Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No pre-op diet.......

Have any of you ever heard of no pre-op diet before surgery? My doctor did not recommend anything. I do plan to start my own from all that I have read here and from a family members advice. Thanks for any input!!

I've read a couple posts where folks only had to do Clear Liquids night before and so forth

Mine was only 24 hours but haven't heard of not having one at all!

Thanks for the comments. I guess I should have added.....doc did so no eating 24 hours prior but other than that no limitations. I still want to prepare my body somewhat for what lies ahead.

I've heard everything from a month or more on all liquids to no restrictions except clear liquids the day before and everything in between. Can't hurt to start eating healthier, but honestly, I hate my pre op diet, and I wouldn't do one if my surgeon didn't require it. I'd make healthier choices, maybe even replacing a meal or two with a Protein shake, but I certainly wouldn't do anything like what I've been doing for the past 2 weeks (pretty much three shakes a day and broth with some extras like sugar free Jello, pudding, and popsicles).

Good luck!

The one and only reason for the pre-op diet is to shrink the size of your liver which lies directly over the area being worked on and can easily be damaged when being moved out of the way. Maybe some surgeons are just confident that they can do the job without damaging the liver.

My surgery is August 14th and my doctor does not require me to do a pre-op diet.

I was on a all liquid diet one week before surgery with no Protein only think I was allowed was chicken broth Water and sugarfree Popsicles and sugarfree Jello .

My surgery will be in December and my insurance nor surgeon require a preop diet. They do require a daily food journal. I guess just to get used to being aware of what I put in my mouth.

I saw some people who had the sleeve done on the Doctors show. They only had to do clear Fluid s for 24 hrs before

So relieved, just wanted to be sure others had the same instructions, thank u all! Please feel free to keep in touch. I am new to this and I was told support is key to success.

Edited by PRINCESSM

Im almost done with two week liquid preop diet. As much as I hate it there are benefits. I am learning how to make the shakes ...which blender how much Water and ice etc. First couple of tries sucked nothing like a clumpy shake yuck. So now its like a habit I can make it without paying attention. Plus it helps to explain weight loss to coworkers that im not telling my business to.

I think it will help me be used to the deprivation of Clear Liquids and gradual return to eating food. And I feel healthier, can walk farther. I think recovery will be slightly better as a result.

The food journal is excellent, because it allows you to see exactly what you are eating, I use the myfitness pal app that I began as part of my program that was required by my surgeon program and it's awsume.

You are one of the luck ones, like I was. My doctor wanted me to lose 5 pounds if I could, but not picky. New rules say that it is the clinic's choice to put you on a pre-op or not.