Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2014 sleevers? Let's chat!

Hello, all! After about a month of waiting for my insurance company to sign off on my surgery, I finally got approved this week. I honestly cannot believe it. I've already competed psych counseling, nutrition counseling, blood tests, EKG, etc. I start my two-week pre-op liquid diet July 28 and get sleeved Aug. 11.

For the most part, I have family support. At work, those closest to me have said things like, "You're not large enough. You don't need to do that. Please reconsider," to "How long will you be out? I better get in my vacation time in before you go." One co-worker looks at me in a sad, troubled, puzzled expression when she sees me and explained that her neighbor had WLS and it was a bad experience. So, it's quite a challenge to share my news with people who don't get "it." And that is okay. It is not for them to "get." This is for ME! Sorry, for that virtual self psych-analysis. I must admit that I am a little nervous about surgery (I don't like any kind of hospital procedures), but I'm eager to start living a healthier life.

Would love to hear from anyone else getting sleeved in August, what your chief concerns are and where you're located. My surgeon is at UTSW in Dallas.

I don't know for sure when I'm getting sleeved, but my paperwork is getting submitted for approval early this week, maybe even Monday. I'm in WV, feel free to add me as a friend and message me anytime! God Bless!!!

@@dreamgirl45

I am getting my sleeve on August 18th. I have the same sediments of nervousness too. I work in health care and understand risks and complications far too well. I trust the expertise of my physician and the hospital, but worry about the side effects and permanancy. For me, the psychological component is huge I am an emotional eater I love food cooking food and being with family around food. But I have struggled for years and am beginning to experience highBP, high Sugar and snoring it is just time!

Albright, I understand. The permanency of it all bliss my mind, too, BUT I do have the high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, back pain, irregularities, weird sensations that appear to be like diabetic neuropathy, night sweats and more. Most importantly, I have a 7 year old daughter. I keep thinking of the immediate benefits of the sleeve and how nothing else I've tried-- that resulted in weight loss has lasted.

@@dreamgirl45, I have told just a few people about my surgery. I am shooting for late August, early September depending on the insurance. The most important people, mother, hubby, close sorority sister and her mom are on board. I told a friend and the first think she said was, No, don't do that! Who told u that you needed that? I told her, I made this decision and based on my BMI of 47, it's a good thing for me, I want to be around for my son.

She's not convinced because she has lost 50 lbs since January. I told her that I've tried diets and I know I will gain it back.

I've made my decision and I'm sticking to it.

Hi, I'm getting my sleeve in Tijuana on 4th August. Only two people know about it - my husband and my best friend in the UK who I emailed about it. Both are 100% supportive, and I think I'm fortunate that I don't I don't need to tell anyone else.

Feeling more excited than nervous - so far, anyway - and I'm making lots of plans for all the activities I'll be able to do later.

I am approved to be sleeved at UT SW. I have not scheduled. Who is your doc?

I would like to talk!

Judy

I hope it's okay that I respond. I have a July date, but I can relate all too well to the stories of coworkers and friends not understanding. When I briefly mentioned several months ago that I was considering WLS, my coworkers almost fainted. I mentioned it to my sister and mother around the same time and they all gave me the same response. All said something similar to "I don't see why you need it. Why don't you just try to diet and exercise?" (Right...because that hasn't occurred to me over the 15 years that I've been big and getting bigger). When I decided for SURE that this is what I was going to do, I only told my husband and my two best friends who have all been truly supportive. I ended up telling my mother ONLY because I'm going out of the country and I didn't want to leave the country without telling her where I was. She's offered her support, but has also tried to talk me out of it several times. I did not, and will not tell my coworkers before I go. I submitted my time off request to my boss and I only put "Medical travel/procedure" for the reason. She called my desk to make sure I was okay, and approved the time without asking anymore questions. Our office is small, so my absence will be noticed, but I do plan to tell everyone when I come back. I just don't want the negativity before I go.

Good luck to all!

C.

Candypants81,

Why is it that so many people think it's never occurred to us to try to eat less or exercise? I've never understood this.

The world is full of diet books, magazine articles and TV shows - and they think we haven't noticed?

I'm getting sleeved August 4th in Puerto Vallarta. My weight battle has spanned 14 years and I decided that I no longer wanted to fight the battle. I have been rather open with folks, and have received some interesting comments, but having done my research, I am comfortable with my choice. Some have questioned my choice of location rather than the surgery itself, while a coworker discussed MY surgery with HER doctor--that was interesting; the doctor told her that I would need support and asked if the coworker would be there to help me. Funny, I don't remember asking my coworker for support. I know the sleeve is a tool, and that I still have to "do the work" as I did when I was dieting and exercising, but this tool works and will allow me to acheive the healthy lifestyle that has thus far evaded me.

Hi, I am new to this site and very grateful for all of the information/feedback that I am reading. After 10 long months of pre-op testing, visits, hoops required by my insurance Co. (Group Health) etc... I finally have my surgery date to be sleeved, August 13, 2014. I am so ready!! My surgeon did say that if there is a cancellation, that I can have the option of moving up my surgery date (I agreed to that). I think as time draws nears, I'll probably start to get nervous, but I have been waiting for this for so long, that I'm looking forward to it. I had my gallbladder removed in 2011 and I'm hoping that it will keep me from having a lot of the issues that I see some people have post op. I look forward to following your thread and wish you the best of luck on your journey!!!

I am NOT keeping my impending sleeve a secret. It takes too much energy. I have told family and friends and feedback thus far is mostly supportive. Some feel it is too drastic, however not my problem!

@@CandyPants81 You're getting closer to your date. How are you feeling? What are you most looking forward to? Sending good thoughts.

Thank you!!! I'm nervous and excited. I've had a couple moment where I've thought I might be crazy for doing this. The closer it gets, the more nervous I become. I start my official pre op diet one week from today! How is that possible?! Lol. Seems time is frozen sometimes. Other times, I can barely catch my breath because it's happening so fast. But I'm looking forward to so many things. Health, freedom. My weight has held me prisoner for far too long. I want to break free!!

candy

I will have my final weigh in on 7/3/14 and then my paperwork will go to the insurance for approval. I have seen all the dr's all I'll need is the last 2 test for pre-op. I started this process in Feb. and finally getting there. Scary but good. I have my dr's, coworkers and friends support. Only one has question me are you sure you want to do this. I'm have high blood presure, lower back pain and have fibormaylgia. I'm hoping to have my operation in Aug. I've learned alot of information reading all the post.