Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hernia repair/tummy tuck

Just wondering if anyone has been through a hernia repair/ Tummy Tuck at the same time. I have a consult this week and am nervously excited. I have lost 148 lbs and have 2 large lower abdominal hernias to be fixed.

I was wondering the same thing as you I have a large 7 cm umbilical hernia and could possibly need a Tummy Tuck and was wondering if they can be done togeather I have appointment in July for this to be reviewed.

Please let me know how your situation goes!

Before I gained my excess weight (but after babies), I did have a Tummy Tuck and hernia repair. There are many sites that talk about the surgery...I'm afraid I don't have anything to compare it to because it was my only big abdominal surgery (before now--just got approved--hooray!)

Do you ahvea specific question? They can be done together, with coordination by the different surgeons (general surgeon for hernia repair and plastic surgeon for abdominoplasty). Hope that helps.

The two procedures are very commonly done together, and this is a common way for people to get partial insurance coverage for their TT's - the hernia repair can pay for a good part of the OR, hospital and anesthesia overhead cost while the patient self pays the delta cost for the TT. I had an umbilical hernia (that was non-symptomatic, but the plastics guy could identify it,) and an inquinal hernia (the 'turn your head and cough' type for us guys...) that were both repaired along with the TT.

I had an umbilical hernia done - Twice actually as No1 didn't work (they do say it can split right by the suture line - Second time I had it done with mesh)

Anyways - When you have a TT they stitch the stomach muscles together with permanent sutures. This is very similar to a hernia repair. So as said above - They very commonly do this with a TT as they are already in that area and doing a similar thing.

This is why - When I did go on to have my own TT 3yrs later - They didn't touch my belly muscles as they were all meshed up (lol)

So I am assuming that a TT and hernia repair at same time would - For the patient - Feel very much the same as a TT with muscle repair (But obviously I don't know this 100% as mine were done separately)

Edited by Scamp

Thank you all for the info! It is appreciated.

Thanks everyone. I have a consult with my surgeon on Thursday. Will let you know what he says.

Thanks everyone. I have a consult with my surgeon on Thursday. Will let you know what he says.

Keep us up to date. I will be having this done next year. Love to hear what your Dr. says.

I have been approved for my double hernia repair and tummy tuck!!! Insurance will cover the skin removal too. Can't believe it! I am nervous as heck though. My date is July 11th.