Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the sleeve safe long term?

Surgeons have been doing total and partial gastrectomies on cancer and ulcer patients for well over a hundred years. With proper Vitamin supplementation and diet, there is no reason a complication-free VSG would shorten your life. But obesity-related comorbidities certainly could.

My husband had most of his stomach removed in 2004 due to cancer. He is very thin but never big to begin with. He is anemic and needs Vitamins. His surgeon told us then that people can live without any stomach,, the intestines will do the work. The doctor has never worried about his weight.

My grandmother lost 2/3 of her stomach to cancer when she was in her late 40's. She died at 88 and never had any issues related to her stomach.

My grandfather had most of his stomach removed many many years ago d/t a bleed... He's still kicking (healthy besides his unrelated COPD) at the young age of 91--- I swear he'll outlive us all.

My grandfather had most of his stomach removed many many years ago d/t a bleed... He's still kicking (healthy besides his unrelated COPD) at the young age of 91--- I swear he'll outlive us all.

Thank you I feel better now !

Surgeons have been doing total and partial gastrectomies on cancer and ulcer patients for well over a hundred years. With proper Vitamin supplementation and diet, there is no reason a complication-free VSG would shorten your life. But obesity-related comorbidities certainly could.

Thank you! I'm just one of those people who thinks long term but I'm 40 now lol so let's do this!

thanks everyone I feel so much better! I need this I need a change, I can't keep the weight off after losing! I'm tired of it! I weigh 242lvd, I'm 5'2 and I'm 49 yrs old and very healthy at this time besides the weight!

thanks everyone I feel so much better! I need this I need a change, I can't keep the weight off after losing! I'm tired of it! Im female, I weigh 242 lbs I'm 5'2 and I'm 40 yrs old and very healthy at this time besides the weight!

Thanks everyone I appreciate you all being so sweet , caring and understanding,, I rubbed some people the wrong way with some questions already but ... Well I had a thought..

Why are lots of peoples Tummy's so Sensitive post op? I understand you just had surgery .. I hear some people say they can't "tolerate " things like salad and eggs and chicken months out so they done eat it..Isn't the surgery supposed to make your tummy SMALLER but NOT DIFFERENT?? Just asking and please don't bash me I am only curious I'm not being negative! Im most likely having the sleeve done and it was confusing how some people are do sensitive now! Any answers are greatly appreciated !

Have you watched a video of the surgery yet?

If not, you might like to get up-close-and-personal with what happens to your poor little tummy during surgery.

Here's a 7 1/2 minute video for you.

(Others may have other vids they think are better.)

Thanks everyone I appreciate you all being so sweet , caring and understanding,, I rubbed some people the wrong way with some questions already but ... Well I had a thought..

Why are lots of peoples Tummy's so Sensitive post op? I understand you just had surgery .. I hear some people say they can't "tolerate " things like salad and eggs and chicken months out so they done eat it..Isn't the surgery supposed to make your tummy SMALLER but NOT DIFFERENT?? Just asking and please don't bash me I am only curious I'm not being negative! Im most likely having the sleeve done and it was confusing how some people are do sensitive now! Any answers are greatly appreciated !

I was sleeved one year ago July 11th. I have to say I am one who has no issues with anything. Nothing bothers me. My mom says it is my German stomach. Lol. She is 86. I do stick to protien and veggies. I do no more than 60 carbs a day. Sometimes sweet things can make me fill icky for a bit. Like I will eat low carb ice cream if I'm craving a sweet or sugar free candy. I have really kicked my carb addiction. I also had to have my gallbladder removed due to rapid weight loss and nothing seems differant. Since I do low carb I still eat fat. It keeps me satisfied like cheese. I do totally stay away from anything fried. So I just wanted you to know nothing seems to bother me. Good luck with your surgery and what you choose.

Hi everyone! I'm new here.

I really would like to have the sleeve done. I'm 5''4" and weigh 232 lbs. BMI 40 with no comorbidities should I have the surgery? I'm torn because I think I could hunker down with a low fat diet and exercise and get to 200. But then Id still have 55 lbs to lose. I'm starting the options class in sept at kaiser woodland hills, Ca. I will see how it goes. The surgery is so drastic and just wondered if anyone else felt this way. Like if I got my head in the game I could really lose the 87 pounds without the sleeve, but then again I've tried so many diets and lost 20 or more and gained it back. I get so discouraged having so much to lose. With this tool it would force me to eat less and give me more motivation seeing the pounds come off quicker.. I just don't want to regret it. Anyone pls share, would you do it all over again or not? Should I go for it?

Thx for your time reading this..your responses would be helpful in deciding since I'm on the fence..

Want2besleeved