Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ketosis and Blood Sugars for the Diabetic

I am a type 2 diabetic since 1990 (recently confirmed still 2 not 1). I had a sleeve last November lost 52 lbs mostly by sticking with low carb Gary Taubes type diet. I've been in and out of ketosis and the only reason I go out is because my blood sugar readings sky rocket in ketosis. i verified with many it is the case. Understanding why is way over my head science wise and I can't follow it. When I can control my sugar and just eat enough to keep me out my morning readings on very little insulin are 90-100. But in Ketosis like now I take 4-5 times the insulin and my sugars are up 150-200 sometimes. I shoot up to lower them. I'm eating not much at all mostly Protein and fat. My weight loss is stalled and even went up while in ketosis a bit. But that could be my thyroid meds need adjusting. Taubes says and i concur eating an apple is fructose not good for us sugar addicts. It is easier to stay in ketosis never worry about being hungry. Everything you try to read on this is very deep in science. I understand type 1's have difficult time in Ketosis. So I verified I am a two, and c peptide showed I am. Does anyone have experience with this long term? Will it eventually stabilize? I used to freak out and go out of ketosis, then I binged ( that sleeve doesn't work long) a few times and man my weight went up QUICK!. I wanna stay in Ketosis its so easy to do daily. But I also wanna see those numbers normal again. Also I slowed way down on exercise but now can start again. Seems my BS lower to with weight training and some cardio. Sorry for rambling appreciate any experience on this subject.

How much weight (Body Fat) have you lost, and how much do you have to go.....

I'm a Lap bander, Type 2, took daily injections plus oral meds....my blood levels where all over the place, totally out of control...as well as all my other blood values. everything was a mess....

As my weight went down, so did my need for insulin....presently I am at a normal weight and have a very low body fat%..

I get Lab work done every 4 months, and for over 2 years now everything is perfect right down the middle....I do not take any more insulin or meds for my Diabetes...I no longer see an Endo...just my PCP who orders the lab work....

Both my Brother and Sister died at a early age from the complications that come with diabetes....my sister was the worse, a textbook case as to what can go bad, Very Bad... with diabetes out of control...not very pretty. Sometimes when I don't feel like working out, I think of her....that gets me going....

BTW, they were both morbidly obese....and so was I...I started to develop signs of the the same complications...my PCP said loose weight or else!....I could not diet successfully, so as a last resort, I had this surgery....

I do not and never have counted calories, so I can't help you there...all I can say is because of my surgery, I eat very, very little...I exercise a lot, which together led me to 100% weight loss and very little body fat....

That is my experience with surgery and diabetes.

Edited by B-52

Tony, I'm at a loss just as you are. Have you tried fat-fasting for 2-3 days?

I have't any advice to offer but can tell you I find myself very frustrated with my progress on a ketogenic diet. I have been working out fait fully swinging kettle bells (300 a day swing challenge), eliminated carbs (less than 25g/day), drink my Water, ea meats and veggies and am never ever hungry....making it even more difficult to eat. I have not be diagnosed as diabetic but my morning blood sugar readings are 110 and this is first thing in the morning when I have't eaten for 12+hrs. I am not losing any weight, in fact I have regained 2 lbs of the 10 lbs I lost and now have stalled for two weeks not losing anything despite working out and staying in ketosis.

What am I to do about the increasing blood sugar readings? Why can't I lose weight? Its all very frustrating.

You may be chronically eating too low of a carb amount and subsequently your body is breaking down proteins(from both your diet and your muscle) to use for glucose. Remember that blood glucose does not only come from what you eat, but also can be raised by your liver in times of shortage. Counter regulatory hormones from stress will also raise blood sugar, despite a low carb intake. You may be seeing the higher blood sugars when you are in ketosis because of the metabolic change your diet is creating. Try increasing carb intake from only whole, plant based sources. Lastly, extreme low carb diets don't seem to have long term data about weight loss, but definately work for a time.