Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smell and Taste? Did yours change?

I found this interesting. As I have always had a very keen sense of smell anyway it only increased my objection to certain foods after VSG.

Weight Loss Surgery May Change Sense of Taste and Smell April 25, 2014

Weight loss surgery patients reported a change in their sense of taste and smell, according to a recent study conducted with 103 British patients.

The patients all underwent Roux-en-Y (RNY) gastric bypass surgery.

Forty-two percent of patients reported a change in their sense of smell after surgery. Seventy-three percent reported a change in their sense of taste.

In addition to change in taste, patients reported development of a dislike of food they previously enjoyed while others reported a new aversion to some food.

Researchers also found that patients who developed a change in taste and smell, or aversion to foods lost an average of eighteen more pounds than those patients who reported no changes to their senses.

However, the study does not indicate a direct cause and effect, the results could be due to other factors.

Did you experience changes to your senses after surgery?

Source: Preidt, R. (2014, April 18). Weight-loss surgery alters sense of taste and smell, study finds. Retrieved from CBS News: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/weight-loss-surgery-alters-sense-of-taste-and-smell-study-finds/

Maybe its too soon for me to speak on this but I was sleeved April 16th, 2 weeks post op tomorrow and my taste and smell has not changed.

I'm 4 weeks post, and yes. Everything is too sweet, and I noticed it almost immediatly that medication that I have been on for years, now as soon as I put them in my mouth, I taste them, this was not the case before, but it's really great to know that people who experience the change tend to lose more weight, I'm all for that, haha..

I don't think my smell has changed but my taste has.

Im 3 weeks out and my smell is the same...i have not really ate anything to tell if my taste has!!

I was a lover of premier choc Protein since being sleeved i hate it!! I am now a lover of premier vanilla protein shake....i found that odd cause i absolutely love everything chocolate!!

YES! I was "sleeved" on Dec 11 2013... and almost right away I noticed a change - I have always had keen sense of smell - but now... it’s crazy... and my sense of taste... holy craziness!

I use to LOVE bacon, pork chops, HAM… they use to be my very own food group… NOT anymore! Even tap water… I can taste the chemicals, so I do bottled (sigh)…

Really anything that has been processed has a funny chemical taste to me… like Pasta, bread etc… I can taste the flour and salt etc… CAKES… omg they are disgusting now, they are just grossly sweet… its really helped with my weight loss… because foods that I would “go to” are no longer appealing to me. I have lost 73lbs in 4 months… I don’t know if I would have, had it not been for my taste buds being completely different…

I noticed it post-op, but things eventually returned more to normal for me. Of course, long-term, simply changing what you eat will cause your taste-buds to gradually adjust as well, so some things I use to enjoy are still too sweet, but I chalk that up to a change of eating habits. I'm rather certain if I went back to eating Reeses PB cups I go back to loving them in no time. Not going there...

Yes I've noticed both. 9 Months post op, , still have it.

Mine have changed also.

Everything taste so sweet to me and I have to add salt to almost everything.

Even the Protein shakes that I could tolerate before surgery tasted metallic afterward. Is it possible that our new medications, or absence of pre-op meds make a difference.....or how about the fact that because we consume less salt, sugar, butter, etc. we are actually tasting the food instead of the stuff we used to put on it?

For a few weeks post-op, my sense of taste was really dulled. Only really strong flavors didn't taste flat and bland. It wasn't long before everything returned to normal.

I don't know if it was the surgery or if it was my taste buds getting used to not having sugar in my diet that caused the temporary change.

I think cheesecake is the grossest thing in the world now, I can't stand the taste. I used to love it. I hated fish now I crave it. I used to love hot food and can't take it anymore. I can't drink hot coffee but cold coffee is great. I don't like steak too much anymore. I despise Burger King and that used to be my go to.

My taste has changed but my smell hasn't.

I really don't like the way most things taste now.