Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I am scheduled to have my gastric sleeve on July 25. Now I know that having the gastric sleeve surgery, will change my life. But there are a couple things that I am really worried about. I suffer from chronic Migraines. I worry that the liquid diet will cause my migraines to go haywire. I worry that I will not be able to take the medications that I must take when I have severe migraines. I take Vicodin or Percocet. Can I still take them during the pre-op liquid diet? I also take Excedrin Migraine and I know that I cannot take that. I am okay with that but I absolutely must take my Percocet. These are not headaches, these are severe migraines.

I have been looking at a product called Zija and I am really torn between doing that and doing the bariatric surgery. Has anyone tried Zija? I would not be interested in doing Zija for marketing. I only want to know if the product actually work? I have a friend of mine who claims that he lost 125 pounds on the product. But I'm curious if anyone here has tried the product

They give vicodin/percocet for post op so I don't think it would be banned for preop. Ask your surgeon to be sure.

Have you tried maxalt or imatrex for your migrains? I take that for mine and it helps.

Imitrex did nothing for my Migraine. I have found that oxycodone or Percocet seems to help. Now, I take Excedrin Migraine every single day. I know that I cannot take that during pre-op or after surgery for a long time. Percocet does seem to help with Migraines.

I guess I was just in extreme panic mode because the liquid diet is hard enough, and then to put chronic migraines on top of that without being able to take medication is just impossible. So I will speak to my surgeon tomorrow

Imitrex did nothing for my Migraine. I have found that oxycodone or Percocet seems to help. Now, I take Excedrin Migraine every single day. I know that I cannot take that during pre-op or after surgery for a long time. Percocet does seem to help with Migraines.< /p>

I guess I was just in extreme panic mode because the liquid diet is hard enough, and then to put chronic migraines on top of that without being able to take medication is just impossible. So I will speak to my surgeon tomorrow

Since you won't be able to take excedrin migraine meds daily any more ask your pcp about a prescription daily preventive medication. I know there are a few options like topiramate. It didn't work for me but it may work for you. There are some other things as well. Good luck!

You may be like me and very seldom have a Migraine again. for several years I had constant severe Migraines. I went to an Osteopath for help 3 times a week. I have only had 4 since my surgery almost 2 years ago.

Please work these things out with your surgeon before you go for surgery. I know that some still take strong meds for certain reasons and it is okay. Others only Tylenol.

Here's hoping that your constant pain will be gone like mine is! :)

So after the surgery, I'll never be able to take excedrin Migraine again?

Oh so sorry, I see how that came out wrong. You said you couldn't take excedrin migraine, I meant because of that you should try a different long term med so you don't have to suffer.

I also am a chronic Migraine sufferer. I am nearly 5 months post op and have noticed a decrease in my Migraines. My surgeon wants me to avoid Excedrin migraine as well although I have taken it twice. I also have had no luck with imitrex or maxalt, however my pcp gave me a prescription for fioricet which has helped. It is part barbituate, acetaminophen and caffeine. I am sure the caffeine is not ideal...but I am willing to take it because it is working. I had the same fears young into surgery but luckily things are working out with other options.

I used to have Migraines and so did my brother. This is probably going to sound weird but since we both went on anti-depressants, they have disappeared. He and I will be on them the rest of our lives as ours is severe and chronic and can only be controlled with meds. Maybe it's just our genetics but we no longer have to experience those horrible migraines. I hope those on here who do have them can find some relief.

Bishop,

Most of all of this stuff will go away after you have surgery. Trust and believe God, talk with your doctor and your surgeon before having surgery, many of those aspirin you are not suppose to take. The headaches probably come from high blood pressure which will propabably go away when you start to loose weight. Just think in 3 months from July 25th you will feel like a Butterfly. You will have lost 40-50 lbs. and feel like flying.

Get advice about taking any of those medications. The one thing I heard in a still small voice, you will get through this and the foods you thought you could not live without will still be there 2, 3, 4 weeks later, but your body might not even want then ever again. I never thought I would not want or like spaghetti again, or rice, or any type of chicken. I eat fish and red meat, and just about anything except I do not drink soda's anymore, I crave but don't eat it. Fill up on Water, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broths, gaterade first two weeks and watch how you feel. Think of it as a 2 week fast after surgery, although the first week I ate scrambled eggs with lots of cheese. It was so good. OMG. depends on what your body can tolerate.

I love food, but the sleeve will not allow you to do to much and remember do not eat and drink at the same time. Either drink and wait 30 minutes and then eat,

All Th Best

I guess you need to discuss this with your anesthesiologist as well because in some cases anesthesia can trigger Migraine. They'll then give you anti migraine medication through IV.

I have Migraines. I have been on Maxalt, Tylenol with Codeine and antacids when I get an attack. To be fair, the Maxalt melts make me feel 'mongey', if that makes any sense? But if I take the other stuff with it, I get through.

Strangely though and since I have given up a large proportion of the processed carbs I used to eat? I don't get them as much.

I have perhaps had 4 whoppers in 10 months and if I'm honest, that has either been due to excess stress (and I have had a fair amount) or I have drunk a little too much and then two days later.. BOOM! That's very good for me.

I would ask your doctor for alternatives. I would also (just a thought), try to get off those Percocet and Vicodin. They're addictive and no good for you long term.

Do the preliminary research and get advice from your doctor.. But you may well, as RJ said, be surprised how your migraines abate once you've had the surgery.

Best of luck! :)