Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the sleeve safe long term?

I am a bit confused about the sleeve being safe in the long run or not. I hear that the sleeve has been used for other procedures aside from weight loss but then I read something from an established research institution saying there is no long-term (more than 5 years) available on the sleeve (I linked an example at the bottom). Can anyone explain these inconsistancies? http://fitprogram.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=43

Sleevedup.... Thanks so much for this great informative read! When making such a life changing decision, one could never have enough information:) I opt for vsg hands down but of course, it's my own personal decision and opinion.

Your welcome waitingtoexhale! I am still doing research on gastrectomies performed on patients for ulcers/cancer. As mentioned before, there is older data on these sets of people. My concern is the long-term lifelong effects of having a gastrectomy. I found one longitudinal study, which I have linked if anyone is curious.

1) Title: A gastrectomy population: 25-30 years on.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2429611/?page=1

Thank you very much for that posting Sleeved up. It is right by me and I'm just over 2.5 years out.

Your welcome waitingtoexhale! I am still doing research on gastrectomies performed on patients for ulcers/cancer. As mentioned before, there is older data on these sets of people. My concern is the long-term lifelong effects of having a gastrectomy. I found one longitudinal study, which I have linked if anyone is curious. 1) Title: A gastrectomy population: 25-30 years on. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2429611/?page=1

Thanks for posting. It is a little worrisome with regards to the Vitamin deficiences and the increase in those over time.

sleevedup,

Thank you so much for that link to the 1990 follow-up study of middle-aged British patients who underwent a gastrectomy (mostly due to stomach ulceration) between 1955-1960. You're a great researcher. I appreciate the fruits of your research.

The study's most interesting findings were that the patients suffered deficiencies of Iron, B12, and Vitamin D (associated with osteoporosis). One should review the study to understand it much better than these few keystrokes suggest about the outcomes.

However, my major thoughts about this study and the patients studied has to do with the quality and variety of food, eating habits, nutritional follow-up and lifestyles (including smoking habits) of typical middle-aged Brits 10-15 years after the end of World War II. Compared to environmental and nutritional conditions today in the UK, the US and other developed countries, those earlier patients' environmental, nutritional and behavioral factors were abysmal.

Today, VSG patients' food supplies, Vitamin therapy, ready and attentive medical care and (if one minds one's nutrition well) our opportunities to live healthy lives are (in my judgment) considerably more favorable than those of the patients in the 1990 study.

Yes, I'm putting a positive interpretation on these findings (compared to my own prospects as a VSG patient). But I certainly do not equate my own future outlook as a VSG patient with the experiences and outcomes of the 1990 study's patients who were operated on 60 years ago.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

sleevedup,

Thank you so much for that link to the 1990 follow-up study of middle-aged British patients who underwent a gastrectomy (mostly due to stomach ulceration) between 1955-1960. You're a great researcher. I appreciate the fruits of your research.

The study's most interesting findings were that the patients suffered deficiencies of Iron, B12, and Vitamin D (associated with osteoporosis). One should review the study to understand it much better than these few keystrokes suggest about the outcomes.

However, my major thoughts about this study and the patients studied has to do with the quality and variety of food, eating habits, nutritional follow-up and lifestyles (including smoking habits) of typical middle-aged Brits 10-15 years after the end of World War II. Compared to environmental and nutritional conditions today in the UK, the US and other developed countries, those earlier patients' environmental, nutritional and behavioral factors were abysmal.

Today, VSG patients' food supplies, Vitamin therapy, ready and attentive medical care and (if one minds one's nutrition well) our opportunities to live healthy lives are (in my judgment) considerably more favorable than those of the patients in the 1990 study.

Yes, I'm putting a positive interpretation on these findings (compared to my own prospects as a VSG patient). But I certainly do not equate my own future outlook as a VSG patient with the experiences and outcomes of the 1990 study's patients who were operated on 60 years ago.

You're right. These long term studies were done several decades ago on individuals that were HIGHLY unlikely to have been taking supplements. It's studies like this that show us what and why we need to be taking supplements postop. Eating healthy, Daily/weekly supplements and annual bloodwork are very easy things to avoid the deficiencies seen in previous gastrectomy patients. I am actually thrilled with knowing my health will be much more closely monitored than if I had never had VSG.

I am going to have my sleeve surgery probably in October. I got a referral from my cardiologist as I have had 5 heart attacks since 2010. The heart doctor said I need to lose this weight to take strain off my heart. I'd be lying to say I'm not scared, but I know it will be for the best.

I guess I'm writing this here looking for encouragement. Any input from a fellow sleever will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sincerely

Farmboynvabch

I am going to have my sleeve surgery probably in October. I got a referral from my cardiologist as I have had 5 heart attacks since 2010. The heart doctor said I need to lose this weight to take strain off my heart. I'd be lying to say I'm not scared, but I know it will be for the best.

I guess I'm writing this here looking for encouragement. Any input from a fellow sleever will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sincerely

Farmboynvabch

Welcome! I am pre-op and hoping to have gastric sleeve surgery in either late September or in October. My friend has heart problems, and she also has been encouraged to have this surgery to take the strain off her heart. Sounds this might really help you! Best wishes!

I am going to have my sleeve surgery probably in October. I got a referral from my cardiologist as I have had 5 heart attacks since 2010. The heart doctor said I need to lose this weight to take strain off my heart. I'd be lying to say I'm not scared, but I know it will be for the best. I guess I'm writing this here looking for encouragement. Any input from a fellow sleever will be greatly appreciated. Thank you Sincerely Farmboynvabch

I had to have the sleeve not just because of my weight but because I have liver disease. Cirrhosis stage 4. So to get on the transplant list I have to have a BMI of 40 or less. Meaning I have to loose 180 lbs. sleeved July 18th and have lost 35 lbs to date. Am in the real food stage and it's not coming off. Was loosing a pound a day. Now not so much. I keep getting headaches which I've never had before. One person on the forum said drink more Water. My liver disease has been going on for 10 years and called AIH. Jumped to stage 4 and didn't know I went thru stage 1-3. That's another story. So this surgery will hopefully help both of us. Good luck to you and the surgery isn't as bad as it sounds. The first three days are the roughest because it was a surgery. After that passes follow your drs instructions to the letter. And drink your Water. Good luck to you. Sincerely Debra (Dabberdoo)

I had to have the sleeve not just because of my weight but because I have liver disease. Cirrhosis stage 4. So to get on the transplant list I have to have a BMI of 40 or less. Meaning I have to loose 180 lbs. sleeved July 18th and have lost 35 lbs to date. Am in the real food stage and it's not coming off. Was loosing a pound a day. Now not so much. I keep getting headaches which I've never had before. One person on the forum said drink more Water. My liver disease has been going on for 10 years and called AIH. Jumped to stage 4 and didn't know I went thru stage 1-3. That's another story. So this surgery will hopefully help both of us. Good luck to you and the surgery isn't as bad as it sounds. The first three days are the roughest because it was a surgery. After that passes follow your drs instructions to the letter. And drink your water. Good luck to you. Sincerely Debra (Dabberdoo)

This is really good to read especially when you're 27 and had this surgery 6 days ago :)

Think about it: if the biggest things you have to worry about is Iron, Vit D, issues, those can be solved by taking some sort of supplement or watching the diet. Iron pills and infusions are here.

Think about obesity: cancer rates higher, hypertension, diabetes (and all of its deals).

Which one do you want to either live with or die by?

Check out those of us with complications. I'm not the only one who would say get the surgery.

I do want to make a plug that a recent study (and I need to find it) is that by year 2 people stop taking Vitamins but another study also said you get enough food in at year 2. Wouldn't it be better just to have your testing done by a PCP and adjust your food/supplements accordingly?

Face it: with every surgery there can be issues. These are now safer than hip replacement, but you need to do your own homework. Research. Ask some major tough questions of the doctors.

Most of all, I had an eye doc who gave us his worst case: lawsuit, only one he had. I read it and researched it at the court house. Wasn't docs fault. I had some issues and the care was EXEMPLARY. Any problems, they fix them. I dont ask for free care either.

I was thinking the same thing, on how long we can live. I want to live long enough to be a grandmother n enjoy my grandchildren. Thank you everyone this makes me feel so much better.

Thanks! This is very reassuring as this is exactly what my mom was worried about! She supports my decision 110% even though she worries. That's what moms are supposed to do.