Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need reassurance - 8 mos out and 5 wks pg

Hi all,

I am 8 months out from vsg and just found out I am about 5 weeks pregnant with my first baby. We are thrilled but also shocked. I did not plan to get pregnant this early. I wanted to wait a year as my surgeon recommended but I guess things happen when they happen. I have lost 120 pounds so far but am still about 65 pounds from goal. I am hoping some of you can reassure me that everything will be alright. I am worried that I either won't be able to eat enough to have a healthy pregnancy or that alternatively, I will eat too much and undo all the progress I have made. I am currently feeling really bloated and when I got on the scale this morning I was up about 2 pounds from last week! That really freaked me out because I definietly don't want to be gaining weight this early on. I'm hoping it's just Water weight from being bloated right now. Also I'm worried that since I am still 65 pounds overweight this will somehow have a negative effect on my pregnancy. I feel like I am walking a tightrope and am so confused! Anyone been in this position? Any words of advice?

Don't think that, just because you are pregnant, you have to gain weight. I had gestational diabetes and saw an endocrinologist. Their nutritionist set up a diabetic diet eating plan so that I would lose 2lbs/week (2000 calories). I stuck to it like glue. I figured that, if I messed up, my daughter would die. Nothing I could eat would be worth that! Anyway, I lost 25 lbs. during that pregnancy and 25lbs with the next one, eating very healthy balanced meals. I'm being honest, I was ready to EAT THE TABLE! But it CAN BE DONE. Best of luck.

Hi all, I am 8 months out from vsg and just found out I am about 5 weeks pregnant with my first baby. We are thrilled but also shocked. I did not plan to get pregnant this early. I wanted to wait a year as my surgeon recommended but I guess things happen when they happen. I have lost 120 pounds so far but am still about 65 pounds from goal. I am hoping some of you can reassure me that everything will be alright. I am worried that I either won't be able to eat enough to have a healthy pregnancy or that alternatively, I will eat too much and undo all the progress I have made. I am currently feeling really bloated and when I got on the scale this morning I was up about 2 pounds from last week! That really freaked me out because I definietly don't want to be gaining weight this early on. I'm hoping it's just Water weight from being bloated right now. Also I'm worried that since I am still 65 pounds overweight this will somehow have a negative effect on my pregnancy. I feel like I am walking a tightrope and am so confused! Anyone been in this position? Any words of advice?

Hang in there!!!! I am currently 34 weeks pregnant with baby #3 and I got pregnant only 2 months post op!!! Talk about shock!!! Total oops moment!!! I was completely worried about ruining everything I had worked for and was freaked out that the surgery was pointless! I have lost a total of 111 pounds ( 50+) after finding out I was pregnant! I can only eat about 1400 cals a day and some days are harder than others. I had a growth scan last week and he's measuring 4lbs. 11 oz and in the 60th percentile. I haven't gained anything but obviously the baby has. All of my labs are good and my Vitamin levels are normal. Keep up with your nutritionist and you'll do great!!! Let me know if you have any questions!!!! These ladies helped me with more than even my doctors could with their experiences!! Good luck!

You'll navigate your own way and everything will be okay! ???? I am a year and a half out of a complicated sleeve. I couldn't keep food or liquid down for the first 5-6months of my pregnancy. I am currently 31 weeks along. I have barely gained weight, baby is small. I go in frequently for growth scans.

In this third trimester things have picked up!!! So, I think all equals out. I drink a lot of Water, eat a lot of ice (Iron is not low), and Vitamin levels are relatively good. I like ice, and if I think I have eaten enough, well a little frozen hydration... Won't hurt.

You'll have days that you have a lot of restriction and then you'll have days that you freak out because you can eat all day. Just be sensible about your food choices. I eat things I crave, but in only small amounts. I know some Sleevers can eat what I call a lot. I haven't found a food I can eat tons of. But if it's something that is real unhealthy I have it, but serve into my dish 1/2 of what I think I should have. Then I am mindful of each bite. If I am eating the calories they need to be worth it and make me feel good.

Hang in there girly!! I know when there is ample unknown it can be scary. Rest assured everything will be okay and both you and baby will be healthy. ????

Thanks everyone! All of your comments make me feel better. And the 2 pounds I initially gained have since gone, so I guess it was just some Water weight/bloating. I have my first ultrasound one week from today, I think I will feel a lot better once I see that everything is ok! I appreciate all the support.

I had the sleeve done 7/9/10. I lost a total of 200 pounds everyone thought I looked horrible but pitting on a size 4 felt wonderful!! I had never been thin in my whole life till I got the sleeve. Feb 2012 I found out I was pregnant and I just had gaul bladder surgery and two days later I took a test and it was positive. They gave me a test and they said it is negative. The doctor even told me that my stomach was still small like it should be.

What I'm getting at I guess is that I had my son 10/19/12 and I only gained 27 pounds and I thought I was going to die !! I worked too hard to get the weight off. At ten days after my son was born he was put in the hospital due to low oxygen. We went to three different hospitals and none of them still today can't tell us what exactly went wrong. He had oxygen till he was 9 months and he got his feeding tube out this pass march. We are truly blessed in so many ways. I would stay with him every night for two and a half months and I had a four year old at home so confused. I was stressed and stressed because. So many thingS have change in out family and some days it is hard to deal with. I had lost 15 pounds after he was born and now I can't lose anything at all. I'm very frustrated at this point and don't fit in any of my clothes ! I wouldn't. Change a thing about my family but I just don't know what to do to get 15-20 off. With the two c sections and getting my tubes tied I feel so worn out and need to get my groove back and start exercising six days a week. Another problem is that my Husband is the only one working because I resigned from my teaching job die to taking care of my son. I just worry about that and I need advice on what to do and if this has happened to anyone else.

Thanks,

Dorothy

I'm sorry to hear of all the problems with your son. There is no worse stress than that!

As far as the weight goes, just go to basics... drinking enough Water and taking in enough Protein, 60 - 80 grams.

Congratulations for losing SO much weight! Undoubtedly, you have prolonged your health and life for your family.