Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 5'5" , 370# which surgery?

I'm 5'5", 370#.. Would you choose sleeve or bypass? & why? Anyone started with my numbers & had sleeve?

Hi personally I would say the bypass because I think you will have a better chance at loosing all the weight you want. You don't mentioned any cormobilities , or history of acid reflex . I started off at 332 pounds and I am down 57 pounds at 8 weeks. Discuss with your surgeon and see what their recommendation is and research both hood luck my friend .

I have hypothyroidism & depression but not anything like diabetes or high bp. I was set on the sleeve because of the rerouting of small intestine but after the seminar I went to I think the surgeon will suggest bypass , just the vibe I got from his lecture.

57 in 8 weeks is great !! Have you had any complications?

Michelle TN no complications I was type 2 diabetic and taking 6 shots of insulin a day, high blood pressure and high cholesterol . I was taken all of medications after 3 days. After all the gas came out I felt like a million bucks after 5 days from my surgery. I feel great ,I can't wait to see how much weight I will have lost by Xmas .

Any my incision sites healed so well you can't tell I even had surgury.

My husband called me tiny lol all if my coworkers say I look great, I feel great and I am smiling more, I even want to buy and wear dresses again .

Sounds wonderful. I can't wait to feel better about myself. Hopefully I'll get started soon. Just waiting on surgeon to call for first appointment. Lots to think about.

You will soon and you will be enjoying life again.

I am scheduled for lap band. I have heard so many pros/cons on all surgeries. After doing lots of research, I am just saying a prayer and will trust my surgeons advice. I have to do something to lose this weight. I believe surgery is my best choice. Good luck in whatever you decide. Let us know how you are doing on your journey.

I think you should talk to your surgeon and see what he thinks. My Rheumatologist suggested the sleeve for me, but my insurance did not cover it.

I saw one surgeon and he was hard core lapband and nothing else. I got a second opinion from another physician in the group and he said bypass and nothing else.

For me personally and with my other issues, GB made more sense and it is what I had just four days ago.

I cannot tell you as of yet how it has helped me. I am still recovering.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your reply. I'm so afraid I'll make the wrong choice. I've researched so much its all blending together. :-)

I originally was going to have the sleeve and prepared for it but both my surgeon and gastric doctor convinced me to have bypass because I had Gerds and the sleeve they told me would make it worse.

I had the bypass and I'm doing very well.

It's one of the best things I've done for myself.

I got rid of the majority of my meds from having this surgery and I also got rid of my high BP, high cholesterol, diabetes, Migraines, and a few others.

I have no real problems eating either.

I only have had one incident of dumping and that's because I ate to much of an omelet.

First and fore most important is to go with what your surgeon recommends for you because they are the only ones that know your medical history and what would be best suited for you.

Keep us informed of what you decide to do and good luck.

I am 5ft 5 and my starting weight was 315. I had the sleeve in April 2013. My current weight is 200lbs. The sleeve may have been the slower route but was the best decision for me. My advice for you is to do lots of research and do what you feels best for you. Good luck