Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band removed today....when should i try solid foods?

So I was banded 5 years ago. I lost 150lbs within the first year and by a year and a half I had removed all of the Fluid from my band. My starting weight was 300.4lbs and I have maintained 150-155lbs ever since initially losing the weight.

A few weeks ago I began feeling very sick and started having trouble keeping anything down. It turned out my band had slipped and was not allowing anything to pass so I would have to throw it up. In turn, I aspirated food into my lungs causing pneumonia. After about a week in the hospital they got the pneumonia under control and decided I should have the band removed. Honestly I had been considering removal for a while anyway because I seem to be managing my weight fine.

Anyways, today was the day. My band is removed and I feel great, I couldn't be happier. My question is, how long should I stay on a liquid diet while I heal? My surgeon didn't give me much info as far as when I could start eating solid foods again. He simply just said to start out on a liquid diet for a while and I didn't think to clarify what he meant by a while....a day...days...a week...weeks!? Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks.

So I was banded 5 years ago. I lost 150lbs within the first year and by a year and a half I had removed all of the Fluid from my band. My starting weight was 300.4lbs and I have maintained 150-155lbs ever since initially losing the weight.

A few weeks ago I began feeling very sick and started having trouble keeping anything down. It turned out my band had slipped and was not allowing anything to pass so I would have to throw it up. In turn, I aspirated food into my lungs causing pneumonia. After about a week in the hospital they got the pneumonia under control and decided I should have the band removed. Honestly I had been considering removal for a while anyway because I seem to be managing my weight fine.

Anyways, today was the day. My band is removed and I feel great, I couldn't be happier. My question is, how long should I stay on a liquid diet while I heal? My surgeon didn't give me much info as far as when I could start eating solid foods again. He simply just said to start out on a liquid diet for a while and I didn't think to clarify what he meant by a while....a day...days...a week...weeks!? Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks.

HI!

I just have time for a quick reply.

I had my band removed in September. I was told to start out with liquids for the first day and then add food as tolerated.

I stayed on mushies for a good week, maybe a little more.

I think everyone's body responds differently, so I suggest listening to your body and going from there.

There is NO rush!!

During recovery, I walked 5 times a day for at least 10 minutes each.

Keep hydrated.

And just ease back into eating when you get the sense.

I have read that some people have stopped for a hamburger on the way home from the hospital after having their band removed!

I pampered my body and gave it time to adjust and relax.

I hope this helps!

Im glad you're feeling great! :)

~hiddn

Atlambros83 - so sorry I haven't answered before now. I hope you are doing well and are on solid foods. My new surgeon did not give me any instructions either - band gone - bye - see ya later...I stayed on liquids for a couple of days, then mushies then food. I had no issues and things have seemed to heal just fine. I have a couple of small problems, but some of that might be Vitamin related. I have gained 10 pounds in the past month and I am working very hard to keep anymore from coming on. I have seen the doctor 3 times since surgery and he is not concerned. He explained that is normal and it will come back off. Just hang in there. I also have an appointment with his Nut to learn how to eat w/o the band. You have done so well maintaining, I am sure you will continue to do great. Hope all is well with you.

Melinda in Florida

My band came out yesterday and I'm sure I'll miss it but it wasn't doing any more justice for me and haven't in 4 years. I was banded 5 years ago and lost a total of 45 lbs. I've had my share of fills and unfillls. coughs, reflux, you name it. The Dr. told my husband to not let me eat any solid food for the next 2 days. So that's what I'll do. Tomorrow I plan to do a couple of Protein Shakes and blend in some strawberries along with more sugar free pudding, Jello, and some thin grits. But I can feel you on being hungry..Good Luck!