Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who really followed the post-op diet?

Honest who really followed the pre-op diet? I go for my surgery on the 21st.. I have been following it but it is hard and I feel drained. I am all in but I was just wondering..

Edited by dawnnae123

My surgery is tomorrow but there are plenty of people that have followed 100% at least according to their posts. Now pre-op is all over the place.

I am and everyone should. It's dangerous not to. Its there for a reason.Plus, its about making changes. If you can't handle a few weeks or months of a post-surgery diet how in the world can you make long term changes?

i have followed mine almost to the t. not perfectly, and I did advance flaked fish a few days before i was scheduled to, BUT i called my nut first and talked about it with her.

you will find that post op the physical hunger just isn't there any more. i'm 3 wks out yesterday, and i am starting to enjoy the idea of eating again, but likely because i've been able to cook things the past few days that i can actually have.

however, the physical hunger is pretty much still gone.

when i was pre-op i couldn't stop thinking about when i'd be far enough post op to add my favorites back in. now that has pretty much passed. i'm still looking foward to some nacho 'innards' though!

the point of the post op phases is to let your severely swollen, inflamed stomach tissue get reintroduced to food in it's various forms and not let whole foods pass through until it is completely healed. advancing your diet too quickly can put you at risk for leaks and blowing your staple line.

I did - I was scared not to. I made a commitment to be "all in" and that meant following the plan. You could hurt your sleeve if you don't. There are reasons why your doctor give it to you - allow your stomach to heal. You just wen thru major surgery.

I did. I'm not sure why this is even a question, but it comes up from time to time. This isn't a joke. I wouldn't give a newborn anything other than breast milk or formula; I viewed my stomach as a newborn and only gave it what it was "allowed" to have.

Of course I followed my post op diet to a 't'. Why would I mutilate my body then do something stupid to jeopardize my success or even my life!

Honest who really followed the post-op diet? I go for my surgery on the 21st.. I have been following it but it is hard and I feel drained. I am all in but I was just wondering..

Do you mean pre op?

Dawnnae123, I did not have a pre-op diet. Today is technically my pre-op diet day. Light Breakfast, Soup for lunch and Clear Liquids the rest of the day. My doctor does not do any other pre-op diets. Thankfully!

Oh, you edited your post, you meant Pre-Op not post op. I would say do your best during pre-op and post-op follow 100%. Some will get on you for not being 100% pre-op but some have a full 30 days of liquids and I for one would have a super hard time doing that before any restriction. I do not think that is a bad thing if you are just doing your best.

Followed it to the T. No use messing with such a big surgery! The post-op diet is designed to help aid the healing among other things.

Besides a twin snack bite here and there, I did. Lol....

I spent to much time and money and risked surgery to not follow the Docs instructions. The first couple of weeks weren't the best but tolerable. Once you get on squishy food it starts getting better. Then comes real food minus all the things things you use to enjoy. This is a life time commentment

I not only followed it to the letter once but twice. My first surgery was cancelled. And emergency I heard...So when I was rescheduled I drank these disgusting shakes for another 2 weeks..

I first 4 days were killers, but after that....it felt a little better.

No one said it was easy. And it is for a purpose. To shrink your liver so that the clap can hold it easier. There was a time when someone had to hold it up by hand. But now as things progress and everything does. There is a clamp. It holds the liver up and out of the way so that they can get to your stomach beneath easier...

To me it was worth it. got me ready for the journey that came after!