Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BariatricPal Local Support Chapters has Officially Launched!

Hi!

We have an exciting announcement to make! BariatricPal is starting an in-person support group program called BariatricPal Local Chapters! That’s right – BariatricPal is no longer going to be just online. Members can now participate in in-person support group meetings nearby where you live!

This post is dedicated to explaining BariatricPal Local Chapters.

• Why Is BariatricPal Local Chapters Starting?
  • How BariatricPal Local Chapters Works
  • List of Scheduled Meetings – One May Be in Your Area!
  • Be a Local Chapters Leader!
  • Spread the Word About BariatricPal!

I want to reassure you that the online part of BariatricPal will all stay the same, so you do not need to worry about losing any of the support that you depend on and love. There is plenty more information on BariatricPal in the Local Chapters discussion forum. Check it out!

I am very exciting about this new stage in BariatricPal’s history, and I hope you are, too! Thank you for making it possible, since without the unbelievable support of BariatricPal members, projects like this would be unimaginable.

Why Is BariatricPal Local Chapters Starting?

To support your efforts at following a healthy lifestyle! You are more likely to achieve your weight loss goal when you have enough support. The online forums at BariatricPal can play a significant role in supporting you through your journey. Thousands of you visit the site daily. You depend on each other for information and encouragement, and have made some close friendships.

As BariatricPal continues to grow, I am starting BariatricPal Local Chapters to better serve our weight loss surgery community. Local Chapters groups will meet in-person several times a year to increase the amount of weight loss surgery support that you can receive. The groups provide BariatricPal members with the chance to meet members who live nearby. Having this extra support can propel your weight loss!

How BariatricPal Local Chapters Works

Each BariatricPal Local Chapter is led by a Leader and includes BariatricPal members who live nearby and want to attend meetings. Leaders are BariatricPal members who volunteer to organize and direct meetings. Meetings are held several times a year, with the exact times and locations determined by the Leader with input from members.

Each meeting includes time for questions and discussion, as well as a main activity, which can be one of the following:

• Guided discussion on an important topic such as nutrition, support from family and friends, weight loss surgery complications, and choosing a surgeon
  • Cooking demonstration or recipe sharing
  • Hands-on activities such as meal planning and tracking
  • Clothing swaps
  • Grocery store tours or group walks
  • Presentation by a guest speaker, such as a bariatric surgeon, nutritionist, or skin removal surgeon

The meeting atmosphere is positive and supportive. All members of the weight loss surgery community are welcome, whether you are first considering weight loss surgery or are already a veteran. Come to make friends, ask questions, and share advice. Just like on BariatricPal, courtesy and respect are mandatory at Local Chapters meetings. Don't forget that you can get more information on Local Chapters at BariatricPal.

Coming Soon…A Meeting Near You?

The first seven Local Chapters groups have already scheduled their first meetings! See whether you can make it to any of these meetings. PM the group Leader or post to the appropriate local chapter forum for more information if you think you might be interested in joining the group. We have another 15-20 local chapters currently working out logistics. Check our Local Chapters forum for updates.

Be a Local Chapters Leader!

If you want to attend BariatricPal Local Chapters meetings but do not see a meeting in your area, consider becoming a Leader and starting your own BariatricPal Local Chapters group! You do not need to be an expert on weight loss surgery or have any experience in leading group meetings. If you have the following characteristics, you might have what it takes to be a great leader!

• Enthusiasm and passion for weight loss surgery as a tool to fight obesity
  • Love to help others and make them feel comfortable
  • Friendly and inclusive
  • Willing to keep discussion on topic
  • Able to commit to leading regular meetings at which members depend on you
  • A good organizer and communicator

BariatricPal will provide the support you need to be a Leader, including training and certification, materials necessary to get started, and suggested meeting agendas for you to follow. Please contact us if you're interested.

Spread the Word About BariatricPal!

Finally, I would like to personally ask you to do me a favor. I have spoken with many weight loss surgery patients, surgeons and staff over the years, and found that many of them are not aware of our community! One bariatric surgeon recently suggested that we create fliers to be distributed in a number of ways.

• Clinic waiting rooms and exam rooms
  • Pre-surgery and post-surgery informational packets
  • Handouts at support group meetings

The next time you have an appointment scheduled with your weight loss surgeon or physician, please consider leaving one or several fliers in the office so that they can be hung up on a bulletin board or handed out to patients. The fliers are already designed, so all you have to do is go to BariatricPal to print them.

By spreading the word about BariatricPal, you can give back and help others. Thank you in advance for your help.

I cannot wait to watch the growth of BariatricPal Local Chapters. This is a wonderful opportunity for even better support on your weight loss journey, and I thank you for making it possible!

I would like to become a leader in my area for a local chapter. How do i get started??

Congratulations! This will be so helpful for so many people. I wish I was in a larger city so I could attend or lead one. Maybe when I move next year. In the meantime, I can surely hand out fliers and help spread the word.

I would like to become a leader in my area for a local chapter. How do i get started??

I'll PM you with more info.

I to would like to become a leader in my area for a local chapter. I have discussed this with the head bariatric nurse at Integris Okc. How do i get started??

Hi Alex - this is where the link needs to be corrected for St. Louis, MO. If you click on it, it takes you to Denver, CO.

Thanks!

Joan

I to would like to become a leader in my area for a local chapter. I have discussed this with the head bariatric nurse at Integris Okc. How do i get started??

I just sent you a PM, thanks!

I cannot see how to create a group or a HELP option? Can you direct me?

I cannot see how to create a group or a HELP option? Can you direct me?

Just sent you a PM with further info. Thanks!!

I was trying to figure out how to create a group within bariatric pal for people with surgery dates in November for gastric sleeve not be a leader for a local chapter. I see people creating special groups but I have no idea how to do it and I can't find a help option on the website?

I was trying to figure out how to create a group within bariatric pal for people with surgery dates in November for gastric sleeve not be a leader for a local chapter. I see people creating special groups but I have no idea how to do it and I can't find a help option on the website?

You can visit http://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/406-monthly-gastric-sleeve-surgery-support-groups/ and create a new topic within that forum.

I'd like to see if there's anything in New York City, but I don't know where to look.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/304888-ny-nyclong-island/

R there any in nj

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/303348-nj/

I just signed up to start a local chapter in southeast texas. Can I get more information on how to get started? I have never done anything like this before but believe it would be greatly beneficial and I may be able to get my surgeons office involved. Please let me know what I need to do!