Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My little lap band monster is coming out!

I was banded in 2007 in the USA. Struggled the entire process. Acid reflux, burping, not being able to keep anything down even will 2cc in my band. I'm traveling to Mexico to get it removed on Aug. 7th by Dr. Alvarez. Has anyone had any experience with Dr. Alvarez?

Has anyone had their band removed and felt like a failure?

I hope to get a sleeve in a few months!

I've never heard of your surgeon but as far as the removal goes, if it didn't work it just didn't work. You can't make you body tolerate something like this. All we can do is hope and follow the guidelines as close as possible. It sounds like you are already thinking about your next steps so keep your head up.

If nothing could get in sync since 2007, then I would say it's not going too....the reasons are not important at this point, there was plenty of time to try to figure out what was wrong....

Sorry out did not work out for you....have you considered other surgical procedures? such as the sleeve?

Dr. Alvarez that advertises on this board? I don't know him personally but I did take time to watch some of his videos. He did the sleeve surgery on his mom and has a series on that. He does a LOT of video so I guess checking out his youtube page might give you a better feel for him (if he's the one you're talking about) https://www.youtube.com/user/Endobariatric

Good luck - really sorry that it didn't work out for you... but I pray for your success in whatever you decide to do!

I got mine removed this morning after 11 years. I'm in pain but besides that, best I've felt in ages. I'm down 150 from my heaviest and now saying goodbye to the HORRENDOUS complications I've had for the last year. I don't feel like a failure and I hope you don't either, regardless of what you have or haven't lost.

Good luck with it all xx

I'm nervous but can't wait to be free. I'm a self pay so the sleeve will be next. I want time for my body to heal and adjust to not being banded before the sleeve is done. Aug. 7th is the removal date. :)

I had mine out 1 month ago today. I don't feel like a failure b/c I followed the rules the best that I could before having complications. I was banded for five years and lost 45 lbs in the first 4-5 months and nothing since. I did learn some better eating habits. Even though I was too tight, I still gained back some weight. In a couple of months I plan to have RNY b/c my insurance will not pay for the sleeve. I thought that I would be depressed b/c I decided to have it removed, but I haven't been. I'm happy it was removed and now I can sleep on my left side again without pain and hopefully without the pain that I used to get from unknown causes that lasted 2-3 weeks in the port area. best of luck to you and keep me posted.

I'm now 2 weeks post op after the removal. I honestly didn't realize how shitty I felt for so long. I can't believe I lived with those complications that long.

I can now sleep on my back for the first time in 3 years, my 3 times a day vomiting is gone, no more night time aspiration and 3 hours sleep a night and best of all, bye bye reflux and Prilosec!

I had one week of eating like a sumo wrestler and now just went back to my tried and true lifestyle of no sugar, no wheat and no processed foods. I don't count anything but keep an eye on my carb intake. I feel amazing and am down 5lbs in 5 days. No looking back for me.

We are one and all but Pilgrims on a journey to find redemption from the dark attraction that makes our individual Over Eating a daily travail.

That so many potential paths are open is a mixed blessing, as there seems no way to predict which leads to our own personal mountain top resulting in satisfaction and triumph.

None of us can be certain we will succeed, and I thank those here who are kind enough to share their thwarted efforts.

Leaving the Land of the Morbidly Obese is not easy, as *something* drags us back all to frequently.

That the spirit continues seeking to overcome in so many ways despite frustration and turmoil is uplifting.

Nicely put Jack.

You certainly have a gift for writing. Kinda sounds like the renaissance fair conversations. Haha meant in a nice way

I certainly agree it is a daily journey to fight off the old ways of coping using food. Seems to get somewhat easier head wise years out of

Surgery.

I'm headed for 8 years banded and am so pleased. ..wish I knew about it sooner.. Still learning things here.

Hoping for the best with my band but always watching for possible issues. Thanks for your post.

Just watchme I hope it works out! It was a tough choice because I wanted it to "work" it just didn't for me. But there are many on here that love the band :) and have success, I hope you can be one of them!

RIP Lap Band 8/14/09 - 10/31/14

I miss my friend and constant reminder that I have cured my high blood pressure, sleep apnea and I was an insulin taking diabetic with my lap band's help I was in control of my diabetes with diet alone. I am a nurse who got hurt at work. When I found out that my injury ended my nursing career, I had a nervous break down I vomited projectile for days and fainted from panic attacks everyday. The vomiting made my band eat into my cardia and it was like being knifed . Hospital stay of 10 days and almost lost my life form the bleeding. I was left with an open wound and two JP drains the opening never closed I was left like that for 3 months with a open wound that would not heal. On Dec 19/14I had another emergency surgery to remove what was left in. A piece of mesh that my first doctor put over my port for stability. If any of you have a removal get the notes from your original lap band placement. Check to see if your surgeon put in mesh. Make sure the removal doctor knows.

This!!! It will save you the complications of another surgery. The port area got a terrible infection 3 rounds of antibiotics and wound care to close these wounds from the inside out. The little holes they used for the instruments burst with infection as well. Yes I gained lots of weight on a Paleo diet. This kind of diet is so post to help reboot your metabolism. My body was used to nearly nothing. I lost 90 lbs with my band and am now back up to 180 already. I am so mourning for my band. Trying so hard but I think, I will have to go for the sleeve. I feel defeated. I guess I just can't do it on my own. I never could!!! I am on the yo yo carousel how do I get off!!! Went to a nutritionist tried to do it right.

I may need to get my band removed due to dilated esophagus and restriction. The doctor recommends a conversion to bypass but I really don't want that as it seems such an invasive surgery which is why I had the band in the first place.

I lost 110 lbs since 12/2010 (330 -> 220) and I am pretty happy, however, I am worried about potential weight gain after removal.

Not sure I got the will power and discipline without the band.

I definitely do not want to get back to my old weight or even close to it and I also do not want to have the removal surgery and then maybe another surgery later for bypass.

I was banded in 2007 in the USA. Struggled the entire process. Acid reflux, burping, not being able to keep anything down even will 2cc in my band. I'm traveling to Mexico to get it removed on Aug. 7th by Dr. Alvarez. Has anyone had any experience with Dr. Alvarez?

Has anyone had their band removed and felt like a failure?

I hope to get a sleeve in a few months!

I lost 100lbs and then regained. I'm not a failure and you are not. I converted to sleeve and it is MUCH better.