Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I am almost a year post-op and I have only lost 60 lbs. I was 275 the day of my surgery and I am currently 215 (I am 25 years-old and 5'10"). I know I didn't have as much to lose as others but I just thought I would be farther along than I am. I am hungry often and there are days where I can eat 1500+ calories. I go to the gym 3-4x's a week and do cardio and strength training. I try and eat a lot of lean meats and Protein but there are days where I will eat 100+ grams of carbs. I am worried that my stomach is stretched out and that I will start to gain weight and that I am not losing as fast as I should. Could you guys offer me some advice? I have been very depressed about this lately and feel like I'll never be able to lose this excess weight, especially around my mid-section.

(I apologize for how badly this was written, but I wrote it in a hurry)

I don't know if you keep a food diary but you should if you don't. It has helped me a great deal. First - your carb intake is way to high. I have set my intake to 50 carbs/day. On days when I went crazy eating stuff with lots of carbs my intake would be 80+. It didn't take me long to figure out that was what was causing my stalls. I corrected that & the weight started coming down again. Also, I think your calorie intake is to much. The first 6 weeks I was allowed 800. At my 6 week appt. my surgeon had me bring my calorie intake up to 1,000. I think 1,200 calories/day will be all I will ever be able to have. Also, what does your surgeon say?

If you try those 2 decreases in carbs & calories maybe the weight will come off a bit faster. Everything else looks like what I've been told by my surgeon. I know other people will add their experiences to this. Hope all the information you get will help you.

Best of luck to you in your journey. Never give up. :)

The big question: are you still losing? Your BMR is 1800-2300 calories, which means 1500 calories results in a deficit even without any exercise. You are probably hungry because your body actually needs more calories for its basic functions; eating too little can put you in starvation mode, making it more difficult to lose weight. Alternatively, given how much you work out, it is possible you are gaining lean weight (a great thing). As long as you are losing at least something every month, try not to sweat it. Let your body lose and adjust at its own comfortable rate. You will be better off in the long run.

i don't know if this will help, but my nutritionist assured me multiple times, as did my surgeon, that a year post op i would be eating 1200 cals daily and that is a REQUIREMENT, not their hope. also, they both assured me that ALL food groups would be represented. i'm not saying that any differing opinions are wrong, but I had this surgery so i wouldn't have to be on a diet for the rest of my life, and to learn to eat ALL foods in normal portions. it could very well be that your balance of the food groups is off.

that said, i would suggest FIRST getting an appt with your nutritionist or a dietitian to discuss your food logs, activity logs, etc. they are going to be able to give you the best direction and advice. you might also ask your primary physician to check your thyroid and adrenal hormone levels, both which could inhibit weight loss. good luck!

Quick reply. In short, you are taking in WAY TOO MANY carbs. You will not lose weight with all those carbs.

Go see your doc and nutritionist; be honest with them re: your intake, etc. take a food diary, etc. Sounds like you need to totally reset. (Some recent research indicates it takes 6-8 days to clear the metabolic and hormonal effect carbs has on us.

It's likely that the carbs are giving you the hunger. Trust me, I just went through this myself after I treated myself to a "few potato chips," and, after fighting with them for a few weeks, I'm just now getting back to satiety with my Proteins, and not craving.)

See your doc, but you must stop eating all those carbs. It's simply way too many. But chin up; get back on the horse. You can do it.

many obese people are insulin resistant. if you are, it can be very difficult to lose weight if your carbs are above 40-50 grams per day.

if you reduce your carbs, you may speed up your weight loss. experiment with it and see.

I am following this post. I noticed i too have been eating way too many carbs. Somewhere over 100 carbs a day.

I'm only three months out but I measure everything... I have 4oz cups and if it doesn't fit I don't eat it. Mostly proteins...some veggies... Very little carbs... I keep them under 50. I use my fitness pal to keep me balanced. I rarely go over 800 calories a day... I have my three month follow up appointment end of this month. I'm hoping he doesn't ask me to up my calories cause I'm struggling now to get in the Water in between eating! Haha

I found this article REALLY helpful in understanding what obstacles can get in our way on a low carb eating program--do any of them apply to you?

http://authoritynutrition.com/15-reasons-not-losing-weight-on-a-low-carb-diet/

Everyone here is spot on....too many carbohydrates ......carbs carbs carbs carbs,...too many.

Let's be honest.... carbohydrates that are consumed can usually be comprised of junk food, chips, crackers, pretzels, Cookies, cake , candy or you might be someone who eats a lot of Pasta or someone who eat a lot of bread but either way these things cannot be main components of our diet anymore...... they are show stoppers .....you have to get that under control.... the other problem with carbs is they make you crave more carbohydrates .....it's in the same vicious cycle before your surgery..... nothing has changed in that regard .....please lower your carbohydrate intake down considerably and drink plenty of fluids....

You got this...reign this pony in now!

Shel

at 5-10 you can eat 1200-1300 a day and still lose weight. I know because that is me. in fact I eat 1300-2000 a day in my weight loss phase before taking out exercise calories. the more cardio exercise I do the more hungry I am and that's okay. I do two days strength training and 2 cardio.

for my height, since calorie budget is high side carb intake is also higher than people on 800 a day. I eat over 100 carbs a day.

I also eat 80-100 grams of Protein a day

I don't check fat grams but those are also around 90-100 a day so my macros are often about 50% fat.

I lost 130 lbs over 16 months on this so not everyone needs or should eat 800 cals or stay under 50g carbs especially taller persons.

I will advise though to limit SUGAR carbs to < 25g per day. when I do that I lose the fastest.

Also do not graze. Eat 3 meals and 2 Snacks a day with at least 2-4 hours in between.

Protein first, fat second and carbs last.

I found this article REALLY helpful in understanding what obstacles can get in our way on a low carb eating program--do any of them apply to you? http://authoritynutrition.com/15-reasons-not-losing-weight-on-a-low-carb-diet/

Thanks for sharing. Great article! Very informative : )

Also, I know that I do not lose weight with Splenda/sucralose...and it's in practically all the "Protein this or that" supplements and products. I had to drop those early on. So, maybe watch that too.

But first and foremost...step away from the carbs. Eating them is self-sabotage, and for sure, you're eating way too many.

I would definitely reach out and ask for help. You did that when you shared your thoughts on your weight loss compared with post-op surgery time. Don't listen to your mind. Remember, our minds got us to the places where we needed surgical help. Our minds are not our friends. You've already gotten some feed back from the talls. You are not alone.