nearly 2 1/2 yrs banded

no issues

just a better (quality) of life (which is what having WLS means)

but i can now do things i couldnt do before (IE: wipe my ass, walk, put my socks on)......

saved my life.....