Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any of you...

I have always been able to lose weight on my own. I think those of us who are overweight most of our lives are great dieters. The problem is we dont stick with it and end up gaining back more than we had to lose in the beginning. I needed to make a permanent life style change to be a healthier person. First off I started working out at Curves, then I stopped smoking, then I started my evaluations for this weight loss surgery. My next step is Yoga and Meditation It a whole new way of thinking.... I am going to take care of myself, body, mind and soul.

Now that I have had the surgery I wish i would have had it 20 years ago, but not sure I was ready..I am now. I am so happy for the decisions I have made. I sleep better, have a better mental outlook, no more hips, knees and feet pain..I just feel better all over.

Its your choice and your decision take time to think it out and make sure your ready to commit to a healthier lifestyle. I wsh you the best!

For me when I dieted, there was always a goal.......no, more of a finish line. And when I reached it, I mentally assumed I was done with the diet. I was sure that once I got the weight off, I could control my eating. But reality is why I'm here now.

No regrets. I tried choosing to do it myself way too many times and failed. Now there's no more choices. And there is a certain amount of comfort in knowing the amount of food I can eat is permanently limited now. My mind can get used to a life long change of eating habits. It has to. My goal now is to be adjusted to eating healthy and in correct portions by the time I reach my desired weight.

It's all good. :)

For me when I dieted, there was always a goal.......no, more of a finish line. And when I reached it, I mentally assumed I was done with the diet. I was sure that once I got the weight off, I could control my eating. But reality is why I'm here now.

No regrets. I tried choosing to do it myself way too many times and failed. Now there's no more choices. And there is a certain amount of comfort in knowing the amount of food I can eat is permanently limited now. My mind can get used to a life long change of eating habits. It has to. My goal now is to be adjusted to eating healthy and in correct portions by the time I reach my desired weight.

It's all good. :)

What is left to say! Fantastic comment! :)

I know I could have lost weight without bariatric surgery. After all, I have done it many, many times in the past. I had done it with fad diet methods and doing it purely by eating less and working out. Grapefruit, cabbage, Atkins, South Beach ... each one, I lost weight. A lot of weight. I was very successful at them, because, they work.

But maintaining them ... now that is something else altogether different. Could I really maintain the grapefruit or cabbage diet ... ? No ... Atkins? Well, I lost about 40 pounds in 6 months on that one, and lord knows I tried to maintain, but alas, a year later, I had gained 50. One injury after another derailed my intense exercise routine, so add another 40 there.

The bottom line, for me, was yes, I could lose weight "on my own", but I had great difficulty maintaining. I have been at goal and maintaining just fine for over 2 years now. This is something I have never been able to do before and has been the help I was looking for with VSG.

I went to a weight loss/healthy cooking class last Friday night with some friends. The instructor was also a Weight Watchers leader and talked a lot about how it just takes the positive attitude, exercise, making healthy food choices, etc. Somewhere along the way, she got on the topic of WLS and said things like "I can't believe people would mutilate themselves..." and all they (we) really need to do is maintain the positive attitude and stick to it" -- "Failure is not an option"...

Only one of the friends there with me knows I'm planning surgery and fortunately she didn't say anything because I really didn't want to get into it with this person that obviously knows everything. God knows if Weight Watchers worked for everyone, I wouldn't be having surgery now. It used to be when I tried WW I would lose 10-15 pounds pretty easy in the first 1-2 weeks and then nothing and then gain it all back. The last time I tried it back in October, I didn't even lose anything to start with.

I think it's normal to think "Have I exhausted all my options" before turning to something as drastic as surgery. I kind of felt the same way as I dropped divorce papers in the mail "Did I do everything I could to save this marriage?" But if you've researched the surgery and made a decision along with a health professional that this is the best thing for you, feel confident in your decision.

Best wishes!

I went to a weight loss/healthy cooking class last Friday night with some friends. The instructor was also a Weight Watchers leader and talked a lot about how it just takes the positive attitude, exercise, making healthy food choices, etc. Somewhere along the way, she got on the topic of WLS and said things like "I can't believe people would mutilate themselves..." and all they (we) really need to do is maintain the positive attitude and stick to it" -- "Failure is not an option"...

Only one of the friends there with me knows I'm planning surgery and fortunately she didn't say anything because I really didn't want to get into it with this person that obviously knows everything. God knows if Weight Watchers worked for everyone, I wouldn't be having surgery now. It used to be when I tried WW I would lose 10-15 pounds pretty easy in the first 1-2 weeks and then nothing and then gain it all back. The last time I tried it back in October, I didn't even lose anything to start with.

I think it's normal to think "Have I exhausted all my options" before turning to something as drastic as surgery. I kind of felt the same way as I dropped divorce papers in the mail "Did I do everything I could to save this marriage?" But if you've researched the surgery and made a decision along with a health professional that this is the best thing for you, feel confident in your decision.

Best wishes!

Oh man, I would not have been able to keep my mouth shut at that cooking class. While perhaps (and I say "perhaps" with great reserve) someone with 10-15 pounds to lose might be able to lose it and keep it off with a "positive attitude", I know of no one IRL that has lost a substantial amount of weight and kept it off without WLS. And in fact, even obesity researchers cannot find a substantial sample of formerly morbidly obese people who have lost weight and kept it off by traditional diet and exercise.

Revisit that WW leader in five years. How much weight did she lose prior to becoming a WW leader? If it was over 75 pounds, I guarantee that if you were to see her in five years, she would no longer be a WW leader because she would have put back on some, all, or more of that weight. And it will serve her right for being so insultingly short-sighted. As if "will power and positive attitude" is all it takes!!! What an idiot.

i was a professional dieter too and gained andlost gained andlost and G"AINED because my elderly CAPRI

CORN perfectionist mother lost 50 and said,it's just amtter of will power and i said what ur murder?

p.s. i ama leo ucan imagine the rest!

Ouch Ginger Snaps: I kind of felt the same way as I dropped divorce papers in the mail "Did I do everything I could to save this marriage?"

You are a strong person...best wishes on your new journey sweetie!!!

Feel like maybe you can do this on your own without the help of surgery?

I have learned that "on your own" is far more than just weight loss.

If you told me I needed to lose 150lbs and would never have to worry about it again then I'm your guy. I dropped 170+ pounds about 10 years ago doing the low carb thing (gained it all back plus another 90 something). I was very successful at losing weight but I never actually adopted a lifestyle change. This band of mine has helped me learn so much about myself. It is far more than a weight loss tool to me.

"Revisit that WW leader in five years. How much weight did she lose prior to becoming a WW leader?"

She was bragging how she lost 30 pounds and kept it off for the past 10 years (I think) and she looks like she weighs about 110 now. So, I don't think she completely understands me and my situation at all or obesity in general.

I chose not to say anything because I just don't want to waste the energy to argue with people who have already made their minds up. I'm not going to change her and I'd rather just move on with my life since I'll probably never see her again. Although, a little devil was sitting on my shoulder telling me to tell her I'm having surgery and watch her squirm as she tried to wriggle out of what she had just said! :lol: :lol: :lol:

@@Ginger Snaps I think I would have snapped if she had said that in front of me.... For crying out loud...No one would or almost no one would go through all of this for 30 lbs. I would have just considered myself rounded..lol

I certainly would make it a point to see her when you are there and fill her in on your success...Daft lady!

No I would never have been able to do this on willpower alone. I tried for 25 years, just yo yo . With the sleeve and willpower I have been able to do it. I am excited about the future because I do not feel like a victim any longer. I wish I did it 10 years ago!

Feel like maybe you can do this on your own without the help of surgery?

Never. I was almost 62 when I got the band. So I would say I failed many many times.

Had to log in in response to this one...going through it right now....

Been banded for 3 -1/2 years, have been in the green since 5 months after surgery, have been 100% successful for 2-1/2 years now.

New lifestyle, new eating habits, all hunger, cravings and portion sizes under control, lost all possible excess weight and body fat.....all as a result of this Lap band surgery....

Been this way long enough, I started to forget I even had the surgery...everything became day to day,. Might as well have had knee replacement 3-1/2 years ago and have returned to my normal life. Or better yet, someone who has a pacemaker, and after 3 years forgets the pacemaker is even there....

Here's the pitfall...I started to think it was ME that was doing this, that I am in charge of all of this....it has become so easy and thoughtless for the past few years, I was starting to think the surgery perhaps was not even needed, I had the power and could have done it all the time.

Just needed this surgery as a "Training" period, a tool to get me re-educated...that's all.

So my last visit, against the PA and Dr.'s advice, I had 1/2cc removed....thinking if that went well, I would get another 1/2cc removed later...and so forth....

Well, 1/2 cc threw everything upside down, totally knocked out that perfect balance I have been enjoying, and it has been a disaster...I now know it is the band that is in charge, and not me...I now know, and had to remind myself the hard way perhaps, the reason I had this surgery in the first place.

It has been 2 weeks and I have been struggling, fighting off hunger and eating everyday....started to gain weight after being rock steady for years....My Glucose #'s jumped a few digits....

Again, imagine someone having their pacemaker removed after 3-1/2 years because everything is so easy and good, they take it for granted......same thing...I forget just how much this device is doing in the background....

I finally get back in today to have that 1/2 cc replaced....it's been 2 weeks and I don't like it.

So yes, I KNOW it is the lap band Surgery, and no matter how good, successful I may be, I had to be reminded it is not me doing the work....there was a reason I had this surgery. A real medical need!

I learned my lesson the hard way!

Edited by B-52