Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Welcome to the NEW weight loss medications forum!

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the weight loss medications forum! This is the place to talk about anything related to weight loss medications if you are thinking about using them, are on them, or have used them in the past.

Many different weight loss surgery drugs are on the market or are being considered for approval.

• Orlistat: brand names are Xenical (prescription) and Alli (over-the-counter)

• Lorcaserin: Belviq

• Phentermine: Adipex-P, Oby-Cap, Suprenza, T-Diet, and Zantryl

• Phentermine-topimarate: Qsymia

• Beloranib

• Liraglutide: Victoza

• Lipovarin (bitter orange/synephrine)

• Naltrexone-bupropion: Contrave

The idea behind weight loss drugs is that if you use them as well as follow a calorie-restricted diet, they can help fight obesity by reducing hunger and speeding up metabolism. So far, the ideal weight loss drug has not come along. The ones available today can have harmful side effects, may not be approved for long-term use, or might not lead to much weight loss.

I know that many BariatricPal members have used or considered weight loss surgery drugs. In these forums, I invite you to share your experiences and ask questions about weight loss medications and how to use them, their side effects, what kind of weight loss they lead to, how to talk to your doctor about them, and anything else that is related.

weighlosspill.jpg

great idea to add this kind of information on a problem that has plagued many preBandsters

I was one of those who used a variety of prescription medications in my weight battle ranging from the early 60s to the mid 70s.

Don't have a list of what the Rx was, yet they all had one thing in common: big promises and big failure to produce.

Although the ones that kept me up at 3am and led to the arrest of my then-physician in 1965 for a variety of FDA violations, had some side benefits, I feel basically fortunate to have survived the ordeal.

I haven't kept up on the various products available over the past 10 years. Reading the eventually discovered side effects of the previous generation of such medications was startling enough.

Hope we can find that magic answer to our problem.

I'll be reading the posts here to upgrade my awareness of current pharmaceuticals.

Great post, as there are many Dr.'s now that are part of the Bariatric practice Endocrinologist in particular who are considering these drugs and supplements to aid patients in weight loss.

I know two of the newer drugs that have been approved by the FDA are : Qysimia which is a Phentermine/topiramate mix and Belviq which works as a serotonin booster.

One of the more popular diet supplements that has been going around my office as of late is the Garcina Cambogia supplement that is touted by Dr. Oz.

There are a couple of ladies taking the drug here who I would say are seeing some results and I am not sure what it is about the supplement but from what I have read it also acts as a serotonin booster and fat burner combined. However some of the behaviors that I see from these ladies is more akin in my mind to Anorexia then it is just in trying to diet and keep weight down. They are scary skinny, gym rats who obsess about that 5-10 pounds. I say that not to be judgemental it's just an observation, I am not so not sure how this supplement would work for someone who is overweight starting out.

There is one lady who wanted to try it..and I was curious to see how it might work for her, however her Primary Dr. said NO she was not to try using the supplement due to other medications she is on for certain co-morbidity's.

I have personally experienced Qysimia which at a low dose is ineffective and at the higher does left me jittery, with high blood pressure, red red (cartoon like) red eyes, aggressive and angry. Needless to say that did not work for me at all, it did curb hunger a bit but the Lapband does that without those side affects.

I'd be interested to read others experience with any of these supplements and medications.

Thanks for this important new forum!

Hi everyone! Welcome to the weight loss medications forum! This is the place to talk about anything related to weight loss medications if you are thinking about using them, are on them, or have used them in the past. Many different weight loss surgery drugs are on the market or are being considered for approval. Orlistat: brand names are Xenical (prescription) and Alli (over-the-counter) Lorcaserin: Belviq Phentermine: Adipex-P, Oby-Cap, Suprenza, T-Diet, and Zantryl Phentermine-topimarate: Qsymia Beloranib Liraglutide: Victoza Lipovarin (bitter orange/synephrine) Naltrexone-bupropion: Contrave The idea behind weight loss drugs is that if you use them as well as follow a calorie-restricted diet, they can help fight obesity by reducing hunger and speeding up metabolism. So far, the ideal weight loss drug has not come along. The ones available today can have harmful side effects, may not be approved for long-term use, or might not lead to much weight loss. I know that many BariatricPal members have used or considered weight loss surgery drugs. In these forums, I invite you to share your experiences and ask questions about weight loss medications and how to use them, their side effects, what kind of weight loss they lead to, how to talk to your doctor about them, and anything else that is related.

I was on the trial for Merida with Dr Blackburn many many years ago. It did work as long as I was on them. Would I ever take another weight pill after that, NO. I love my band and feel you can live without quack pills.

Thank you for this topic. I am looking into a lot of ideas, including meds, before venturing into permanent surgery. So I appreciate your listing of the meds. I am collecting articles about these meds in my pinterest and hope to have some ideas of what meds might work for me.

best,

triss in utah

I'm thinking about trying Qsymia to help boost my weight loss plateau. Anybody have any good results with it?

Hello,

I am a newbie but happy to read this weight loss knowledge and If you take many medicine for a long time then it will be harmful.

People vary. I am scheduled for a sleeve in late December and have been taking phentermine for five weeks now, prescribed by my bariatric surgeon. I feel great, and love seeing the scale move in the right direction. I've been asked why I don't forgo surgery and stick with phentermine, as it is doing the job.

But I know it isn't a permanent solution. My brain will find a way a work around to rev up my hunger hormones and fight weight loss. Meanwhile, it keeps the rabid rodents of hunger from gnawing at my insides and invading my mental space! It helps me stick to 1400 calories and gives me energy to exercise.

Almost 20 years ago, I lost 50 lbs while on phen/fen before it was yanked by the FDA for causing heart problems in some users. I was heartbroken, as it was the only thing that kept my hunger in check. However, if I'd continued taking it, it would probably have lost its effectiveness in time, even if my heart had stayed healthy.

Now for a little rant! A lot of the materials given to bariatric patients and "support" provided by paraprofessionals and insurance company "consultants" (I talked to one yesterday who is supposedly an expert) have not caught up to the science. They are still talking about "emotional eating" and assuming obesity is a failure of self-control. This is not only ridiculous but counterproductive. My surgeon is the only one among her bariatric staff that is apparently willing or able to discuss the complex mix of genetics, gut microbes, and obesogenic factors that underly obesity. Imagine a breast cancer patient being forced to walk a gauntlet of people who thought she was morally culpable for her DNA, her toxic mattress, drinking Water, medications, and stress levels before she could get life-saving surgery.

This is not trivial, as our ideas about our obesity are critical to our success after surgery:

http://esciencenews.com/articles/2014/10/23/how.people.view.their.own.weight.influences.bariatric.surgery.success

How do YOU talk to yourself about your obesity? Do you think it makes a difference?

I am currently in a position where I am so hungry all the time. My weight is at an all time high at just over 300 lbs. People keep telling me that I "just need to do it", but they don't seem to understand that it's not that simple. I read a lot about food/sugar addiction and I fit right in to that. I cannot seem to get control of my cravings, my hunger, or my desires for sweets and tasty treats. When I do try a low calorie diet, I am completely miserable because I feel so super hungry all the time. It drives me nuts and then I fail and eat a lot and a lot of things that I shouldn't eat. This is really emotionally wrecking me as I have a strong desire to be more active and do more with my son, but I just can't seem to keep it under control. Another thing I hear all the time is "you have to want it". Well of course I want it!!!! I know a lot of smokers who "want" to quit and I know that they really do, but because it's an addiction, they have a really hard time doing so. And a lot of times I notice that people are more willing to be understanding of smokers than they are to people with obesity/food issues. I have a food addiction and this is so hard to overcome, I'm about at my wits end with all of it. I just can't seem to get through this no matter how much I try or how much I want it. I know that my doctor has mentioned weight loss medication to both me and my mother, and I am seriously considering approaching this subject with him again and see what he suggests. I really appreciate reading all the posts regarding side effects, complications, and results. This kind of conversation will make it much easier for me to make an informed decision on this.

@@Celia Keehn Hi, where are you located? I live in Rochester, NY