Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Support Groups Before Surgery?

Hi all, I'm wondering what the collective wisdom is on attending in person support groups? Did you? Why or Why not? Did you start when you were in your 3 month supervised diet phase or wait until you were actually scheduled? Thanks in advance! Beth

I attended because it was required. I thought it was a waste of time. The only meeting that I got anything from was when the surgeon showed up and chatted with us.

I went to my first meeting and really found it informative. It was a nice mix of pre-ops ,new post-ops and even ones that were years out! It was great! The leader is very personable too, so that helps. I am only required to attend the one but I think I'm going to keep going! Good Luck!

I forgot to say that I am two months into my journey.

Edited by scarp102

I was required to attend 3 support grp mtgs pre op. I also had to attend a grp mtg with the surgeon & nutritionist. I found the support grps informative but after the 3rd mtg I felt like I personally would get more out of it post surg for some reason. It could be because most of the ppl there were post surg.. I do plan on going back after surg since they meet once a mo.

I attended a few different classes. I wanted/want to obtain as much info as possible. I even recorded the class on Protein and Vitamins. The support is great not everyone thinks alike so there are questions others have that you didn't think of, in return that's more knowledge your gaining. Hang in there and go to as many as you can. This is a life changing event that will take place be aware & stay informed! Good luck to you.

I started attending my support group immediately after orientation back in February and have been to every meeting except when I was in Alaska. I figured that since I was going to be part of this community and I would need their support, it would benefit me to carve myself a space right away. I'm glad I did. I now have friends in the WLS community cheering me on and inspiring me, and fellow pre-ops who look to me and my husband as inspiration (we have both done really well on the pre-op diet).

Even if you don't initially get anything out of the meetings because they are geared towards post-ops, I would encourage everyone to go and meet your new friends early and often - you'll need them!

Edited by Cairobat

Had to go to two. Thought it would be a waste of my time but it was the complete opposite. There's pre and various levels of post. I learn a lot. It's a safe place to share without judgment. Every thing is shared the good the bad. We discussed how are we going to get thru the holiday weekend. We go around the room and share a goal or Celebrate when a goal is achieved! We watched the video of the two people that lost enough weight to skydive!

I have surgery tomorrow and am wondering if I can make it to the meeting Thursday evening! Lol

It was suggested that I attend the support group at the Gym affiliated with the hospital where I was to have my surgery.

My first meeting I ran into an old friend who was having the bypass done. Since another friend also chose to have the sleeve surgery, we have an instant support group. I found the group quite helpful. We were told that those of us just coming for support would be mentors to the newbies this time next year. I never forgot that. it was the best encouragement I have recieved so far.

I attended the support group program affiliated with my baritatric program and found it very helpful. I met people who were pre-op, immediately post-op, at goal, and suffering with regain. I went twice a month pre-op and the first couple of months post-op, then once per month and now very rarely. I mostly go now so people can see that the program works and I am at goal several years later.

Because it was affiliated with my program, I knew exactly what to expect in the hospital. And I took my Mom to one meeting because she was so scared for me to have the operation (I also took her to one surgeon appt. - other than her threatening the surgeon if anything happened to me :-) it really helped her get on board. )

Lynda

I have been to one support group meeting so far (required by my insurance). Unfortuantely, it was an embarrassingly bad waste of time, I think even the facilitator thought so - They brought in a guest speaker, who I'm guessing told her that he was going to talk about neuroscience and addiction. In reality, it was an hour long sales-pitch for woo-woo supplements and a multi-level-marketing scheme. The 'in network' cost for the magic supplements that revive dead red blood cells and turn them into white blood cells was only $150/month. The out of network cost was $185.

The only reason I stayed was to ask the facilitator if Amway would be at the next meeting. She looked downright embarrassed and was very apologetic.

Don't misunderstand me, I think support groups are a good and necessary thing, just understand that there may be some duds in the mix. Even though I'm not required to for my insurance, i will be going back to the support group for the next meeting I can make. Hoping it will be better.

i'm going to go tomorrow night. it will be my first one, and i'm about 2 months pre-op now. i'm hoping it'll feel worthwhile, but frankly i don't get as much out of face to face support groups as i do from online ones. this forum is my number one go-to place for support.

That's hilarious, lol

I think Avon is coming the month after.

Well, you know it's all about getting healthy first but looking good comes right after. I'm okay with clean too!

It was required that I attend at least 2 in person support sessions pre-op. Best advice ever! My local group is full of very supportive folks and led by the Bariatric Nurse Coordinator, (also a 13 year WLS survivor) so there is a wealth of experience and information there. I do not miss! Very helpful.

Plus, now that I am at goal, the rookies are looking to me for advice and encouragement. Being in that position helps me maintain my motivation to stay on track and remain a good example rather than a horrible warning, LOL

Edited by bikrchk