Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who really followed the post-op diet?

I will admit I got really bored the first couple of weeks I was home. Baby food is bland and gross. I don't want to puree anything! No, I cannot look at one more bowl of Soup. But I pulled up my big girl panties and did it. I was never so happy to go on soft solids because that really opens up your choices. You can do lunch meats! LOL. But I didn't want to get any seeds stuck in my staples or rip them out trying something not on the approved list.

For me, the preop diet was one of the hardest things about this whole process. I was STARVING, even though I was allowed to eat high quantity of low carb food. I was emotionally STARVING since I wanted carby food to comfort me since i was scared to death of surgery. I was a bit of a wreck to be honest. I did however follow my eating plans, both pre and post op to a "T". I guess fear can be a good motivator at times. :(

Here is my encouraging words, years later when you look back, this will be the first of many successes toward your journey of a healthier you.

For me, complete compliance was part of the process of turning over my feelings to "believing" in what was possible if I followed a proven, tried and true path. As a professional dieter, I could count calories and weight watchers points with the best of em but I never found sustained success. I had a certain arrogance I think even. It was important to let go of many false beliefs - l had bought into the starvation mode myth etc.

They say the pre-op diet is important to the fact is shrinks your liver which makes getting to your stomach so much easier.. It makes the whole surgery safer.. Post op diet is important so you don't get dehydrated and do damage to your baby stomach which still has stitches in it..

Good Luck to New Happier Healthier Happier You

Followed it to a T. 16 days of 3 Protein drinks/day plus leafy green veggies. A VERY small sacrifice to make for all the rewards that this surgery brings. BTW, followed the postop diet religiously, too. I felt it was my responsibility to treat my body the best I could to allow for proper healing and minimize any chance of complications. With my eye on the big picture, the pre and post op restrictions were easy.

PreOp, I did not have a special diet. I was on a six month managed program I had been dieting along the way. I just had to do liquids only the day before surgery.

PostOp, I had been amazingly compliant with instructions from the NUT. This include six weeks of liquid diet due to a complication that put me in the hospital for a couple weeks, two weeks after surgery.

If you think about this logically, why would you not follow directions from experts who have done this hundreds or thousands of times? Getting a new lease on life is amazing. make the most of it!

I'm following the post op diet. This is a very drastic step I've taken to get healthy. I tried to push the limit Saturday by eating a little crabmeat but was so afraid I'd have something terrible happen and have to go back into surgery, that was the end of it. I'm two weeks out and my surgeon told me to follow two weeks of pureed foods....I've had no issues, until today, I tried to eat something too quickly, and I got that "stuck" feeling....learning very quickly.

Both pre-op and post-op were tough for different reasons, but I stuck to them. I was hungry during pre-op, but wanted to chew during post-op. My Dr. kept me on a liquid diet for 5.5 weeks after surgery. I didn't want complications, so I followed it to the letter. It's only for a defined time. To me it is harder to deal with managing my intake for the long run.

You know... im 160 pounds overwieght because I haven't followed logic. Didnt get here by making logical choices. So to say why would you...? Well because im an addict thats why. All anyone can do, is do their best. I havent been perfect preop but am down 15 pounds or so in a week with a couple days to go.

I followed about a week before surgery lost 6 lbs should follow diet tho due to weight loss will shrink liver for a smooth surgery Although it was hard after about 3 days your body gets used to it and if i were to eat something heavier I could take a few bites and be full

Having gastric surgery is a second chance. It can't make up for all the bad decisions we've made along the way but it is a way to start making the decisions we should have made to help ourselves. We have a window of time to loose as much weight as possible and maximize the effectiveness of the surgery. that begins pre op and continues post op.

Based on what I've read, seen and heard on this forum and from my program, the majority of individuals that add weight down the road are not following the program laid out for them. I am only seven months out from surgery. The hardest part of this entire time has been mental and having the discipline to stay the course. I am not saying you can't stray. Everyone will. The key is to understanding why, and get back on the program as soon as possible.

I'm having my surgery on Wednesday. I have stayed faithful to the pre-op diet because like someone said in a previous post, it is set in place for a reason. One thing I have found helpful is drinking a Protein Shake as soon as I feel the slightest sensation of hunger. Besides, the 10 ponds I have lost on the pre-op diet motivate me to stay on it.

I am 1 week post surgery and am afraid not to follow it 100%! :o

I am 1 week post surgery and am afraid not to follow it 100%! :o