Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill tomorrow...getting nervous about it..tips?

I don't know why I'm so nervous about this? Sometimes I feel like I don't need one...like I'm in the green. Other days, I feel I can eat more than I should. Ugh. I also worry about them poking the tube and causing a leak in the thing. Silly, I know.

Absolutely nothing! Takes a few minutes and I didn't feel a thing. These people are pros!

Second fill was by the surgeon - I had more confidence in the nurse practitioners. Even he did it pain free!

Totally not worth being nervous. Flue shot is more painful. Promise!

Good luck on your first fill. Maybe you won't need one? I'll be waiting to hear how it went. It will all go smooth.

I don't know why I'm so nervous about this? Sometimes I feel like I don't need one...like I'm in the green. Other days, I feel I can eat more than I should. Ugh. I also worry about them poking the tube and causing a leak in the thing. Silly, I know. [/quotehey girl it's nothing. I'm getting my 2 nd ond Monday

How

are you doing?

Hi Junebug :)

As the others have said, the needle itself is REALLY surprisingly easy - i barely felt mine at all. It's not painful, but it felt a little ticklish/awkward lying on the table whilst the doctor feels around for the little ball under the skin.

Advice:

• don't worry...seriously the needle is nothing!
  • take a pillow so you can place it over your stomach on the ride home, as the seatbelt might irritate
  • do not try to eat or drink anything for a while (ask your doc). Take everything nice and slow. I foolishly tried a SINGLE SMALL SIP of Water 1 hour after my first fill, and almost vomited it everywhere 5 minutes later.
  • pause for a little while between swallows as your gut is slower than your brain and 2 swallows too quick in sucession can get you!
  • IF when you do eat too much/too fast, take a break, give it 2 minutes to hopefully work itself out. if the feeling doesn't go away i find it helpful to take a few sips of Water - it WILL make you feel really crappy, but it has the effect of either making you gently vomit up the blockage or letting it slip through the band peacefully. This is a last resort though to resolve the problem once it has occurred, you must not get into a habit of drinking whilst eating or the band will be useless

Good luck tomorrow :)

I'm going in this afternoon. I lost another pound today..so curious what the doctor will say. I was told no solids this morning...then no liquids 1 hour prior. Then liquids for the next couple days after. @@brendan2014 Thank you for the tip about the pillow! I never would have thought to bring one. I remember feeling awkward with the seat belt after surgery...so it will help! How long were you all swollen for after your fill? I really don't want to be so tight I have to regurgitate. I have had a couple episodes you talk about where warm Water helped...so I already have restriction. I have 5CC in my band right now. (It was put in at surgery.)

@@plopez just realized you changed your pic! lol I'll keep you posted!

So I did it! I lived through my first fill! It really was quick and painless! Didn't feel the needle at all. I was given .5 CCs for a grand total of 5.5CCs in my band. I was able to drink afterwards...although I can really feel the swelling. I am on liquids for 2 days then mushies for 2 days. I am hungry :-( But! my surgeon said I am on par with where I need to be and losing as much as his sleevers, so I'm excited about that! He tells me weight loss will slow this month..to about 8 pounds a month. Still really good, IMO. On to month 2!

thank you guys for the support!

Congrats Junebug, happy to hear it was easy!

I've actually just had my first "proper" fill 3 days ago and yeah it has been difficult to even drink anything larger than a sip at a time - drink small amounts with plenty of breaks between swallows, and make sure you have plenty of Protein shakes (eg Optislim) to help with the hunger and nutrition.

It's now Breakfast on day 3 and only now am i very very slowly trying to eat some Weetbix...all is going well, but i'm finding i need to eat even slower than before in order to put big rests betweens my swallows.

Good luck :)

Yay, Junebug! I'm glad you're doing well and your first fill went well. I had my first fill today as well, 4.5cc's......then had to unfill before I left the office. No down to 3cc's. Its all good! :-) Keep up the good work!

@@brendan2014 I have noticed I can no longer gulp :-( I have been sipping protien shake all night...taking forever to drink the dang thing. But, I know this will pass...I'm feeling good..and hungry still..lol.

@@Weeviegurl I was wondering how you have been! So glad to hear your fill went well too! Sounds like you still have natural restriction. You may be in the green zone with one fill! I didn't notice a thing...until I got to the car...swallowing started to become a bit difficult, not bad, but noticeable...and I could feel my throat constrict a bit. I sipped on cool Water, and it helped...had to take little sips, though. So are you okay now? I'm hoping the worst of the swelling is only on the day of, and it will calm down tomorrow. *fingers crossed*

Edited by Junebug36

Glad to read your first fill went well and was painless. Yeah!

Thanks! Me too! :-)

So, this morning was rough...took me an hour to get my Protein Shake down. Soup tonight was easier...but still feel the swelling...or is this how it will feel from now on? Hmmm. Not sure what is normal after a fill.

Hey Junebug! I am doing well. Was eating just fine the next day, and still able to eat a decent amount, but feeling more restriction than before. You're right, I will most likely require less fills to reach my green zone.

My PA told me to remember this, warm/hot food and drink relaxes the band and cold tightens it up...makes sense. But, take that into consideration if you're having problems getting stuff down. A lot of people are tighter first thing in the morning, so try to drink tea or coffee first thing to loosen up. She also said that women tend to swell more during that time of month.

Just listen to your band and your body, and make sure if you get call your Dr if anything worries you.

During my fill, I stupidly sat there and wavered whether I should go back and have the unfill...I don't need this to be a race. Our health is most important. It shouldn't have even been a question, once I was feeling uncomfortable.

Take care of yourself, Junebug! Hang in there!