Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone starting their journey in San Diego Kaiser?

I have begun the process of the Bariatric Sleeve with Kaiser in San Diego. I went for my orientation and just completed my blood testing and my EKG this week. I am super excited to get this started as I have been doing the up and down dieting for 10 years now. I am 34 5'2" and weight 237, I am wondering if anyone is starting with Kaiser San Diego and we can move through this as a team and help each other out!

I love that you're reaching out to find other Kaiser SD patients to partner up with. I'm at Kaiser's Inland Empire Bari Program. I know they're all operated a little differently, but my wish for you is that you enjoy the totally awsome care like I have received (and continue to receive) in the past three years at Kaiser. (I actually had my surgery at Scripps Mercy down there in SD--Kaiser contracted with them back then, but not any more).

Do you have 12 weeks of pre-op prep classes you have to attend next?

Good luck as you move through your new adventure. Even though it can sometimes get overwhelming, it still also CAN be fun! And what a reward to come. . .

Thank you for reaching out! I am just starting this process, as soon as they get my test results back them I go see the doctor and start the classes. Here in SD the classes are 6 months, long but worth it in the end! Kaiser SD still does the surgeries at Scripps-Mercy so I will have mine there! Im excited to start a new me and get healthy mentally and physically for a much better future.

I don't see many people on here for Kaiser SD so I thought Id reach out and see if there were any here and at the same pint that I am at. I appreciate the support!

Hi there!! Im in San Diego also and I finished up my classes on May 1st and I'm meeting Pacific Bariatric on Wednesday to meet my surgeon and the shrink!! Im very excited - the Kaiser process is kinda long, but it actually goes by pretty quick. Let me know if you have any questions!!

Im so excited for you!!! Im so glad someone is in San Diego and has Kaiser! I was thinking the classes would go by fast and from what I understand they are pretty educational and most people seemed to like them. Let me know how the Shrink visit and the surgeon visit go I'm curious what the shrink asks!

Amanda

The classes are informational depending on who your teacher is...let me know who you get!! My teacher seemed to have a certain belief that anyone who is overweight has some deep childhood issues that made them that way, but a bunch of us in the class just couldn't get her to see that maybe we just ate too much!!

My teacher also really pushed exercising, which is great and I totally see the need for it, but when you are spending 45 minutes of class exercising, and 30 minutes of catch up going over issues from the last week, then you only have 15 minutes left to cover whats in the book!! But Im just complaining, overall, I feel 1000% prepared for surgery...being on this site and reading about the journeys of other people really helped also!!

My understanding is that talking to the shrink is just like having a conversation with a friend. They mostly want to make sure that you have realistic expectations!!

I totally agree with you, I eat because Im Italian and like to eat and unfortunately make bad eating choices! I don't have a childhood trama and I only blame myself so maybe I will get a teacher that understands that! Im glad you are it through and am super excited for you! I want to see before and after pictures and let me know when the surgery date is.

Good luck!

Hi again Ladies,

I'm the gal from up in the Kaiser San Bernardino County area who had my surgery down there at Scripps Mercy in April 2011. I'm so excited for you guys! Pacific Bariatric, as you probably already know, is a super group of bariatric docs--they really know their stuff. It helps a lot when you know that you can have total confidence that your surgeon has done tons of these surgeries. And--I was treated like royalty while at Scripps! The pre-op education that you get from Kaiser MAY sometimes seem like it's soooo long (and even maybe sometimes a little boring) but please try to remember how lucky we are to HAVE this education. It will make a BIG difference in your long-term success. There are a lot of other bariatric programs out there who do not even begin to prepare their pre-ops nearly as well as Kaiser does. And then, of course there is the aftercare that not many programs offer. I have had the opportunity to attend Kaiser support groups 3 times a month (now it is 4 times a month) for the last three years, and I have attended them all. There's been studies done recently that WLS patients who regularly attend support groups post-surgery sustain more successful weight loss.

Some people get kinda spooked about having to have the psych eval as part of the pre-op process. Photo 925 said it perfectly. Since this is such a life-changing procedure, it's obviously important that the patient is mentally and emotionally equipped to handle and comply with the requirements associated with bariatric surgery.

As far as the teacher's harping about the childhood issues--can I offer my two cents? Maybe what she was trying to focus on is that the root of our screwed-up eating habits that got us into trouble in the first place very often DOES go back to our relationship to food that we developed from a very young age! (i.e., clean your plate; aww-did you get a boo-boo? here's a cupcake to make it all better; I made these Cookies just for you--you better eat more than that; have some more--it's not gonna kill ya, etc, etc). Then, we live our lives and stressor upon stressor happens and we soothe ourselves with food, and well, you know, the rest is history--here we are at bari surgery!

I'd love to read about your progress as you move through the process. All I can say is that you are in great hands!

Lilprincesss - Thank you so very much for the feedback! Yes, all the things mentioned as a child can definitely do that to you, I see that after your explanation. You would never think that would be the case sometimes but it definitely can be! I will definitely keep posting my journey as I just started and I am kind of excited about these classes! I am in counseling already to deal with the issues and make sure I have ALL the tools after surgery to have a lifetime of success!

Thank you for being an inspiration and photo 925 we got this together girl!! Please keep me posted on the surgery the counselor etc.

I just got the call and I meet with Dr. Ray tomorrow! Question? Does he give you the referral for Kaiser to approve it or if he says he approves it does Kaiser say okay? Its moving pretty fast for me already so Im excited about that hopefully it continues!

YEA!!!! Dr Ray is super nice!!! He basically give you the approval to enter into the program and then once that happens, Barbara will put you into a class. I really think that meeting with Dr Ray in the beginning is just a formality. He just goes over any questions that you have and explains the program. He'll go over your medical history (if you have had any surgeries on your abdomen in the past) and then send you through!! If you have made it this far, you're good to go!! I'm excited for tomorrow myself!!! get to finally meet the surgeon!!

Im so excited you are meeting with the surgeon today!!! I want to know how it goes, make sure to write and let me know!! Thanks for the info I am going tonight at 7:30. Talk to you soon

I was approved through Dr. Ray last night!! Im so ready for this! How was your visit with the surgeon last night?

Thats great!!! So now you are just waiting to be put into a class?? or the labs?? I can't remember which was first!!

My surgeon visit had it's good and bad news. The bad news is that I have to wait two more months to move forward and have surgery. The good news it that my surgeon is awesome!!! I had a pulmonary embolism about four months ago and the surgeon wants to wait until my cumadin course is complete before he cuts me open. I was upset, because everything I had been told was that I could move forward, but basically every other doctor was just passing the buck and the surgeon recognized that, so he is taking over all of my care before and after surgery free of charge because he feels like no one is taking responsibility for my care. It made me feel really good about him!! The other visits were easy too, both the shrink and internist passed me through and said Im a great candidate to be very successful, so I just have to wait a little bit more...it suck, but it's just a little bump in the journey!!!

Thats great!!! So now you are just waiting to be put into a class?? or the labs?? I can't remember which was first!!

My surgeon visit had it's good and bad news. The bad news is that I have to wait two more months to move forward and have surgery. The good news it that my surgeon is awesome!!! I had a pulmonary embolism about four months ago and the surgeon wants to wait until my cumadin course is complete before he cuts me open. I was upset, because everything I had been told was that I could move forward, but basically every other doctor was just passing the buck and the surgeon recognized that, so he is taking over all of my care before and after surgery free of charge because he feels like no one is taking responsibility for my care. It made me feel really good about him!! The other visits were easy too, both the shrink and internist passed me through and said Im a great candidate to be very successful, so I just have to wait a little bit more...it suck, but it's just a little bump in the journey!!!

YEAH!! You're almost there and I know it must be hard waiting for a date because you are right there! Im excited for you and Im glad to hear the surgeon is great and the Pysch visit went good. Let me know when your date is.

I already did all of my labs and I met with Dr. Ray, now I am waiting for them to call me to get my class date, I went last Wednesday so I guess I should here back next week maybe. I am not a patient person and I want to start the classes so I think they need to hurry up!

I hope you are feeling better sorry you had to go through the Pulmonary Emolism but Im glad you are better now and on your way!