Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Headache and Liquid Diet

I am on the first day and suffering from a horrible headache. I have gone back and forth between feeling great and thinking I am dying. Is there anything to help? OTC medicine isn't cutting it. I know it is a huge change in diet. This is going to be a HORRIBLE two weeks if I am in pain the entire time. And I apologize from whining but I had to get it out.

Don't worry I completely understand. I started my preop on Wednesday. And my surgeon told me that I could feel like I'm going to be sick and be light headed for a few days. And they are right but they said it should pass

Most of us understand because we went through this too, the pre-op diet is so hard! Your body and mind is going through withdrawals. Sounds a little crazy but it is true. Concentrate on getting through the day and soon it will be over. Baby steps...

Sheer willpower to get the surgery will get you through this and keep reminding yourself this part is temporary. To me, it got so much easier after surgery, especially when you get to full food choices. You need to do this to shrink your liver and the bonus is you will loose weight and be on your way to the new you.

Use this site for support, to cry, complain, willpower, encouragement or anything you need. That is what it is here for and why the rest of us are here.

TMI ALERT:

A few times on my pre-op when I could not stand it anymore I would take a bite of something and chew it up and spit it into the garbage. It helped me. I m not sure that is for everyone but it worked for me.

Please know, we are here for you and been where you are right now. You CAN and WILL succeed.

Good luck to you,

Colleen

Thanks, Colleen. I appreciate the tip which I mostly like do. The sad thing is that I am in a weight loss study and will have to do it again mostly likely. I am having to do this to get approval for the surgery.

I started my pre-op on Wednesday as well, and the headaches are INSANE. Also ... no one warned me about the changes in my bowels. I expected loose stools since I'm on liquid for everything except dinner. What I DIDN'T expect was the fact that when you have to go ... it's GO NOW and not after you finish whatever task you are working on like normal. Also ... depending on what shakes you are on (my doc prescribed the New Direction weight control system) ... the odor is ...well .. think baby diapers where the baby is on soy formula.

Yes ... this is TMI, but SOMEONE needs to say it. Be prepared. Stay near a toilet, or know where all of the toilets are when you go out. It'll hit on Day 3 if what I'm experiencing and if my friend's experience is anything close to the norm.

Cherie, thanks for the heads up. Think I am already experiencing it some. I am on Health One shakes and they aren't too bad. My husband just keeps telling me it is worth it. So gonna suck it buttercup even though my head is freaking pounding right now.

What is required of you for the study? Is this while working with the surgeon or on your own? Is this just to qualify, and how long? If you feel up to it explain.

Colleen

Colleen, we are on the pre-op diet prescribed by our surgeons. Meaning that 2 weeks from the day we tarted the diet, we are going into the OR for our surgery. From what I see on your profile, you've been through this yourself?

Yes, I was banded on June 20th with a 2 week pre-op diet along with my hubby.

I felt terrible the first week on my diet. I was on the medifast Soups. The reason you feel bad is the sudden drop in carbs and calories. It's sort of like your going through withdraw. I actually substituted one of my soups for a Premier Protein shake. It has 30 grams Protein. 5grams of carbs, and 1 gram of sugar. And they taste pretty good. Those kept me from feeling so nauseous. Maybe email your nutritionist and ask if that is ok or if there's some other substitution you can make. I lost 15 pounds in 14 days on my diet. It does get easier. Just take Tylenol and stay away from food commercials lol

Cherie, thanks for the heads up. Think I am already experiencing it some. I am on Health One shakes and they aren't too bad. My husband just keeps telling me it is worth it. So gonna suck it buttercup even though my head is freaking pounding right now.

Sorry I actually had to lol my brother taught my 3yr old son suck it up buttercup lol. But anyhow yes it is insane. I haven't had the number 2 issue yet thank God, but I know it's coming soon. And my husband told me the same thing. I am on powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury shakes 5x a day. With a 1/2 scoop Protein in it. I can have sf Jello and sf Popsicles and I totally had the Jello yesterday.

My preop diet is what is prescribed from the surgeon before my surgery

The study is for state of Louisiana employees or their families who have a certain insurance that doesn't normally do weight loss surgery. It was like a lottery were you put your name in and 500 people will get surgery over 5 years. They also offered a strictly liquid diet component I wasn't interested in. You get the call you been selected. You go down and go through a ton of screening. If everything is find, you start the two week liquid diet where you must have lost four pounds or you are kicked out. On the last day of the fast, you go back for more screening. If everything is fine there, your file will go before a board who decides yes or no on surgery. Also what type with 75% of the participants getting the lap band and 25% sleeve/bypass. There are also only four surgeons approved to do the surgeries. I think that is pretty much it. They cover the entire surgery with me paying travel costs. So please ask questions if something I said doesn't make sense. I feel like I am dying right now.

<p>What is required of you for the study? Is this while working with the surgeon or on your own? Is this just to qualify, and how long? If you feel up to it explain.</p> <p> </p> <p>Colleen</p>

Sorry I started this reply in my other post. It all depends on your insurance as to what's required of you. The preop diet is what is prescribed to you from your medical team esp from your surgeon. You have to do the preop because they want the liver to shrink because it sits right on top of your stomach so less is better bc they have to move it out of the way. I hope this helps

<p>What is required of you for the study? Is this while working with the surgeon or on your own? Is this just to qualify, and how long? If you feel up to it explain.</p> <p> </p> <p>Colleen</p>

AHHHHH I always remember stuff after the fact.........

Also, I've noticed that everyone's preop diet can be different. It all depends on your surgeon. But some diets on here can have green veggies while like mine and more can only have shakes with some others. Only follow what your surgeon tells you to do. That way you don't mess your self up.

I truly hope this helps.