Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear is getting the best of me.

I'm pre surgery and I'm so afraid I won't be able to say no to food after the surgery, and my husband will say I told you so, Don't get my wrong he's a great guy but I really do like food, should I be concerned?? Is there any one out there with the same worries??

I'm a week out of surgery and I have to set the timer on my phone for 15 minute intervals, so I don't forget to eat. Totally different experience for me. I'm use to chewing my toenails, so I won't eat. I'm only a week out, so not an expert at all, but don't worry about the eating. It won't be a dilemma. Your new stomach will give you the big "NO", if you want to overeat.

Thank you Maryannie! So did you eat at every emotion? I get nervous just thinking of giving up food, I eat even when I'm full, where you the same way?? Did you have your surgery in Mexico?

I'm a week out of surgery and I have to set the timer on my phone for 15 minute intervals, so I don't forget to eat. Totally different experience for me. I'm use to chewing my toenails, so I won't eat. I'm only a week out, so not an expert at all, but don't worry about the eating. It won't be a dilemma. Your new stomach will give you the big "NO", if you want to overeat.

:unsure: What do you think of having surgery in Mexico??

Knowing that you have tendency to overeat is a major step. From there you figure out what you want to do about it. Are you going to give in or are you going to take control. I myself, I want to be healthy and I am not going to lie I want to look good and feel good. Are you willing to make yourself miserable to continue overeating? We all know from everything we have read and been told the band is going to let you know when you aren't complying with the program. It's okay to be afraid but don't let that fear move you away from the confidence it took to make such and important decision.

Tear Bear, I just started this journey so I can't speak about the other side. I do have some of the same worries...in fact Monday was my first nutrition session and she asked...so what are your triggers....for me being tired, happy, sad, celebratory, bored...I could go on and on...I don't need a reason to eat! I Just.Like.Food.

For me, I'm using the 3 month supervised diet period to work on my triggers and begin my new relationship with food. I look at surgery as an opportunity to develop a Brand New Relationship with food. It's not lost on me that the diet after surgery is very similar to a baby....liquids, mushies, soft food and then real food.

I can tell you that I was surprised by how freeing having the nutritionist give me specific targets for calories, carbs and Protein...I don't have to wing it anymore!

So, I kinda rambled in this one....I think worries are natural, healthy and will occur all along the way. For me, I'm more worried about having a healthy life with my grandkids and my husband...just sayin ;) You can do it!

This is so normal, we all love food, love to eat, we wouldn't be overweight if we didn't. For me, I am an emotional eater, especially a carb lover. I had my surgery a month ago, and trust me, your relationship with food will change. I have yet to even desire a piece of bread or Pasta or rice, my three most favorite things. I never imagined that this surgery would actually change my taste for things, but it has. Don't get me wrong , you have to work at it . But this tool helps out so much! When you see results, it helps even more to stay track. I'm only a month out so I'm no expert, but for me, I'm doing greater than I expected! You can too, if I can stick to program, anyone can.

I'm a month out, and for the first time in my life, I am actually satisfied with small portions...I mean feeling like I could not eat another bite satisfied. For me this has been an incredible freeing experience. I was worried too, and grieving over food I thought I would miss. I have found cravings extremely diminished since getting the band. I have no desire for the things I used to obsess over. Its really strange and great at the same time. I can focus on other things during the day, where as before...I was always hungry. I am a month out and 25 pounds lighter...I feel great, and have more energy, I actually enjoy working out..this is the first thing I've done for myself that is actually working, and I literally feel the results daily. Trust me, this surgery forces you to say "no" to over indulging once you have had your "fill"..pun intended? lol To me, right now...it feels like a blessing.

i have fears for sure but I don't want to stay huge like I am currently. I am almost always hungry &

can really put it away. I usually eat once a day. I'm looking forward to not being hungry all the time. That will help the cause. I start pre-op diet in the morning! 2 weeks until the surgery! Send good vibes!!!

re: "I'm so afraid I won't be able to say no to food after the surgery,"

and

"I get nervous just thinking of giving up food, I eat even when I'm full,"

and

"for the first time in my life, I am actually satisfied with small portions...I mean feeling like I could not eat another bite satisfied. For me this has been an incredible freeing experience."

I have a few comments.

""I'm so afraid I won't be able to say no to food after the surgery,"
it's not food you'll be saying 'no' to...it's OVER eating!

re:

"

"I get nervous just thinking of giving up food, I eat even when I'm full,""

I was too, due to misunderstanding the entire issue.

You are NOT giving up food. You are giving up OVER eating.

Yes, I too ate even when full.....but along comes a surprise....when you find that the reason you over eat is because, like many of us, you are trying to feed with food something that has nothing to do with 'hunger'. If eating doesn't satisfy, I was eating for other reasons than 'being hungry'.

And I was taught to 'eat till you're FULL'. That is one BIG error in concept. More on this later. Do some reading about "satiety".

'Full' and 'hungry' really have nothing to do with each other. The anxiety I grew up with, was the food would be all gone before I got full.

The Band took away that never-satisfied-gotta-eat-till-FULL concept.

re: "for the first time in my life, I am actually satisfied with small portions...I mean feeling like I could not eat another bite satisfied. For me this has been an incredible freeing experience.""

this is exactly what happened to ME too.

You'll go thru phases.

Learning how to not worry about being not hungry and as a result not over eating, is a whole new habit.

Cheers on your journey.

Tearbear- trust me...the tool does work! When your stomache says your full " you will know - an be satisfied. Some ppl say I eat like a bird. But I get full on smaller portion and don't have the desire to eat more. They are used to me eating massive unhealthy amounts. Not any more. I've lost 85# now and my desire to be a couch potato has now turned to being outdoor and enjoying life!! I like jacks saying, your not giving up food , you just eat less and have the same satisfaction as if you ate the other way. However, it took me 3-4 months for my eyes to trick my plate it was smaller.

I still put too much on my plate, and end up either taking it back to the kitchen for left overs, or feeding the dog...the dog loves my band, btw. lol

Im 2.5 years out (lap band), and I still can eat 95 % of the foods I used to eat.. The difference is I don't WANT to eat the fast foods or most of the carbs because I've lost my taste for them .. If I do have them occasionally, its just a few bites and then im done. I started loosing weight right away, that gave me incentive to stay on track. Trust me, you are NOT going to starve, and you 'll be too busy watching your pants get baggy to worry about eating more than you should. Good luck !

I agree with all the above. I'm a month out from bypass and I never feel hungry. I eat by the clock, trying to get in my Protein (60 g per day) through small "meals" throughout the day. I call them "meals" because it might be the three tablespoons of Better Than eggs that I'm eating scrambled now for Breakfast, or 2-3 ounces of low-fat lunch meat, or a 1/2 cup of turkey fat free chili. It's amazing how little food it takes to make a "meal".

I loved to overeat -- the only head game I feel going on right now that's like what I felt before is this dang cupcake thing -- when I was alone at the house (usually a Saturday afternoon), I'd go to the grocery store and buy a package of 12 of those little miniature butter cream icing cup cakes and eat all of them. Now, every time I was in the grocery store they are right there staring at me (by the front door so I can't avoid them) and my mind says -- Hey... cupcakes! I walk away because I know I don't want to go down that path again and because they'd probably make me sick anyway, but my brain still talks about them. Other than that, I really don't feel any cravings for any of the old foods. bread doesn't sound good, chocolate has no appeal... my tastes haven't changed but I'm not driven by the cravings for those things.

I think the doubts you are having are SO NORMAL! None of us felt in control over our eating or we wouldn't have had surgery. But you see so many successful people here who have gained that control and you can be one of us too!

Best wishes.

I think most if not all of us worried that we would be the one person who couldn't do it, that it wouldn't work, etc., etc. It's very natural to have pre-op jitters. Add to that the pre-op diet and many emotions can come up. I worked with a therapist to help sort out the various triggers. We really broke down the specific behaviors. It was tedious but I'm glad I did that. There are still certain situations that make me turn to food and I have to remind myself, "oh, I don't do that anymore." And I can do that because my appetite has been dimmed and I don't have that monster on my back now. Best wishes to you!