Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Different Doctors, Different Rules...pre and post op...

I've read a lot about different doctors requiring different things for the pre-op diet, some Clear liquids for 2 weeks, a month, one meal, no meal...all different, however, I haven't heRd much about post op. What does your post op diet consist of. I would like to see how different it us as well. My doctor has me on a 2nd week liquid diet, 3rd week soft food, 4thweek soft food and introduce myself to soft meats(ex.fish), 5th week and beyond....enjoy my new small tummy!

How about you? Is there anyone out there different than mine? Are just about the same? Are you hungry? Easier pre or post?

My doctor wants the following post-op

week 0-3 High Protein liquids

week 4-6 Full liquids and increase to pureed textures as able.

week 6-8 Semi-solid, moist mushy foods.

week 8 time to transition to a regular textured diet.

9week and beyond: enjoy

each phase has a long list of do's and don'ts and sample menus. This was given to me by my NUT

My doc wants:

Week 1: Clear Liquids

Week 2: Full liquids

Week 3 & 4: Soft/pureed food

Week 5: Semi solid food such as lunch meats, tofu, etc.

Week 6: Slowly add in more solid food such as lettuce, toasted bread, brown rice, etc.

Beyond week 5 & 6 they want me to add in new foods slowly but start getting back to a healthy eating style which is low on carbs and high on Protein. It will take time to see what you can tolerate, lots of trial and error.

Good luck!

My post-op plan was on the fast track. I could have full liquids as soon as I got home. At 1 1/2 weeks I was allowed pureed foods. At 2 1/2 weeks I went on to soft foods, and at 3 1/2 weeks I was allowed to dabble in whole cooked foods, but small bites chewed rediculously well. On the way home from that appointment I stopped at Wendy's and got some chili. I ate about four bites chewed well, and thought I was in grocery heaven.

And my surgeon (Dr. Bipan Chand) is not a crazy man. He developed the bariatric program for the Cleveland Clinic and is now at Loyola University Medical Center where he teaches bariatric and robotic surgery. Miss Tummy gave me no grief with eating and my experience with his team and Loyola Hospital has been a.maz.ing.

My diet was:

4 weeks full liquids

4 weeks purees - high Protein foods ONLY

4 months soft foods - you have to be able to cut it with a fork. And no grains, no starchy vegetables, no sweets.

My post-op plan was on the fast track. I could have full liquids as soon as I got home. At 1 1/2 weeks I was allowed pureed foods. At 2 1/2 weeks I went on to soft foods, and at 3 1/2 weeks I was allowed to dabble in whole cooked foods, but small bites chewed rediculously well. On the way home from that appointment I stopped at Wendy's and got some chili. I ate about four bites chewed well, and thought I was in grocery heaven.

And my surgeon (Dr. Bipan Chand) is not a crazy man. He developed the bariatric program for the Cleveland Clinic and is now at Loyola University Medical Center where he teaches bariatric and robotic surgery. Miss Tummy gave me no grief with eating and my experience with his team and Loyola Hospital has been a.maz.ing.

What was your first mushy meal? How did your tummy act? How much did you eat and did it fill you up?

Day 0-3 clear liquids, day 4-14 anything that would go through a straw as long as it didnt have small seeds and yougurt, day 15 to 30 squisky food. Basically anything that could be smashed with fork. At day 30 it was back to normal food minus high cal drinks and most carbos. The first 30 days my doc was not worried about calories or Protein, but stressed Water.

Week 1-2 - clear liquids (no protein)

Week 3-4 - full liquids (slowly)

Week 5-6 - puree foods (slowly)

Week 7 - regular food (slowly)

I also have to have at least 2 litres of approved liquids/day (Protein shakes count, as does Water, Decaf tea, broth etc.)

different doctors requiring different things

@@fccm04

i wish there was one book that allllll dr's/nuts would follow

i think that would make life easier

don't understand why one dr could/would keep someone on clear liquids

other doc would tell you to eat a whole cheese pizza!!!(LOL :lol: )

my doc only allows 1/2 a pizza on the second day :lol:

ie my nut:::

1 week liquids

1 week full liquids

NO "mush"/pureed' phase (woo hoo)

2 weeks soft

gradually onto solids

my doc told me to wait 45 minutes to drink after i eat

other docs say one hour

some docs don't want you to have any regular coffee for 6 weeks or more (or not at all :o )

decaf might be ok later

my doc told me at 3 months i could have regular coffee :)

do whatever YOUR nut tells you :)

good luck :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I've read a lot about different doctors requiring different things for the pre-op diet, some clear liquids for 2 weeks, a month, one meal, no meal...all different, however, I haven't heRd much about post op. What does your post op diet consist of. I would like to see how different it us as well. My doctor has me on a 2nd week liquid diet, 3rd week soft food, 4thweek soft food and introduce myself to soft meats(ex.fish), 5th week and beyond....enjoy my new small tummy!

How about you? Is there anyone out there different than mine? Are just about the same? Are you hungry? Easier pre or post?

LOL - I was just quizzed on this today.

First two days - clear liquids only, as tolerated (Water, basically)

Week one and week two - Protein liquids (Protein shakes, milk, etc.)

Week three and four - Blenderized or pureed foods (hummus, cottage cheese, etc.)

Week four and five - Soft foods (whole-grain pastas, mashed legumes - like pinto Beans, etc.)

Week six and beyond - "regular" foods (so, everything else that your stomach can tolerate, as it is able to)

Edited by HaddocksEyes

I was instructed to be on purees as soon as I got home from the hospital (she said he could do liquids for one or two more days if needed, but I was eager to try food). And then I was only on them for a little over a week before I was progressed to soft solids. Purees are the worst. Anyhow, after that I was on soft solids for a good month then progressed back to normal diet mid last month.

To fccm04, my first mushie meal was homemade tender pot roast mashed really well and wet but not soupy, no big pieces, no corn or peas (because of the hulls).....just soft roast beef, carrots, potatoes. The Wendy's chili that I mentioned on regular foods was my first spicey food, too.

3 days of Clear Liquids followed by 5 weeks of full liquids. This included SF/FF pudding and Light strained cream Soup (highlight of my day!).

After that, slowly introduce the "normal" bariatric diet as I felt comfortable.

My first meal after the full liquids was an oz. of Tilapia. As I walked in the door after work (my husband was cooking), he played the song "Food Glorious Food" from Oliver!

Day 0-3 clear liquids, day 4-14 anything that would go through a straw as long as it didnt have small seeds and yougurt, day 15 to 30 squisky food. Basically anything that could be smashed with fork. At day 30 it was back to normal food minus high cal drinks and most carbos. The first 30 days my doc was not worried about calories or Protein, but stressed Water.< /p>

Sounds like my post op diet with Kaiser.