Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wish I had known...

So, I am a little over two weeks out from my surgery dated July 29th. I've discovered and documented a wealth of information. This board has become my best friend my "google" if you will. So there are some things that are pretty standard like initial pain, swelling, diets, etc. I would love to know what is something you wish you had know before you started your journey. I know it's kind of corny but for the newbies here these nuggets of wisdom are valuable. Thanks in advance.

Hi blacktxbelle,

you and I have the same doctor! My surgery is August 4th. I come to this site every day reading everything I can about my upcoming LapBand. This site has been such a help to let me know what life will be like once I get to the other side.

Wish I would have been made aware of Bandster Hell and that I might not start losing for 4 months.

I have to agree with 2muchfun, I thought the weight was going to just come off. From May to June I only lost 1 pound. But it is ok. Just remember to follow your doctors instructions, and do not be afraid to call your doctors office.

I think it's important to fully understand that this process is more than just the surgery. Pre-op, surgery, and post-op are such a small part of the journey. Today is my 2 year anniversary and I am reminded of my band not only at every meal but throughout the day too.

For starters, the band is much tighter in the morning. There are some mornings that are worse than others but when your favorite meal is Breakfast it gets annoying. Oh, and goodbye eggs (for me anyway). If I can mix them with something I can get them down sometimes but for the most part, eggs don't stay down for me. And for the record, eggs aren't fun the second time.

You will be noisy. My husband calls me his baby bear. When I eat, when I drink, and sometimes just because, I make noises. It's fine around my hubby but it does make it uncomfortable when I am with others who don't know about the surgery. I haven't told anyone about the surgery except my hubby and my mom. So I play it off as funny noises with everyone else.

You will eat slower than you ever thought. If you are the chef of the household, you may want to prepare your plate first and start while you are still cooking everyone elses. Eating out is a challenge because others are done and you've got only a few bites down. Again, it's not that big of a deal but people will inevitibly make comments so be prepared. Countless waiters have asked me repeatedly if my meal was ok because most of it is left when we leave. Learn to love leftovers :)

This will be difficult. This is a not a dream. You won't wake up feeling better. You won't wake up skinny. You wake up every day with a reminder that you were fat once and you don't ever want to be that weight again. You know you. You know why you chose surgery. This is a commitment - a commitment you can't break. It's easy to plan to eat healthy. It's easy to plan to go to the gym. It's easy to say you want to lose weight. Committing to doing those things is easy - following through is the hard part. The band helps you with that. The band reminds you to change your life and when you slip into old habits it makes you pay for it.

This is a great forum. There are lots of people in the same situation as you. I've used it when something happens and I want to see if it happens to anyone else. For me, it was shoulder pain. After surgery you will have gas - not the farting kind but the bloat your entire body with gas so they can move your organs around kind. I felt this pain in my shoulder. Walk. Walk. Walk. Still today, if I eat too much, or eat too quickly, I sometimes get the same shoulder pain. It's not fun - at all.

Anywho... good luck with your journey. You are not alone. You're not the first and won't be the last. This is common. You got this!

Congratulations on getting your date and on all that is to come! I thought it would be harder than it is -- perhaps because I worked so hard (to no avail) to lose weight for so many years. Diet after diet. You know the drill. I was willing to work very hard and thought I would be doing that with the band. I am pleasantly surprised that this is a very happy and easy lifestyle for me. I am not on a diet. I am satisfied with small meals at the right intervals. I don't feel deprived -- I feel happy and satisfied. This seems like some kind of miracle after all the years of fighting my appetite. The band has to be at the right adjustment for this to happen, of course, and that takes time. I had never been an overnight patient in a hospital before (and I'm 52) and the surgery was so much easier than I thought it would be. I went to all of my follow-up appointments and was also surprised at how easy that was. I was glad to touch base with my doctor even if I didn't need a fill at that particular visit. I recommend a good sense of humor. In getting a band I was giving myself a gift and choosing myself first. I have been excited throughout this process of reclaiming my old body and getting healthy again. It's a wonderful thing.

I think it's important to fully understand that this process is more than just the surgery. Pre-op, surgery, and post-op are such a small part of the journey. Today is my 2 year anniversary and I am reminded of my band not only at every meal but throughout the day too.

Angela, you should copy and past this to a note to keep on your desktop. No harm in using it again. It's good enough to repeat over and over for newcomers and there are dozens of newcomers every week. Great post!

14 days to go on the dot. I successfully started my pre-op diet tonight at 12:00 am. Here we go. I was wonder are there any more things you all wish you had know before going off to surgery?

1. Was there something you discovered that helped you deal with pain?

2. Something effective when relearning how to eat correctly?

3. Something you just found interesting?

4. Were there any products you think the world of?

5. Emotions you didn't expect to have

6. ect.

Everyone is different in the band. I have a regular allergen band not a green zone or anything. I stick to my diet plans. No sugar no soda and no junk food. All good fresh juice from my juicer and fresh mushies and food. No cheating even if your hungry. Lots of protien and I don't count my calories just 40-60 grand if protien a day.

I walk a bunch easy things but I have only 1/2 cup of food I can't eat that much. I feel full and when I'm hungry I eat. No Kate night snacking either.

It's been two weeks and I'm down 38lbs now I have been doing what my BFF did 6 years ago being banded and nothing is wrong with her. She gets fills and barium swallows to follow up and regular X-ray checks and she's fine keeping the weight off.

You are what you put into your mouth and chew and take your time. Because it's your time to keep the weight off.

Everyone is different I haven't had any fills and I won't until I stop loosing the weight.

My doctor said when your hungry eat but only eat 1/2 cup and then eat few hours more so in not stuffing my stomach expanding it more and more. Plus I feel full anyways. Drink and to sip all day long.

He said when I stop loosing the weight for 3 days straight and I either gain a pound or two and I'm hungry every hour and craving odd foods is when I need a fill. You just know And have to watch your full signals. I wish you the best of luck! I hope your band works as great as mine. I'm happy with it.

Kayleena

One time at a 4 star restaurant, after having Soup and an appetizer, I could not finish, let alone even start my entree....the waiter kept asking if everything was ok with my meal, and I kept assuring him it was fine and I would take it home with me.....

I quess he told the chef, who made me another entree, one of his choosing not on the menu...something he felt that surely I would enjoy....you could imagine my awkwardness when the server put another meal in front of me....

One time at a 4 star restaurant, after having Soup and an appetizer, I could not finish, let alone even start my entree....the waiter kept asking if everything was ok with my meal, and I kept assuring him it was fine and I would take it home with me.....

I quess he told the chef, who made me another entree, one of his choosing not on the menu...something he felt that surely I would enjoy....you could imagine my awkwardness when the server put another meal in front of me....

OMG :lol: :angry:

B-52 I can see where things might have been awkward that day. LOL

B-52, that's hilarious!! X

Hello all. I just thought I would drop in. You guys know I have been trying to get prepared and all. I found a really neat blog by a girl that I can't recall her name and another vlog I like by a lady who calls herself bandedwendy. She mentions being stuck (especially initially when she first got the band) She mentioned a product called papaya enzyme. She says it was very helpful with breaking down many of the foods that might get stuck. Now that doesn't mean get carried away and it will save you but it does help quit a bit from what I have been able to find. To be exact there is a thread from 2011 where other BariatricPal members discussed it. http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/135849-papaya-enzyme/ . Sorry I just have to share it kinda reaffirms things in my little brain.

Alright! The countdown is almost over for me...for surgery that is then we get to move on to the numbers that really matter. I just thought I would take inventory this week and make sure I've got everything I will need at least the first few days. I plan to get up and move around lots. I just don't really think I want to have to go to any too public places. So I've got....

Hydration, everything from Diet Snapple to Water, broth, Soups I plan to drain and drink the broth from, sf popsicles, sf Jello, Protein shakes, Vitamins, my post op prescriptions, a heating pad, chap-stick (I already have the driest lips on the planet no need to let them bust), Tylenol Children's Meltaways since I don't particularly care for hydrocodone and as a gift to myself, I traded in my BodyBugg for a new Jawbone Up so I get to see my progress a little easier and track myself from surgery onward...any thing I am forgetting ladies and gents?