Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight gain after removal

I had my band removed last year due to slippage. I was only 10lbs from target when it was removed. I started gaining weight pretty quickly... a stone in the first 6 weeks or so and then got pregnant. I've now had my wee boy and he is 3 months old. I have put on 4 and a half stone from when I had band removed and am really struggling. I have tried hard not too regain but it seems to just keep climbing. I don't feel I am overeating and am going to exercise classes during the week. I keep track of my calories and should be losing. It just is not happening. Could this be due to seriously restricted calories for so long? I had a slipped band for a year or so and I was being sick after every meal before getting it removed. It's like my body can't handle food anymore. .. Any suggestions or help at all? Any similar problems? I can't take working this hard with no results. I'm really struggling. Thanks in advance!

I'm surprised there are no replies? I don't see a lot of people having their band removed but it's around 2-4 a month and they come here looking for advice just like yours?

You might wander over to the sleeve forum. Look for the band to sleeve forum?

I pulled up a search for your topic. Look for the search bar, enter the term: band removed and make sure it's searching in the forum section.

Edited by 2muchfun

smacke20 - Being from the US I don't know how much a "stone" is, but any gain is a gain and I know your pain. I am now up 10 pounds. I feel FAT. I walk 3 miles everyday and work out each evening..still up. The doctor told me to relax, that this is normal and it will come back off. Just hang in there and give it time. He is watching to make sure I don't keep going up. I hope you have leveled off on your weight gain by now (sorry for answering so late) but if not, stay active. Walk, swim, workout..whatever it takes. I am eating too much, too large a portions and some wrong things. It is ALL ME and I am the only one who can get it under control, but - that is why I got the band in the 1st place - no control. I guess now, I have no choice but to figure it out..I sure don't want to gain all 124 pounds back..YUCK..

Melinda in Florida

I'm seven months out and up 30 pounds since band removal. I spent almost two years vomiting 90% of what I'd eat, so probably took in about 700 calories a day. My weight loss stopped since I was taking in too little. After the band was out, I'll admit indulged a bit, but got back on the Weight Watchers wagon. Even with counting, tracking, measuring, the weight will not budge. I have no doubt my metabolism is completely screwed up. Still not sure I'd have a second procedure as the complications the last go around we're awful and the whole deal was very expensive.

Does not surprise me.....I was obese because I could not control my eating...diets did not work, anything involving self control, discipline would last only for a short while....

Lap band has nor only taking control of what and how much I can eat, it has also taken away my hunger and cravings,,,,

It has been this way for so long, I began to think it was me doing this...so I asked to have just 1/c cc of saline taken out....it was a Disaster.....totally disrupted that "Perfect" balance, green Zone...my hunger returned, I started to eat more than usual, and gain weight...I immediately went back and had that 1/2 cc put back in 2-3 weeks later...

I say that, because if that is what can happen with just 1/2 cc taken out, I cannot imagine what it would be like if I had my band removed entirely....

I know for sure that it is the band that is in control of everything, and not me at all....people call the band a "Tool"...well, I do not....a tool is something I use and have control over ...with the band it is just the opposite...

Also, I am not a believer in the concept that one does not loose weight because they are eating too little....I have always found the opposite to be true....

Edited by B-52

re: "

Also, I am not a believer in the concept that one does not loose weight because they are eating too little....I have always found the opposite to be true...."

that is my opinion and observation also....

at least when I admit what it is ~I'm~ doing.....

Having the antique 4cc Band, every .1/cc makes a huge difference.

Sometimes I think I'd like it out. Then I look at the reality and the advantages, along with the various minor annoyances.

Even given I have not made it to my goal, and may never get there, the simple fact that the Band, my Symbiant, my 'Little Angel of the Silicon Fist', is somehow on station, and does in fact keep me from that horrid empty sensation and thoughts of food/eating every waking moment.

To have Symbiant removed, for myself, is not a serious option.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yes unfortunately im still gaining, though now i am on self destruct i think...everything i tried wasnt working so ive given up. looking at getting a gastric sleeve preformed as i cant do this on my own. Totally gutted about this and scared it will all go wrong again but not sure what else to do. I cant work that hard to maintain my whole life, maintain at a morbidly obese weight. Hopefully sleeve will serve me better. that or some kind of lobotomy!

Thanks again

Thanks for your pointed comments on your belief that weight loss doesn't plateau when you take in too little. Since I'm clearly no expert - apparently I'm just a fat girl who didn't try hard enough - let me state that I'm repeating what both my WLS and his nutritionist said. Must've been the fact that my hair was falling out, I had sores in my mouth and was covered in bruises from poor nutrition. Per the experts, once your body hits starvation mode, slow to minimal to no weight loss is not uncommon.

RavenClaw..I sure understand that malnutrician thing. I have sores in my mouth and bruises and just weird pains. Still having some of those issues. I thought I was eating better (balance - too much - but balanced) I have actually gained 20 pounds since my revision surgery..I am still have malabsorption issues. I see the surgeon Thursday. This whole thing is so strange..Fluid retention is also a big issue with me right now. Hot in Florida and I am really hanging on to every last drop of Water. 5-7 pounds each day (gained - from AM to PM weight) then I take a Water pill and it all goes away but I hurt all over from carrying that weight..fingers, feet, legs wow..really sucks.