Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

This is my first post,

My surgery is in less than a week, I don't know my surgeon, I don't know the country, I have not had any tests, I'll be alone..

Am I crazy to do it?

So I'm 45, struggled with my weight and my relationship to food all my life, my BMI is "only" 33, but my eating is out of control and l know I need help, otherwise I'll be miserable for the rest of my life. I don't want to wait for all the serious medical problems to start..

I live in London, England and decided to have the sleeve done about 3 weeks ago, after doing a little research. I would have gone for the mini gastric bypass, but not a lot of doctors do it yet.

Anyway, despite of what people think, I could find no-one to do more than a "balloon" in my stomach, because I'm not morbidly obese.

So I found a surgeon in Amman, JORDAN!!!! Yes, he will do it! I did do a little research into it and the Middle East seems quite advanced when it comes to these type of surgeries. But I do know that most people would no way consider going to an Arab country for surgery. I will be going alone, my pre-op appointment and tests are the day before surgery. I don't need to go on any pre-op diet, in fact in the last 2 weeks I have put on about 10 pounds, just eating things I will never be able to eat again. I will leave hospital the day after surgery and 2 days later fly back to London, it's a 5 and half hour flight.

I have done some crazy things in my life, recently, in January I successfully climbed Kilimanjaro, but reading all the posts here and seeing just how much preparation and thought goes into some people's weight loss journey, it puts a little doubt in my mind...

Any thoughts on this?

Any suggestions?

Any tips?

Thanks

If your eating is out of control, I highly suggest you find a therapist who specializes in eating disorders and see them for a few months BEFORE your surgery. The surgery will not fix the psychological issues that make your eating out of control, and if you continue down that path you can very well negate the positive effects of your surgery. I really, really cannot stress enough how important it is to make sure your psychological health is taken care of before you alter your body.

I went from the US to Mexico for surgery. Went to an amazing doctor and like you did all the blood work and stuff the day before. But what I really liked was being in the hospital 3 days where the surgeon checked on me and I had 2 nurses round the clock. I wouldn't like only being in the hospital 1 day unless they are giving you major meds for pain, woke up after the second night in lots of pain. Also be SURE you get to do a barium swallow before you leave the day after surgery and take video of the screen as you do it so you have that. That is vital info for your docs back home and it will let you see how your sleeve will work.

I went from the US to Mexico for surgery. Went to an amazing doctor and like you did all the blood work and stuff the day before. But what I really liked was being in the hospital 3 days where the surgeon checked on me and I had 2 nurses round the clock. I wouldn't like only being in the hospital 1 day unless they are giving you major meds for pain, woke up after the second night in lots of pain. Also be SURE you get to do a barium swallow before you leave the day after surgery and take video of the screen as you do it so you have that. That is vital info for your docs back home and it will let you see how your sleeve will work.

This is an important bit of advice I had not thought of.... Taking the video with you when you return home.

I belong to several different support groups for bariatric patients and while everyone is losing weight, the ones that have the least complications and the best overall health are the ones that prepared for the surgery by dealing with their food issues AND have an ongoing relationship with their surgeon.

I suspect that you had an "Eureka"! moment and see the VGS as the solution to your problems, but I fear that your quick jump to surgery to control what is disordered eating will cause potential problems for you. If you don't understand why you over eat and how you rely on food to deal with emotions having the sleeve surgery can put you at risk for serious complications. What medical doctor is going to help you if you have a leak or other problem post surgery? Are you going to be a compliant patient and eat the foods that your doctor recommends? When you have a "bad" day how will you cope if you can no longer use food to sooth your emotional pain?

I'm not saying the sleeve won't help you. I'm suggesting that a slower preparation and understanding of your eating issues will ensure you will be successful and happy with the end results.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Have you asked yourself these questions--

Why am I in such a hurry to do this RIGHT NOW?

Do I really understand that the sleeve will not stop my hunger and cravings?

Don't I owe it to myself to give myself the best possible outcome by preparing myself for a major surgery like this by doing more research and examining my emotional relationship with food?

Good luck with your final decision. Please let us know how your are doing.

Sounds a bit scary to me! Id do much more research on where your going and the Dr. And sshospital! All of it --- you need ro prepare and research a bit more in my opinion, but that's just me. I need details and reassurance. Good luck to you.

Edited by BarntruckCutie

Hi All,

This is my first post,

My surgery is in less than a week, I don't know my surgeon, I don't know the country, I have not had any tests, I'll be alone..

Am I crazy to do it?

So I'm 45, struggled with my weight and my relationship to food all my life, my BMI is "only" 33, but my eating is out of control and l know I need help, otherwise I'll be miserable for the rest of my life. I don't want to wait for all the serious medical problems to start..

I live in London, England and decided to have the sleeve done about 3 weeks ago, after doing a little research. I would have gone for the mini gastric bypass, but not a lot of doctors do it yet.

Anyway, despite of what people think, I could find no-one to do more than a "balloon" in my stomach, because I'm not morbidly obese.

So I found a surgeon in Amman, JORDAN!!!! Yes, he will do it! I did do a little research into it and the Middle East seems quite advanced when it comes to these type of surgeries. But I do know that most people would no way consider going to an Arab country for surgery. I will be going alone, my pre-op appointment and tests are the day before surgery. I don't need to go on any pre-op diet, in fact in the last 2 weeks I have put on about 10 pounds, just eating things I will never be able to eat again. I will leave hospital the day after surgery and 2 days later fly back to London, it's a 5 and half hour flight.

I have done some crazy things in my life, recently, in January I successfully climbed Kilimanjaro, but reading all the posts here and seeing just how much preparation and thought goes into some people's weight loss journey, it puts a little doubt in my mind...

Any thoughts on this?

Any suggestions?

Any tips?

Thanks

Hi Lambada, I heard the doctor in those countries are very good, kind and looking well after their patients. I hope your doctor is one of them and a good support for the,beginning of your new life. I don't know much about my doctor either, but he speaks my language at least. All the reviews are ok but you know we are all so different. I wish you all the best on your journey and good luck on becoming a 'big loser'.

Thank you guys, thank you all for your advise, especially when it comes to dealing with the "why I overeat" issue.

This was my thinking initially...

I've struggled with the weight all my life, I went on lots of diets and lost lots of weight, and put it all back again when I stopped smoking or hurt my foot or whatever the reason was. The last time I started putting on so much weight was when I last stopped smoking, my doctor practically begged me to stop, I was having chest infections every month just because of the smoking. I knew I couldn't get away with it any more. But at the moment I'm so unhappy, and so uncomfortable with my weight (and I seriously believe this is the only area of my life I am unhappy with..) that I would rather smoke than be like this.

I have raised 2 great kids, I have a worried, but supporting loving boyfriend, I have a great carrier, I am happy with my spiritual journey in life, I'm ok financially, and I have lots of loving people around me. This weight issue, I just cannot get a handle on.

I admit I did think that the sleeve surgery would help with my appetite and to be in control of my eating... If it doesn't how do others do it?

I will take on board the concerns about the psychological issues.. and I will seek some professional counselling or something, though I normally "use" my friends and family for talking things through. But I do think you have a good point there.

The only reason I cannot really do this in this occasion is because most people around me have a healthy attitude to food and they don't understand why I can't just stop eating when I'm full as they do.

LivingFree, you asked me why the hurry? Well, it's simply because I'm so unhappy and so fed up with trying to go on another diet and feeling like a failure again. And also I'm rapidly putting on weight. :-( But maybe I'm also one of those impulsive people, and yes, I did get in trouble a few times because of this.

When I considered this option, I thought that the risk of doing the operation is less than the risk of not doing it.. and I'm sure most would agree with me on this. I also did do a lot of research, my goodness I'm an expert on statistics on the various WSL now. I'm an accountant and I have read through many medical studies and papers and the odds seem good.

I now stopped my favourite activities, such as dancing salsa and playing tennis and cycling etc.. because I don't want my friends to see me like this... but once I loose a bit I'm going back to doing all this and hopefully I will not need to turn to food because I will be active again.

Anyway, I think this time I will be a bit of a guinea pig, whatever happens I will report back on it. ;-)

I have a strong and positive feeling about this and I have learnt in the last few years to trust my instinct. Still worried though of course :-).. my main worries are that the doctor will not operate on me or that something might go wrong.. fingers crossed it will all be fine.

Thank you so much, just to write all this down helps and of course reading so many success stories is also encouraging..

Good luck and come back with great results! Look after yourself!

Good luck and come back with great results! Look after yourself!

thank you!!! :-)

I suggest you check out the blog of queenofcrop.com ---she had her surgery pretty quickly after deciding to do WLS.

I'm reading this right now and it's really encouraging ! Thank you Shellie!