Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After over 12 years...time to remove

Hello everyone. I am new here. I have had a love/hate relationship with my band for over 12 years. I went to Mexico back when the lapband wasn't even being done here in the States. I lost my weight (the usual marathon way not the sprint way like other surgeries). I loved my band and the way that it helped me to keep from overeating. I was such a success, that I began to work for my doctor's in Mexico. I helped explain the "in's and out's" of living with the band. was the huge success that everyone looked up to. Only behind the curtain there was something else happening. I always kept myself so tight that I truly wasn't eating, my nutrition was minimal and my tests showed it. I am now at the point where I can eat virtually nothing. I took out all the saline in it about 4 years ago and gained about 40 pounds back. This situation has only complicated things more because now I have restriction as if it is full of saline. My doctor's here in the States are worried about my health, and I have an appointment with a Kaiser General Surgeon on May 30th to see if I can get the lap-band removed. I am excited much like I was when I first had it put in. I am motivated to make the changes I need to take control of my health, exercise, eat right (wow! I'll actually be able to eat again!!), and begin to have a healthier relationship with food again!! While I am excited, I'd like to hear from anyone else here who has had their band removed and how you made it work for you. I'd appreciate it very much. I realize that I may have an adjustment period while my body gets use to actually having it fed regularly again. Thanks for reading everyone. I look forward to any responses.

Wow. I have no advice for you since I've not been in your situation, but I wanted to say I'm sorry you have have this complication and have to lose your band. But it sounds like you'd had a real a-ha moment and that you have a plan in place to keep you weight off. Wishing you the best for your removal, and after.

Thank you parisshel. I am going to do everything I can to keep a good attitude about this. I have loved my band much more than I have hated it. I can still see how much I rely on it to not gain any more weight back. Life is an adventure and we just need to hang on and make the best of things. Thank you for your reply. I was hoping to hear from someone who is months or years out from removal.

I want to let you know that I can kind of relate. I have had my band for 5 1/2 years and have done great as long as my band is tight & I am unable to eat much of anything. Very recently I started having much more problems so I decided to go have a little saline removed. I was told that I have a prolapse & they had to remove ALL of the Fluid from my band to see if the prolapse will correct itself. On one hand I am very fearful of the weight that I could possibly gain back but on the other hand one of my first thoughts (even after being told to stick to fluids only for 2 weeks) was that I want to have a night to just pig out!!! One thing that most surgeons or bariatric clinics don't address is the mental addiction to food that most of us have. Even after years of only minimal food my brain is still an addict! Please keep us posted.

Hi,

I had my Band for 8 years. The first 6 were fine. I lost most of my weight the first 2 years. I got into bad habits of eating soft foods and Soup because I got kinda lazy about preparing the right meals. My weight stayed off. Then about 2 years ago, I had (over a 24 month period) 3 episodes of esphagitis, GERD, heartburn, waking up in the middle of the night choking on stomach fluids (acidic!) Had an esophagram in April: showed pouch dilation and significant reflux.

Had my band removed 4 days ago.

I'm still in pain, but I know that the right decision was made. I look forward to eating normally again; even the healthy stuff like raw carrots and salad. I haven't had a soda in 8 years but I really don't care if I ever have one again. I just like the idea of not having to sleep sitting up and being able to eat normally again.

My advice, which I don't give lightly is: do what is right for your body. Don't suffer silently. At least have the conversation with the surgeon. You will feel better by researching and talking to people who are knowledgeable in the field.

take care,

Jan

Hey JFuller. Hope your appointment went well with your doctor and you got some answers to your problem. Sounds like it has been a bit rough lately. I had my band 2 1/2 years and we got along just fine until this April. I had a major slip and the blood supply was cut off from most of my stomach. I vomited blood for over 24 hours when rescue came and picked me up at work. I had surgery that night and my band was removed. I still have Gastric Sleeve Plication and my doctor said that the scar tissue from my band will act like my band for awhile. Well, in the past month, I have gained a few pounds (11 I thin) but this is OK with me and the doctor. I had got a bit malnurouished and now I have B12 and B1 injections every week to rebuild. I am also starting a new relationship with food. With this sleeve, I can eat differently, but I have to eat wisely and I am just not there yet. I have return to exercising and I feel so much better. I really didn't know my band was making me sick until is made me very sick. Take care and keep us posted on your progress. I really understand..this journey is tough too...

Melinda in Florida

Hi Short and Chunky, just wondering if ...in hindsight, which is 20/20.... Were there issues you were having that you overlooked until severe damage was done? I ask because at over 2 years out and at goal with the band, I am always trying to be aware of what my band -- and really would not like to through what happened to you. That is so, so scary.

Hey JFuller. Hope your appointment went well with your doctor and you got some answers to your problem. Sounds like it has been a bit rough lately. I had my band 2 1/2 years and we got along just fine until this April. I had a major slip and the blood supply was cut off from most of my stomach. I vomited blood for over 24 hours when rescue came and picked me up at work. I had surgery that night and my band was removed. I still have Gastric Sleeve Plication and my doctor said that the scar tissue from my band will act like my band for awhile. Well, in the past month, I have gained a few pounds (11 I thin) but this is OK with me and the doctor. I had got a bit malnurouished and now I have B12 and B1 injections every week to rebuild. I am also starting a new relationship with food. With this sleeve, I can eat differently, but I have to eat wisely and I am just not there yet. I have return to exercising and I feel so much better. I really didn't know my band was making me sick until is made me very sick. Take care and keep us posted on your progress. I really understand..this journey is tough too... Melinda in Florida