Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Is (or Was) Holding You Back from Weight Loss Surgery?

What Is (or Was) Holding You Back from Weight Loss Surgery?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. If you have not had weight loss surgery, which of the following is preventing you from getting weight loss surgery? If you have already had the surgery, which of these delayed your procedure?

• Your insurance does not cover it and it costs too much.
    • Your primary care doctor is not supportive.
    • Your friends or family are against the idea of weight loss surgery.
    • You are not sure which type of weight loss surgery is best for you.
    • You are afraid of complications or side effects from weight loss surgery.
    • You do not know if it will help you lose weight.
    • Other - please tell us below!

Fear of the surgery itself, fear of complications, fear that I would spend so much and STILL not lose any weight.

I also spent over 2 years researching WLS options, and gathered so much conflicting information that I was confused and decided I would try "just one more diet." I did hcg,lost a good amount of weight and then gained it all back again. It was at that point that I made the surgeon consultation appt, and I haven't looked back, since!

Cost would have been my only deterrent. Nothing held me back once I found my insurance would pay for it if I met all the criteria. It was only 3 1/2 months from my decision to have RNY and the date of my surgery. :-)

The main reason for me was fear of complications. I've considered WLS over the years, and the risks used to be higher. I didn't have any comorbidities, and figured the risk wasn't worth it. I should be able to lose weight on my own! So then, I would attempt to diet, and the older I got, the harder it was to lose weight at all. So, I wasn't sure that WLS would even help me lose weight. I feared I might be one of those people it just didn't "work" for. Also, my mother was adamantly opposed to it, because of the risks.

18 months post op, I'm happy I did it. I actually did have a minor complication (infection), but other than that, no problems. I still feel super lucky about that. WLS surgery has worked for me, and my mother came around once she saw I wasn't changing my mind. It's a big decision, though, and I always say you have to be willing to assume the risks.

Once I felt educated enough to decide, the only thing that has held me back has been the huge backlog of patient applicants at my local (US) bariatric center of excellence. I could've / would've / liked to have been sleeved about three months ago. As it looks now, with luck I'll be sleeved in August.

I first attended an introductory lecture by the surgeon (3 hours long) in July 2013. It's been a long, long road. I haven't required any pre-surgical interventions (other than dietary and exercise orientation). They really are just overwhelmed with applicants.

This is a growth industry.

My hesitation in getting surgery was that I felt it meant I had to admit I was a failure. After trying every diet and exercise plan and failing, I thought WLS was like throwing in the towel and taking the "easy" way out. What changed all that for me was research. Finding answers here, and doing research into scientific studies. But perhaps more importantly, I stopped thinking of myself as a failure, but rather the diets failed me.

I am still waiting and waiting....... I go back and forth, one day will go for it, the other will not. I have lost over 155 pounds on my own without the surgery, so every friend I have and my significant other all keep telling me, "Don't do it". My SO will give me zero support especially if something does go wrong or if I am sick afterwards during the recovery. He will more likely say, "I told you not to do it so don't come crying to me if you feel bad".

No one is on board for this except my bariatric surgeon and his staff. Initially I did not have the co-pay for the operation but now I have complete coverage. I have done all the tests and preliminary work ups except for one exercise class, an abominal sonogram, a chest x-ray and blood work.

I fear that it won't stop me from gaining weight back because the only two people I have met who had the sleeve done are already getting fat again. And if I can lose 155 pounds (and still living the program to lose more), then why do it now? My reasons so far are that (1) I am a diabetic (insulin needs are WAAAAY down and soon to be gone), I have moderate sleep apnea, and I need abominal surgery anyway because I have both a hiatal hernia and an umbilical hernia.

My reasons against it are that I fear that my life will change so much that I will never be able to enjoy a diet coke again, or eat a BIG salad (I enjoy the crunch) or that I will go out with friends and have head hunger over what they order while I eat nothing or little. I also fear (big time) the evidence I have seen that food will no longer taste good or I won't be able to enjoy the foods I like today. One person who loved shellfish could no longer eat any shellfisth after the sleeve, and I cannot imagine life without shellfish or beef (another food I have heard may no longer be tolerated).

I don't care that I may be physically no longer hungry after a few bites, as we all know (and some here won't admit it) food is part of what makes life enjoyable and there is more to the eating of food other than to satisfy physical hunger. I do not mind eating SMALL amounts of food, I mind that I may not be able to enjoy SMALL portions of things that I love. I can be happy without a LOT of shrimp, or a LOT of beef, or a LOT of lobster, but I cannot imagine being happy not being able to eat any of those again or enjoy an occasional diet soda.

These boards are filled with great stories and I have to ask where are the failures, the surgeries that went wrong, the people who wish that they never did it????? Is anyone here willing to claim that almost every story was a success story of all being OK?

How to make a decision when only ONE side is presented. I want to go into this with my eyes wide open as to what I am agreeing to and so far I only hear one side of things.

And finally, my neighbors only son, age 32, died on December 22, 2012 as a result of gastric bypass surgery, and last week I met a woman in my bariatric surgeon's office in terrible pain, recovering from his fixing her gastric band that ate into her stomach and caused a problem that almost killed her. She told me that he removed the band and told her that she cannot attempt any further bariatric surgery.

So the bottom line, I am frightened of both the known and the unknown and still on a holding pattern.

Get a cuppa.. I have been researching WLS for many years. The band seemed sensible and there were myriad articles about it. The closest I got was attending a bandster bash in Tijuana, talked to others, watched a fill, and interviewed quite a few doctors there. I decided on who I wanted, started getting together with ladies in my area who had the band, then decided to 'give it another try' on my own. Two of my good friends struggled terribly with the band and one was, 2 months ago, finally dragged to the ER by her husband in a near coma state (both my mother and I gave her money, she was very poor). Both had them removed. A dear relative has gained almost all her weight back after a RNY. Another relative almost died from complications months after her bypass.

So there's that.

Now comes the sleeve and gastric plication. I liked the plication because initially I read that it was reversible. Now I find it really isn't. So, back to the books: I allow myself months of research. Then I came across some studies about 'foot drop', leak rates, and suicide rates in post bariatric surgery patients. That last one was my achilles heel as I struggle with depression. So those are my reasons for WAITING, and doing more research.

While I am still very seriously considering the sleeve, and now I have narrowed it down to 3 doctors, much of my research energy is going into new and non invasive bariatric weight loss procedures. Even Dr. Ariel Ortiz (much admired here) states that in future we will look back and see these cutting surgeries as primitive and the Obalon type procedures as more preferred... I promise to go get the exact quote from him. OR go watch the Obalon video I posted from Nightline.

I am excited to post these bariatric procedures and my research here on this website. Many are passed European safety trials and are being used in Europe/UK/South America now, but have not yet passed the FDA. Some have trials now going on in the US and some don't, but are available in Mexico or foreign countries. It is true that non-surgical methods may not bring you rapid, huge amounts of weight loss. But I find these non invasive methods can be used more than once, to get a larger amount of pounds lost. I kind of like the idea of no cutting to my tummy.

I like the Endobarrier (a sleeve of clear plastic that is placed through your mouth and works like a non surgical bypass, and is removed through your mouth after a period of 3, 6 or 12 months - they are finding it eliminates type 2 diabetes as well)(now in trials in a city near you) and the Obalon (a capsule that is swallowed and turns into a gastric balloon, allowing you to feel satiated...after 3 weeks it is then deflated and removed through the mouth). These procedures are done on an out patient basis by doctors, and have success. It is true that they are not permanent, but for me, I hope after initial weight loss, I can get my 'healthy' on, and use that weight loss as a kick start to get me rolling with new habits. The Endobarrier can be adjusted for greater weight loss, or you can do it again, and the Obalon after the 3 weeks, you can do it again, after a wait i would imagine.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/1015-gastric-balloon-endolumenal-bariatric-procedures-forum-new/

Prices seem high now, for these outpatient procedures, but I think these will come down, in time. But can I wait? I am just not sure if I can, thus my continued sleeve interest. But, If I was NEAR a city that was doing the Endobarrier trials, I would be there in a heartbeat.. I have actually considered MOVING to one of the cities for a year to get in on this trial.

I am very supportive of everyone's journey here, and may still go with a sleeve, but feel free to have a look at my new research on non invasive or non cutting types of bariatric procedures (link above). I know all the arguments, pro and con. Please respect my outlook, as I respect yours.

In support,

triss

Edited by utahgirll

I am still waiting and waiting....... I go back and forth, one day will go for it, the other will not. I

These boards are filled with great stories and I have to ask where are the failures, the surgeries that went wrong, the people who wish that they never did it????? Is anyone here willing to claim that almost every story was a success story of all being OK?

How to make a decision when only ONE side is presented. I want to go into this with my eyes wide open as to what I am agreeing to and so far I only hear one side of things.

FIRST, congrats on your amazing weight loss. I so admire you.

I spend time in the Complications area here. I have read so much great stuff, but honestly, I want to know both sides... I WANT TO HEAR because I want to be able to make a decision from all the information gathered. I do spend time googling things like 'failed sleeve surgeries" "percentage of leaks in gastric sleeve surgery" and I would advise you to do the same, as I don't know if those folks are here on this website to share, in that it might be hard for them to admit or even want to talk about it here. You can garner much in Complications area here, though. And google is your best friend to garner more. Personally I would like to see someone start a topic that says, "I wish I hadn't done it and why" Hey, maybe I will, except I haven't done it. Yet.

I chose other because I didn't even know this type of surgery even existed and as soon as I knew about it I did not hesitate.

My daughter and I were going to do the Sleeve together. There was nothing holding us back! EXCEPT..... Money. My insurance approved my sleeve surgery. My daughter's ins did not approve hers. :-(. We actually booked her for surgery in Mexico for July 22, but in the end chickened out. Could not find a dr that would take her followup here in US after she had the surgery. So every pound I lose is bittersweet. I know this breaks my daughter's heart seeing my success yet knowing she will likely never be able to have the WLS. Very depressing for her. And for me!

Never is an overstatement. Insurance changes, who knows what the future holds.

This is a great question. I had a lot of things holding me back, I guess. The first of which was that my life had to get "bad enough" for me to admit that I really needed to do something. I had to rack up enough comorbidities (even though I didn't even know they were called that) for me to be uncomfortable enough in my body to want to fix it. Constant pain kind of got my attention finally. Before that point, it was easy to just stay in denial and think "I may be fat, but at least I am healthy!" Ha - who was I kidding (besides myself!)

Then I had to deal with the whole shame thing. It's mortifying to admit even to myself that I am so overweight that it will take something this drastic to get me back to a healthy weight. I had to beat myself up for a while. Then I had to be mad at the rest of the world for making me feel so ashamed of how I looked. I had to then go through the whole fat acceptance thing and learn to love and respect myself regardless of what size I am.

After that, I had to deal with all my misconceptions, the horror stories I heard about complications, the people I knew who had surgery but gained it all back, etc. I had to research the hell out the of the internet until I could sort out what the facts and statistics and risks really are and accept that my chances of success are actually pretty high and that I can make them even better by how well I follow instructions!

Then money was an issue - I wasn't sure my SO would be on board with us having to spend the $$ out of pocket if insurance didn't cover it. I wasn't even sure if he would be on board at all! So, we had a heart-to-heart and it turned out he was so happy I wanted to do anything that he was willing to support me no matter what. So, it was just icing (ok, a lot of icing) that my insurance will cover it.

Fear of the pain or the diet restrictions or the lifelong Vitamins & changes to lifestyle - I had to get my head wrapped around all of that too. I figure it is all better than the road I have been on. :-)

So now, finally, there really is nothing left holding me back - at least within my control. I'm going through the process, checking off all the requirements and hoping to have a bypass sometime next month.

Never is an overstatement. Insurance changes, who knows what the future holds.

you are right. At the moment it seems like never... But we are going to attempt to reapply again in 6 months. Keeping our fingers crossed

I was held back for several reasons. #1 would be the fear of failing. Ex: I had lost weight many times over the years( only to regain" #2 Listening to so- called friends. Ex: Everyone wants to fill your head with all of these bariatric horror stories. Looking at where I am now, I can't even comprehend why I was so afraid. I wish I would have done this years ago...lots of time wasted.

ALL of the above. I actually almost had to sneak away to get my lapband. I haven't even admitted to it with my family or closest friends