Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Willing to mentor

I am very interested in support. I had my surgery on March 10, 2009. I lost 134 pounds. Then something snapped in me. Now I have gained back almost 60 pounds. I can't figure out how to get started again. I look at the information but it seems to be Greek. I think I would need too much babying. BUT would LOVE help, support, I'm not sure exactly what it is I need. There are mental issues involved. I don't know where to begin. I think my pouch must be broken. Thank you for at least listening.

I am sure your pouch is fine. Have you thought about seeing a therapist as to why you are eating? Do you eat Protein? If you have specific questions, I can answer them. I would start by eliminating all carbs from your diet. Start having Protein Shakes again. What did your dietician recommend when you went for counseling? I was told to have 80 grams of Liquid Protein a day. Stay away from Protein Bars. They are usually loaded with junk. I like Bariatric Advantage ready to drink coffee protein shakes. They are 20 grams of protein and are about 120 calories. Another great shake that I like is a powder protein -- Isopure naturals. I hope this little bit helps. Continue to send questions.

I was going to a counselor for a while but we can't afford it right now. I think I know why more than not. I let people turn on a switch in me that said I was doing something wrong by losing the weight. How dumb is that. Now all I can see is how much of a failure I am. I was thinking about doing the 5 day pouch test. Then going back to eating mostly Protein shakes to get a start.

I have some problems with my memory and my mind. Not sure if it is just the anxiety disorder I have. But looking at the menu or recommendations for eating this far from surgery just jangles up my brain. I was so successful to begin with. Now I just feel like I'm flapping in the wind. I have contacted my doctor's office. They have said that they will let me have some sort of office visit. But I have to call them to find out how much it will cost. I've decided to start going to all the support meetings they have. Hoping that will help me get my head back into it. It was so easy for me to give up everything. I don't really care now about most of it but I eat it anyway. How dumb is that?

Menu samples, ideas. Going to have to start somewhere really soon.

Thank you for contacting me.

One thing you must do is get rid of people who sabotage you. I had to do that myself, it wasn't easy. I would definitely do a pouch test. But I can tell you that support is key to success. I went for the first 4 years after my surgery. We all have issues that we need to overcome. When you are ready to face them you will feel better about yourself and be able to focus and concentrate. I had memory issues as well. I suggest that you start looking at yourself in a more positive light. I know it is hard, believe me I have been there. My therapist had me make a list everyday five things in my life that I was grateful for. I know it sounds silly, but it is a good strategy. If you can read the book Codependent No More, that will help too. We all eat for a reason or use food to self sooth. Do you exercise? Sometimes that helps with self esteem.

Steps for you to start:

1. Stop beating yourself up.

2. Make a list of things that are positive in your life.

3. Start with a baby step, add a Protein drink in and remove one thing that derails you.

4. Go to support group.

5. Talk to your primary doctor about your memory. They may have suggestions or medications that can help you focus.

6. Don't give up. You are worth the work.

I'm hoping to do that more completely very soon. I am thinking about going to the support meeting. I think it is next Tuesday. I had been in touch with my surgeon's office. I had been thinking about making an appointment to get myself pointed in the right direction. I have to go out of state to take care of family business. But I was thinking really seriously about seeing if I could get an appointment for before I leave on my trip. I thought it might be helpful because I am going to be with my mom for an extended period of time more. She is really bad for me. I react to her and I shouldn't. She is diabetic. Should not eat sweets, right? But she eats them all the time. Then she like to talk to me about what I eat. If I eat properly then she keeps asking if I would like some kind of junk food. If I eat sweets then she tells me how bad I am. If I don't eat it she tells me that I'm making her look bad and that I'm being judgmental of her. I'm not. I would just like to not eat the sugar that makes me feel terrible and make my heart race. Makes it so I can't breath.

So I thought if I started over right before this trip maybe it would help me to stay with the right thing while I'm away from home. I'm trying to get her to stay here for the month of August so that I can get in my pool and walk around every day. For the last month I've been getting in my pool and walking for an hour or more. But at least an hour.

Thank you for your points. I will try very hard to be positive. When I knew I was having this done, I was positive. I knew I would be able to do it. I would be successful. Now I can't even figure out where to go. I want to lose 100 more pounds. That's 10 more pounds than my original goal.

My problem is I'm afraid the doctor won't think I'm worth the time and effort. It didn't seem like after a while that I was to him.

Sorry!

Thanks for the information. For the encouragement and the tips. I will strive for positive today.

You have to take baby steps. Rome wasn't built in a day. It takes time. According to research it takes at least 22 days to form a habit, yet one day to wreck it. Make sure when you go to your mom's place you stock up with the supplies you need to be successful. You have to talk away from any negativity.stand up for yourself because no one else will. It has taken me a long time to do this. I I walk away or send them away. Many times I have told my mother to leave it have taken her home.

It has taken me years to walk away from a hurtful person, including family, however some twins they hurt us the worst.

Are you staying up really late or do you just wake up for a little? I find they when I don't have a set time for bed I tend to look for food. Try putting yourself on a time schedule.

I am very interested in support. I had my surgery on March 10, 2009. I lost 134 pounds. Then something snapped in me. Now I have gained back almost 60 pounds. I can't figure out how to get started again. I look at the information but it seems to be Greek. I think I would need too much babying. BUT would LOVE help, support, I'm not sure exactly what it is I need. There are mental issues involved. I don't know where to begin. I think my pouch must be broken. Thank you for at least listening.

I had my RNY in Ohio two weeks ago, and I'm having some setbacks. Had to be hospitalized only one day after discharge. I had to have two stents inserted and am supposed to keep in as long as I can tolerate. It is difficult when I'm constantly nauseated. Also, have a home health nurse as I am on daily TPN. Would love to have a mentor/buddy!

So happy you offered to be a mentor. The amount of weight you have lost is what I will need to lose to reach my goal. I had RNY October 15, 2013. I lost 115 lbs by 5/1/14 and then stablized. I had binge eating disorder before surgery and spent 7 months in therapy for it.

My issue is I need to exercise more and return to eating the way that helped me to lose weight so I can drop the other 65 pounds. I am fighting head games. First, I told myself I was very pleased with the weight I had lost and needed a break from the relentless calorie restriction. I have to eat around 1,000 calories per day to lose weight now. Then, I craved more and more carbs. Now, in the past three weeks, I am starting to binge eat by eating something too often, not a lot all at one time. I am in trouble.

I don't want to return to my binge eating therapist because she never was a good fit for me. Too soft. I need some hard love. I'm thinking of seeking out an addiction therapist.

What I would like from you is to know what you eat during a regular day. Thanks.

I could use a mentor. I'm scheduled for surgery on September 11th

Mentee I'm 5 weeks post up and I struggle with getting my 2 shakes a day in, my meds, and my Vitamins. I can't guzzle Water to get my pills down and sometimes the crushed pill s make me nauseous. I'm scared I'm doing it all wrong.

I could use a mentor as well. I am 4 1/2 months out and I am doing well. For the last 2 weeks I haven't lost a pound. I go up 1lb then down 1lb, then back up again. I still weigh 150lbs. I can't seem to get the scale to move.

So happy you offered to be a mentor. The amount of weight you have lost is what I will need to lose to reach my goal. I had RNY October 15, 2013. I lost 115 lbs by 5/1/14 and then stablized. I had binge eating disorder before surgery and spent 7 months in therapy for it.

My issue is I need to exercise more and return to eating the way that helped me to lose weight so I can drop the other 65 pounds. I am fighting head games. First, I told myself I was very pleased with the weight I had lost and needed a break from the relentless calorie restriction. I have to eat around 1,000 calories per day to lose weight now. Then, I craved more and more carbs. Now, in the past three weeks, I am starting to binge eat by eating something too often, not a lot all at one time. I am in trouble.

I don't want to return to my binge eating therapist because she never was a good fit for me. Too soft. I need some hard love. I'm thinking of seeking out an addiction therapist.

What I would like from you is to know what you eat during a regular day. Thanks.

I would say you might benefit from going to see a counselor, talk about your binge eatting. It sounds like something in your life may have triggered you to start eating like that again. If not a counselor some Bariatric support meetings should help you with things to get you back on track, I know those are free at our center.

Hi I am 4 months post opt and I have 88 pounds to go before I reach my idea goal I exercise 5 days a week , is there anything I can do for stalls, I consume 800-900 calories per day . I appreciate your help as well as offer to be a mentor. Thank you.